Reaper for OSX at 0.98--beta soon

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Reaper for OSX at 0.98--beta soon

Post by dgrieser » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:17 am

I didn't have much luck with the 0.80s versions of Reaper, but 0.98 is running great. I think my DAW needs (not huge) will easily be met by Reaper. I'm very impressed with how simple it is, and how deep can be, too, as you dig into it. And the plugins are way better than anything you get with Cubase LE. As fast as he works, Justin should have this running full tilt in no time at all, but I haven't found anything that doesn't work as I've explored it. Goodbye, Cubase LE. Logic, ProTools, I'll never know ya.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:22 am

I'm really happy to see this. I've got lots of clients that do home tracking with Reaper. Having a Mac version available is great for me. I can open their projects and consolidate their audio for them before importing into DP or Cubase for mixing at my place. It's honestly easier for me to do it for them than to explain how to do it.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:22 am

I've been interested in Reaper for a while and it may well be my next purchase. But I wanted to clarify something. Cubase LE is the free version of that title that is bundled with audio interfaces, effects pedals, and keyboards. Reaper had better beat Cubase LE, considering Reaper isn't free.
Prog out with your cog out.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:36 am

cubase 4 is bunk.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 am

????? wrote:cubase 4 is bunk.
Care to elaborate?

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:53 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:It's honestly easier for me to do it for them than to explain how to do it.
And it consolidates everything with one command instead of having to do it track by track as well.
superaction80 wrote:Reaper had better beat Cubase LE, considering Reaper isn't free.
LE has a limited number of tracks, VSTi's, and all kinds of other lameness if i remember correctly. Reaper will only be limited by you CPU/RAM and creativity (the routing is incredible!)
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 pm

John Jeffers wrote:
Care to elaborate?
bloated and buggy. as one who has used nuendo 3, it is a severe downgrade.

with logic 8 priced at $500, I can't comprehend how cubase 4 is competitive. I think they've raised the bar here, with what one should expect to come with a program. cubase stock plugs = LOLZ
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:53 pm

All I was trying to get across is: if you've been thinking about trying Reaper on Mac, this latest version has been working great for me.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:06 am

????? wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:
Care to elaborate?
bloated and buggy. as one who has used nuendo 3, it is a severe downgrade.

with logic 8 priced at $500, I can't comprehend how cubase 4 is competitive. I think they've raised the bar here, with what one should expect to come with a program. cubase stock plugs = LOLZ
I don't use Cubase much anymore. But, Cubase 4 added a ton of really useful functionality. (Finally) being able to set the output of groups or FX tracks as the input of a new audio file and record it back in in real time is a HUGE upgrade to the previous Cubase functionality. HUGE.
Also, if you're mixing ITB, the new control room features are fantastic!
As far as the built in plugs, I found the Roomworks reverb to be very useful. I also think that Cubase has one of the best software de-essers available anywhere. And, it's included for free. Magneto is cool. Karlette is a cool delay.
What kind of bugs were you running up against? I used Cubase 4 for a few months of sessions with no show-stopping bugs or quirks.

It seems like every single Reaper thread on the internet has at least one person who uses the thread to bash some other program. I'll admit that this does kinda turn me off from the program a little bit. Especially when it's pretty general slagging with few (if any) specifics given.

I can't think of any products that I've purchased that have set me off on a crusade AGAINST other products. I'm a big fan of a lot of the stuff I use. But, none of it has ever really made me want to root against another product.

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 am

subatomic pieces wrote: It seems like every single Reaper thread on the internet has at least one person who uses the thread to bash some other program. I'll admit that this does kinda turn me off from the program a little bit. Especially when it's pretty general slagging with few (if any) specifics given.

I can't think of any products that I've purchased that have set me off on a crusade AGAINST other products. I'm a big fan of a lot of the stuff I use. But, none of it has ever really made me want to root against another product.
FYI -The vast majority (including myself) of the Reaper community feels the same way.
Reaper is a good DAW. Just use it. No need to trash other DAWs.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am

TheForgotten wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote: It seems like every single Reaper thread on the internet has at least one person who uses the thread to bash some other program. I'll admit that this does kinda turn me off from the program a little bit. Especially when it's pretty general slagging with few (if any) specifics given.

FYI -The vast majority (including myself) of the Reaper community feels the same way.
Reaper is a good DAW. Just use it. No need to trash other DAWs.
+1 here.

I am using Reaper on PC and DP 4.12 on Mac. I have used ProTools and Sonar, etc. and they all seem perfectly fine. They all have their differences and that's a good thing. Gives room for that "to each her/his own" thing.
not to worry, just keep tracking....