does sweetwater know when to give up?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Oh yeah sure, I remember. That was, like, right before I grew this LONG WHITE BEARD.
Jesus man, I'm glad I'm not waiting on you for snake antivenom.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: does sweetwater know when to give up?

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:55 pm

????? wrote:I emailed one of their reps asking for pricing on some stuff I was considering getting later in the year around february.

he emailed me back once, and I said I may consider it later. then he emails me back asking about the stuff, then I had two missed calls this morning from a number that wound up being sweetwater, and a voice message, where he didn't even get my full name right, asking about those potential purchases..

Seems a little sharkish to me. definitely never giving an audio vendor my real number again...
Have you ever got hit online by a salesperson? I just about freaked when that first happened me. That shit ought to be illegal.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:55 pm

*runs into room, brandishing vial of antidote proudly*

i got it! i got it!

mjau?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:56 pm

jeez way to ruin my comedic timing jeff.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:00 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:jeez way to ruin my comedic timing jeff.
Yeah, no kidding. First the Garbage joke, now this.

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:02 pm

In November, I placed my first Sweetwater order and got the requisite voice mail and email to "confirm my order" (isn't that what the "Confirmation Page" is for??) Anyway, I responded to the email telling him I was out of town all week and wouldn't be reachable by phone, and could he please ship my order so that I wouldn't have to wait until the following week. Somehow, he bought that. He shipped my order, sent me an introductory email that I promptly deleted, and I haven't heard from him since. (crosses fingers)

I probably just jinxed myself by telling you guys.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 pm

i called him and told him you were looking to do a $20,000 upgrade to your studio.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:16 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i called him and told him you were looking to do a $20,000 upgrade to your studio.
*orders an ICON in tonic889's name using his Mastercard*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:48 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i coaxed a blistering solo outta your mom last night.
Really, the blisters are your own fault.

I like how every time you call a local place and they don't have whatever it is, they're like "But we can order that".

You know, I'm calling you on a PHONE LINE, so I probably have interknob access. So I can order it too!
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:50 pm

wrenhunter wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i coaxed a blistering solo outta your mom last night.
Really, the blisters are your own fault.

I like how every time you call a local place and they don't have whatever it is, they're like "But we can order that".

You know, I'm calling you on a PHONE LINE, so I probably have interknob access. So I can order it too!
You are so right. Any local store that still has the lights on must be run by idiots.
Prog out with your cog out.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm

Well, I have a more positive spin on the Sweetwater calling saga. I bought a Moog Voyager used back in March. I called Sweetwater to order the Moog hard case for it and my salesperson said it was out of stock. She asked if I'd like to be put on the list for one. I said, "No, I'll try another company, thanks." "No problem, thank you."

Fast-forward one month. I was never able to find the case from any other retailer that was the same price as Sweetwater and I just kinda forgot about it. I get a call one day and it's the salesperson. "Just calling to see if you ever got that Moog case because we have one in stock now." "Well, as a matter of fact I didn't." "Would you like us to send it to you?" "Why, yes I would."

Sweet!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 pm

superaction80 wrote:3-The follow-up is a good thing, usually. I used to tell my guys to skip call-backs on accessories, unless they had a good relationship with the client or they knew from talking to the client that there maybe be issues with that particular transaction. But, Sweetwater doesn't have the luxury of that type of personal interaction with their clients.
Ironic, then, that they're the only company these days that, when I call, I have to wait to talk to my personal salesperson (let's call him "Brad") to put in an order. If I call and "Brad" isn't available, I have to leave my info and wait for "Brad" to call me back.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 pm

wrenhunter wrote: I like how every time you call a local place and they don't have whatever it is, they're like "But we can order that".

having been in MI retail as well... the "we can order it" line is sometimes a big seller. amazingly, some people actually like to buy directly from a person, so that if they have a problem, or need help figuring out how to use their new equipment or, apparently not having access to the message board community, need help deciding what to get in the first place, they know who to talk to. i had a few customers who were willing to spend 10-20% more to buy locally versus ordering on the internet (our store hated its salespeople and desperately wanted all of us to go bankrupt, so they had all sorts of tricks to make it hard for us to price match and still get a paycheck) just so they knew they had someone to talk to if things went wrong or they needed some help getting started. plus... sales tax is sometimes less than shipping and if you're sales tax exempt... well!
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:35 pm

I've had a really good association with my Sweetwater rep for going on 8 years now. He's a great guy. That is all.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:41 am

scott macdonald wrote:Sweetwater order, a play in two acts:

ACT ONE:

Me: places order online ...

... two seconds pass, home phone rings

Sweetwater: HI, this is so-and-so with Sweetwater, i see you've ordered two rack trays and a six-foot xlr cable, is there anything else I can help you with today?!?

Me: (stifling giggle) No, thanks, that's it.

Sweetwater: OK, great, my name is so-and-so, be sure to call me for all your audio needs!

*curtain*

ACT TWO:

... one month has passed ... the phone rings

Me: Hello?

Sweetwater: HI, this is so-and-so with Sweetwater, how are those rack trays working out for you?

Me: (again stifling giggle) They're great, thanks.

Sweetwater: OK, great, my name is so-and-so, be sure to call me for all your audio needs!

*curtain*

*end*
I literally had that exact experience with a SINGLE pack of rack screws. No joke.