wood floor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

wood floor

Post by Holy Wolf » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:34 am

Wood floors in studio good bad or depends?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 am

Good.

Very good.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 am

wood floors (real ones, not this laminated "engineered" jigsaw puzzle lithographed bullshit, but actual wood floors!) are really nice to have for many reasons.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 pm

in spite of the idea that many up and coming "auralex" studios might present..

wood is awesome.

playing in a properly tuned wood room sounds amazing. it's the sound of many awesome records for the past 50 years.

:)
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Wow, that makes me feel A LOT better. I was reading some article and some guy was going off about how wood was bad and it really did not make sense and this guy had a lot of odd ideas.I did not really take it seriously but I like playing my guitar in a room thats fully wood floors. It is real maple flooring, not the laminated garbage either.

About the correctly treated room part. I have another post that I put up with my very artistic diagram of the area I have now, to setup and record but I do not know how to treat a room. I have a lot of foam and some sound blankets. I know I will need bass traps, but in ever corner? I think I am going to build my own bass traps.

I think foaming out a closet and doing vocals in it should be good (at least rick ruben thinks so hahaha).

I was also thinking about building an iso booth.

Should I do anything with the ceilings?

Thanks for the help

Cheers
The Wolf

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Holy Wolf wrote:I think foaming out a closet and doing vocals in it should be good (at least rick ruben thinks so hahaha).
boo

fuck foam.

use carpet. it sounds more natural, IMO, than that auralex garbage that adds a boxy, honky, dead quality to every room covered in it.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:08 am

So just carpet all the walls and the closet door? that does not sound like it would do much. What kind of carpet and how thick? with or without carpet pad?

Thanks

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:48 am

Most of the frequencies that come from the average human voice get eaten up by carpet. There will be minimal reflection. Thicker carpet is better, but when you're going for a dead space the science is way less important than understanding reflections in a live room. Don't crunch the numbers just toss some carpet up and sing in there. You'll probably be set.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:34 pm

If you have hard floor (good), then you will definitely want absorption on the ceiling above it. For more on this, see the Hard Floor, Soft Ceiling section of Ethan's Acoustics FAQ.

Wood sounds good when used correctly, it is mostly reflective. Wood floors generally don't sound too different from concrete floors or linoleum. Many old-school studios use slot resonators built from wood, which adds another tone entirely.

I disagree that most of the frequencies that come from the average human voice get eaten up by carpet. Most carpet does nothing at all from somewhere in the upper midrange on down (depending on how thick the carpet is, and what the material is). No carpet that I know of has any effect at all from the midbass on down.

If you want to treat a vocal booth, I recommend bass trapping and full range absorption. Though in most instances, I don't recommend building a vocal booth for the average home studio.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 pm

JWL wrote:If you have hard floor (good), then you will definitely want absorption on the ceiling above it. For more on this, see the Hard Floor, Soft Ceiling section of Ethan's Acoustics FAQ.

Wood sounds good when used correctly, it is mostly reflective. Wood floors generally don't sound too different from concrete floors or linoleum. Many old-school studios use slot resonators built from wood, which adds another tone entirely.

I disagree that most of the frequencies that come from the average human voice get eaten up by carpet. Most carpet does nothing at all from somewhere in the upper midrange on down (depending on how thick the carpet is, and what the material is). No carpet that I know of has any effect at all from the midbass on down.

If you want to treat a vocal booth, I recommend bass trapping and full range absorption. Though in most instances, I don't recommend building a vocal booth for the average home studio.
So in a closet, I dont have much room to bass trap it, can I just use foam and foam the hell out of it? thanks

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Holy Wolf wrote:So in a closet, I dont have much room to bass trap it, can I just use foam and foam the hell out of it? thanks
Well, you could. That doesn't mean you should.

Or more accurately, I wouldn't *only* treat the room with foam. I'd put 4-6" of rockwool, cotton, or fiberglass on the ceiling, preferably spaced down from the ceiling 4-6". Cover that with cloth. There, you have bass trapping.

Then you can use foam on the walls to deaden it, though I think a thin layer of rigid fiberglass (1") would be more effective, and would take up a bit less of the room space.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:04 pm

JWL wrote:
Holy Wolf wrote:So in a closet, I dont have much room to bass trap it, can I just use foam and foam the hell out of it? thanks
Well, you could. That doesn't mean you should.

Or more accurately, I wouldn't *only* treat the room with foam. I'd put 4-6" of rockwool, cotton, or fiberglass on the ceiling, preferably spaced down from the ceiling 4-6". Cover that with cloth. There, you have bass trapping.

Then you can use foam on the walls to deaden it, though I think a thin layer of rigid fiberglass (1") would be more effective, and would take up a bit less of the room space.
ok so with the fiberglass on the wall, is that all I would put up? Would that be good to breathe in? have a brand recommendation?

thanks

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:01 am

Well, you'd need to cover the fiberglass with cloth to keep the fiberglass in. Owens Corning 703 is sort of the standard, but any kind of rigid fiberglass (Knauf, Johns Manville, etc.) will work. There are premade panels you can go with, too.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:02 am

Holy Wolf wrote:ok so with the fiberglass on the wall, is that all I would put up? Would that be good to breathe in? have a brand recommendation?

thanks
if you're worried about health issues, may i recommend UltraTouch. good stuff, WAY easier to work with than fiberglass.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks