a separate pickup for each guitar string- *update*

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

a separate pickup for each guitar string- *update*

Post by ubertar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Is this something many people would be interested in? Someone commissioned me to make a set of six one-string pickups, each with its own output, and now I'm wondering if this is something other people would want too. It would be in a strat-style single coil case, sealed in wax and copper shielded. The possibilities for recording seem really interesting-- hard pan the E, D and B to one side, and the A, G and E to the other. Or combine them in pairs left, right and center. Or give each string its own pan space. Not to mention what can be done with effects-- each string could have its own distortion, phase, whatever...
Last edited by ubertar on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:46 pm

I have thought of this before but I could not quite grasp how it would be done.

I would think the strings would just be picked up by all the pups anyways.

If it could be done, think about recording finger picking and spanish style guitar playing being panned. My ears tingle when I think about that sound.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Back in the day I believe Kramer made a guitar called the Ripley Stereo guitar that did this. You can also do this with the digital les paul.

I found a link for the Kramer. http://www.vintagekramer.com/ripley.htm

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

Post by aaronaustin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:05 pm

I've got a friend who has an old ovation (70s I think) that has a stereo out. Every other string is panned hard L and R. Interesting idea.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Holy Wolf wrote:I have thought of this before but I could not quite grasp how it would be done.

I would think the strings would just be picked up by all the pups anyways.

If it could be done, think about recording finger picking and spanish style guitar playing being panned. My ears tingle when I think about that sound.
It can be done. Each pickup is small, and only picks up a single string. I've made these kinds of pickups before.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Trick Fall wrote:Back in the day I believe Kramer made a guitar called the Ripley Stereo guitar that did this. You can also do this with the digital les paul.

I found a link for the Kramer. http://www.vintagekramer.com/ripley.htm
Cool, thanks. That makes more sense if your goal is panning, vs. having 6 output jacks. But if you want separate effects on each string, you're out of luck.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 pm

What do you think would be a fair price for a setup like I described in the first post? I already made arrangements for this commission, but I'm thinking about making some more. Materials aren't too costly, but it's a lot of work. Making such small pickups requires using wire that's much thinner than normal, and the standard wire is pretty thin to start with. It's like the difference between a hair and a spiderweb. Very hard to work with.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 pm

ubertar wrote:What do you think would be a fair price for a setup like I described in the first post? I already made arrangements for this commission, but I'm thinking about making some more. Materials aren't too costly, but it's a lot of work. Making such small pickups requires using wire that's much thinner than normal, and the standard wire is pretty thin to start with. It's like the difference between a hair and a spiderweb. Very hard to work with.

Well it sounds to me like it's something that just anybody prob could not do. I would seriously take into consideration how many people can make these pups and if your the only one producing them. If its something that catches on others may approach you.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 am

would you just be making the pickup, or would you be fitting them into the guitar itself?

I would be more interested in a retrofit to an existing guitar, supplied by me.
The pickup alone would not be the whole issue here, IMHO.

I would have this done to some guitar if that was something you were going to offer.

Let me know, man!!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:21 am

I know James Lollar used to make this kind of pickup, but I think he discontinued making them.

I personally would be interested, because I've always wanted some kind of split pickup for a baritone- distorted high strings for leads, clean low strings for bass lines.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:32 am

joel hamilton wrote:would you just be making the pickup, or would you be fitting them into the guitar itself?

I would have this done to some guitar if that was something you were going to offer.

Let me know, man!!
I could do that. I don't have a router though, so if you wanted 6 pan pots, or six jacks, they'd have to fit in the existing cavity. Make me an offer.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:41 am

ubertar wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:would you just be making the pickup, or would you be fitting them into the guitar itself?

Let me know, man!!
I could do that. I don't have a router though, so if you wanted 6 pan pots, or six jacks, they'd have to fit in the existing cavity. Make me an offer.
If i can figure out the woodwork aspect, I will email you.
This could be cool...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:41 am

Ok-- it looks like there's enough interest for me to go ahead and make a few sets, and go from there. It's much easier to make a bunch of coils at once than to shut down and start again, so I'll get coiling the coils... it's too damn hot to solder today.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:45 am

ubertar wrote:Ok-- it looks like there's enough interest for me to go ahead and make a few sets, and go from there. It's much easier to make a bunch of coils at once than to shut down and start again, so I'll get coiling the coils... it's too damn hot to solder today.
I hear that. it is supposed to be 100 here today. youch. already... does that mean it will be 200 out in august?

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:11 am

joel hamilton wrote:
ubertar wrote:Ok-- it looks like there's enough interest for me to go ahead and make a few sets, and go from there. It's much easier to make a bunch of coils at once than to shut down and start again, so I'll get coiling the coils... it's too damn hot to solder today.
I hear that. it is supposed to be 100 here today. youch. already... does that mean it will be 200 out in august?
I don't know about that, but it's supposed to get better by Wednesday, and Thurs and Fri should be nice too. Tomorrow will be as bad as today.