RNP vs Sytek mpx 4aii

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

RNP vs Sytek mpx 4aii

Post by losthighway » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm ready to step up. My Focusrite Octopre might dazzle clients with its many knobs but a pro preamp it is not. It is time to step from upper intro preamps to lower pro .

I need to decide what to save my money for.

FMR RNP or Sytek mpx4aii

Obviously one has four channels and the other has two, but try to ignore that for a second and just think solid quality. Then maybe side questions i.e. burr brown vs. no. Overall value per channel etc.

Thank you for helping me. I know there are threads about these, but that's not the same as someone familiar with both focusing on their sound and usability. :wink:

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:26 pm

sytek...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 pm

sytek for real.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 am

As a happy RNP owner, I would tell you to buy a Sytek, especially if you record drums, and if you're looking for preamps that capture attack and detail.

As a happy RNP owner, I would also tell you to seriously consider a Hamptone, either the JFET or tube model, especially if you're looking for a "pro", enhanced tone.

I think the RNP is extremely useful if (a) they're the only 2 preamps you can get and you have less than $1K, or (b) you're more of a personal project setup.... the tones I get from it are not amazingly spectacular, but very solid and definitely doesn't sound like a cheap preamp. The 1/2 rack portability helps me with remote recording gigs, and the high gain works well with pretty much any mic.... that being said, the Sytek is probably even better for the high gain application (e.g. ribbons and LDD).

If you record a lot of clients, and you run a studio as a commercial outfit, I'd go beyond the RNP.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: RNP vs Sytek mpx 4aii

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:31 am

losthighway wrote:I'm ready to step up. My Focusrite Octopre might dazzle clients with its many knobs but a pro preamp it is not. It is time to step from upper intro preamps to lower pro .

I need to decide what to save my money for.

FMR RNP or Sytek mpx4aii

Obviously one has four channels and the other has two, but try to ignore that for a second and just think solid quality. Then maybe side questions i.e. burr brown vs. no. Overall value per channel etc.

Thank you for helping me. I know there are threads about these, but that's not the same as someone familiar with both focusing on their sound and usability. :wink:
How about from Semi-pro to Pro?

Get a Neve 9098, a Neve 1081 or 1073, racked, or an API lunchbox that you can buy more preamps for later on, etc...

The biggest difference will be from what you have to the real deal, not just a little step up. IMO.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:45 pm

if you're solder inclined, check out seventh circle audio... i have some kits on their way right now from them... i'm excited. great sounding pres at a pretty reasonable price. depending on which pres you opt for, 4 channels could cost you from $900-$2000.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:07 pm

I can't comment on the RNP but the sytek just owns. Really Really great pre especially for drums or when you need alot of gain.

Also, I second the SCA suggestion. If you are into DIY, you can build some really really nice pres for the same money.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

resonate
audio school

Post by resonate » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:21 am

Is RNP usable with ribbon mics? Cascade/Shinybox gainwise?

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:28 am

Is RNP usable with ribbon mics? Cascade/Shinybox gainwise?
Depends on what you're recording. If you need more than 60dB on a given source, a ribbon is probably the wrong mic for the job.