Questions about an SM7B

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:34 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you consider a good deal for a SM7 to be? The cheapest price for a SM7B that I found over here in Europe was about 750 USD (499 EUR).
350 dollars for a quality vocal mic is a very good deal in my book.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 am

I got my SM7 (original model) on Ebay for $230 USD- A pretty good deal on either side of the pond, though I did have to but a new windscreen from Shure. Maybe they are less common/distributed in Europe?

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:12 am

Max wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you consider a good deal for a SM7 to be? The cheapest price for a SM7B that I found over here in Europe was about 750 USD (499 EUR).
350 dollars for a quality vocal mic is a very good deal in my book.
Well, you can normally buy them for $350 new:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM7B/

I'm with Jmiller. Is distribution scarce in Europe? I didn't think they would be more than twice as much overseas.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

O_ellinas
studio intern

Post by O_ellinas » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:04 am

Yes. US gear costs twice as much in Europe generally so a brand new SM7 sells for like EUR 550 ($700 or something). I bought a Gibson bass last year EUR2300, when the same model was selling for $1500 (in the usa). But exclusive distribution arrangements made it impossible to order one direct from the USA.

Given the current exchange rate it is a very good idea to order one directly from the USA. Even with VAT and customs, you will still get it a lot cheaper. There is a guy on ebay who sells audio stuff at a good price under the audioprostar nickname, he ships to Europe too, and regularly carries SM7s.

Or try ebay. I just bagged a SM7A in fairly good condition for EUR 160!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:46 am

I'd say buy it new.

It's not that expensive, and I've found that, especially with dynamics that are considered good at taking abuse, that the ones on ebay have probably taken some already. Even if you save $100, it's probably not worth the pain in the ass if something's wrong with it.

I got my sm7 after watching the Wilco movie about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and seeing that they used one on some of Jeff Tweedy's vocals. I love how that album sounds...

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't an sm7 used alot to record Michael Jackson's vocals on most of the Thriller album?

On a side note... I also like RE20's to fill the same needs sometimes.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am

I just got a quote from full compass for $329
there's someone always selling them(new) on ebay for $350 OBO their lowest price is $329 (free shipping though)
I'll most likely go with Full Compass and pay the $12? shipping just in case something went wrong.

Used they go for around $300 and up so I would say buy new.

come on and stimulate my package already:)

FirstNLast
audio school

Post by FirstNLast » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm

the mic has excellant backside rejection, so is one of the best bets when recording a player and his instrument. john mayer is said to have tracked his vocals in the control room avec monitors and all.again, great backside rejection.

due to the above, it's very forgiving to poorly treated spaces.

it takes eq every well and is easy to seat in a mix

not nearly as sibilant as condensers, especially cheap china mics.

not my first choice for quiet, timid forest creature type vocals, but excels on loud or dynamic vocals.

don't be fooled.the mic does need a robust preamp, regardless of what the naysayers comments that "it works great with any preamp." not true.

the proximity effect of the mic is very good compared to some highend ldc's.

it's good.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 pm

The SM7 is a great mic. I just used it on Snare Top last night. Gave me just a bit more beef than the standard 57. Rejected the Hi Hat amaizingly well. This same band we used it on background vocals. For this song the Peluso 22 47le won out. But this was our second choice for this guys voice and the Bassists voice which is similar in tone. So to give a contrast we used it on backgrounds.

I would say I use the SM7 at least on one thing in every recording I do. Great Mic.

Mike

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 pm

The SM7 is a great mic. I just used it on Snare Top last night. Gave me just a bit more beef than the standard 57. Rejected the Hi Hat amaizingly well. This same band we used it on background vocals. For this song the Peluso 22 47le won out. But this was our second choice for this guys voice and the Bassists voice which is similar in tone. So to give a contrast we used it on backgrounds.

I would say I use the SM7 at least on one thing in every recording I do. Great Mic.

Mike

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm

DrummerMan wrote: And, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't an sm7 used alot to record Michael Jackson's vocals on most of the Thriller album?
Yes sir this is true.
Harry wrote:I just got a quote from full compass for $329
there's someone always selling them(new) on ebay for $350 OBO their lowest price is $329 (free shipping though)
I'll most likely go with Full Compass and pay the $12? shipping just in case something went wrong.

Used they go for around $300 and up so I would say buy new.

come on and stimulate my package already:)
Really?? that's sweet. Definitely buying it new from Full Compass then. I'd rather buy this particular mic new than used.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:43 pm

I don't know if I am adding anything but for what it's worth I've found that the SM7b works well in situations where you'd consider using a ribbon microphone. I guess that's another way of saying it won't harsh your mellow. I concur with everyone's assessment regarding the gain in that it does require a substantial amount to compete with other mics so getting the gain structure right can be tricky. That said, it's such a great all around mic that you should own one.

O_ellinas
studio intern

Post by O_ellinas » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:56 am

And if you are in Europe, you should definitely look into Beyers. You can easily find a used M69 for pocket money. (Got one off ebay for EUR40) Its a fantastic microphone that sounds warm like a SM7 but has a hot output and a hypercardioid pattern. The amount of side and back rejection is unbelievable.

A great mic really. SM7 performance at SM57 price.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:04 am

The SM7 is one of those "point and shoot" kinda mics. It will work for everything. In most of my sessions, I just leave it on the stand and move around to various things.

Great vocal mic, but also awesome on drums, room mics for drums, dobro, el. guitar, bass amp, etc.

It's a worthwhile investment, even if it cost twice as much.

BTW, I got mine at GC for $300 even after haggling with the "salesman" a bit.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

Post by jmpace » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Is there a difference between an SM7 and SM7B?

BTW, I just got an email from Steve Chadie who says he used this on Bill Callahan's (Smog) vocals while recording "A River Aint Too Much to Love."
I'm bringin' lumberjack back!

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:19 pm

I have the SM7 and SM7b. Sound pretty much the same to me.