TinyXP: Anybody using?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

TinyXP: Anybody using?

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:11 am

I self-record using a TC Konnekt and mostly Tracktion (sometimes Reaper and Live). My music computer never connects to the interwad. I see that there are home-baked versions of XP out there under the general moniker "TinyXP". They are touted as the ticket for hi-performance low-featured gaming and such. Anybody using these? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

(Of course I'd be using Ubuntu if there were any drivers for my FW card, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards)

(Of course I know Bill Gates dittn approve of off-label, non-WGA use of his code, but here we are, and I want to know how these things have worked for people)

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 pm

That sounds really interesting. My music computer isn't hooked up to the internet either, and it'd be nice to not have all the extra shit.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Here's what I can report so far: I hastily installed it and it loads REALLY fast. The version I found is called "Beast" and lacks 1394 drivers, which is a bummer. I am working on it.

I like the ultra-fast loading and the apparent minimal use of RAM/system resources. I will report back after another session of tweaking later tonight or so.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:22 am

i'dd like to know more as well...

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:07 am

one thing..is this something that loads instead of the real XP (like you can choose where the computer boots from or whatever)..or you have to delete your "real" OS (xp/vista/etc) in order to run it?

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am

It's a replacement to your OS (XP, vista, whatever). You can either replace your existing OS with it or run it on another drive/partition and let it create a boot menu for you.

I would caution you, though, that if you're dual booting with Vista you may have to install this FIRST as XP's boot manager may not play well with Vista. I can't say for sure, though, as I've never tried it.
HWJLHC?

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 am

mingus2112 wrote:It's a replacement to your OS (XP, vista, whatever). You can either replace your existing OS with it or run it on another drive/partition and let it create a boot menu for you.
cheers for the advice. running it from another partition would be ideal, but if there's something totally unpredictable, it's vista...i've learned that the hard way.

seems like a really nice application though...maybe if i "downgrade" to XP like i'm thinking..

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 am

running off a "live" CD or thumb drive would be a real bonus.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:25 am

creature.of.habit wrote:seems like a really nice application though...maybe if i "downgrade" to XP like i'm thinking..
diogo, friends don't let friends run Vista!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:55 am

RefD wrote:
creature.of.habit wrote:seems like a really nice application though...maybe if i "downgrade" to XP like i'm thinking..
i hear you ref.

if onyl xp 64 was more widely spread :roll:

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:00 am

RefD wrote:
but more importantly...what the heck are you doing up at this hour?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 am

creature.of.habit wrote:
RefD wrote:
it's late morning over here!

i get up at 5am every day to get things down before spending the rest of the day faking my way through being "SuperDad".

i'm feeling like a failure in that role right now, but that's a confession for another time and place.

evengangstersreadtapeop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by evengangstersreadtapeop » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 am

tinyxp just happens to be one group's name for their XP releases. They're simply XP versions stripped with a program called nlite (vlite if you want to strip down Vista), and then the typical cracks for Windows authorizations and updates. You could roll your own and put the exact drivers for your computer onto 1 disc, including your serial and other settings. Just google nlite, there are tons of articles.
RefD wrote:running off a "live" CD or thumb drive would be a real bonus.
This is possible, you just need to get into your computer's BIOS.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

RefD wrote:
creature.of.habit wrote:
RefD wrote:
it's late morning over here!

i get up at 5am every day to get things down before spending the rest of the day faking my way through being "SuperDad".

i'm feeling like a failure in that role right now, but that's a confession for another time and place.
ah ok. it's early afternoon here so i thought i'dd just throw that up in the air, not really knowing what time it is there ;)

you're doing fine! i'm sure of that much.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:38 am

evengangstersreadtapeop wrote:tinyxp just happens to be one group's name for their XP releases. They're simply XP versions stripped with a program called nlite (vlite if you want to strip down Vista), and then the typical cracks for Windows authorizations and updates. You could roll your own and put the exact drivers for your computer onto 1 disc, including your serial and other settings. Just google nlite, there are tons of articles.
RefD wrote:running off a "live" CD or thumb drive would be a real bonus.
This is possible, you just need to get into your computer's BIOS.
wow, thanks, you make it sound rather simple..but i'll sure give a spin to the vista thing.