Warming things up without compression or EQ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

btswire
gettin' sounds

Warming things up without compression or EQ

Post by btswire » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm wondering if folks can share some insight on warming up tracks without using compression or eq? I have had many situations arise in which I don't want the dynamics altered, and I'm happy with the overall tonal balance. However, things just feel a bit too cold and sterile, and often too harsh. I've heard some say that they will run something through a particular compressor with no attenuation taking place, or through an eq without any gain adjustments. Is this common practice? Can it actually make a notable difference? Any ideas on practices that one might employ within a DAW?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:15 pm

In a case like that I line my signal through an old Tascam PE-40 switched to Bypass so it doesn't run through the PE-40's EQ circuit.

Insta-analog feel. Darkens things up real sweet.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Build a fire or try doing the summing through a real board.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Tape!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 pm

bunsen burner

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 pm

I know a mix engineer in KC who has a rack of Ampex line amps for just this purpose. If you have something with transformers that can help.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:23 pm

drumsound wrote:If you have something with transformers that can help.
Ah, that reminds me of a totally stupid but partially effective trick I've used before.

I have a couple of those Shure "Impedance Matching Transformers" around that takes a mic signal on XLR and makes it a high-impedance signal on 1/4" to go into a guitar amp or something similar. I also keep a few Whilrwind IMP-2 DI boxes around.

So, the stupid trick: run a line out XLR to the Shure thingy, plug the 1/4" out of the Shure thingy into the 1/4" in of the IMP-2 and then plug that into your favorite mic pre. Instant transformers!

Ok, they're not great transformers, but you know. Works as a ground loop eliminator in a pinch (if you lift the ground on the IMP-2).

Even if you don't do exactly what I've done above, maybe you can get some ideas off of my stupidity.

bunny
gettin' sounds

Post by bunny » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 am

and make sure your transformers have jackets on. or at least a sweater.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 am

Tubes. Transformers. Tape. Preferably all at once.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 am

i low pass everything at 4k. takes the edge off.

erm...i run things out to eqs and compressors just for tone all the time. sometimes to tape, occasionally to cassette even. sometimes it works great, other times not so much.

sometimes you just need to eq. notch out some harsh upper mids, or low pass the fizzy crap up top.

there`s loads of "saturation/warmifying" plugs available...i am generally not a fan but everyone else seems to like them...

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:17 am

You can try that Massey tape emulation plug-in for free.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:there`s loads of "saturation/warmifying" plugs available...i am generally not a fan but everyone else seems to like them...
Not much of a fan, either.
Obviously, the best thing you can do is track with "warm" in mind, e.g., mic placement, instrument choice, do you want the heavy pick or the skinny one?, the Sabian B8 hi hats or the Zildjian K's?, etc, etc.

That said, running out to something with transformers can be cool. I run soft synths through my altec 1589 all the time, for that very purpose.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:32 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i low pass everything at 4k. takes the edge off.
:shock:

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:54 am

red cross wrote:Tubes. Transformers. Tape. Preferably all at once.
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't tubes and tape another method of achieving compression and eq?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 pm

FBH wrote:
red cross wrote:Tubes. Transformers. Tape. Preferably all at once.
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't tubes and tape another method of achieving compression and eq?
If you're looking for the tonal shaping provided by them, then all three of those contribute to a bit of compression and EQ, plus the added glory of harmonic distortion (the good kind, depending on your goals). And while you're at it, don't forget that dynamic microphones compress a little too, especially as they get bigger.

I think the problem is that if the mix you have is sounding too "cold", then you need to have a better definition in your head of what "cold" really means. Does it mean 'too accurate', 'too much high frequency', 'too much clarity', really anything other than "not enough warm". Once you figure out in your own mind where your mix is deficient, then you should use whatever tool fixes it. Don't get hung up on not wanting to use a compressor or an equalizer, any more than not wanting to use a hammer to drive a nail or a screwdriver to turn a screw - they are tools that get us to a desired goal.
The catch though is that you have to know what the goal is. That's what turns you into an engineer.
There aren't any knobs on any gear I've seen that say "warm - cold", instead they say pesky things like "8kHz High Shelf" and "-15...+15". It's our job as engineers to hear the sound, analyze it to determine what is good and what is not, and then choose the tools that fix the bad without hurting the good.
If the dynamics are where you want them, meaning all the quietest stuff on the tracks is loud enough to support the overall mix & tonal goals, then you're right not to use a compressor. If all of the frequencies are firing in good proportions and your not hearing more highs than you care for, or mow lows than you care for, then maybe it's not an equalizer. The harmonic distortions provided by all that other stuff is the ringing of harmonics above the frequencies present on the signal you already have. That is, if the bass plays say an A-110, there are some components of 110, 220, 330, 440, 550, 660, etc. in the sound to varying degrees. The harmonic distortions of tubes, transformers, tape, etc. add a little extra ringing on all those harmonics in various proportions (depending on the piece of gear and how hard it's driven) and so change what is the scientific definition of the 'timbre' of that instrument. Some people call that "brighter", some call it "warmer", some call it "thicker", the physics guys call it "richer", and some people just can't believe it's not butter. You just have to know that it's another possible tool.
As for the plug-ins like the tape satuation stuff, the Luminescent Phoenix plugs, and similar devices, they are adding a little bit of all of the above - light compression, gentle EQ, and a bit of harmonic coloration. It's sort of like seasoning with the "Italian Blend" instead of individually mixing in your basil, parsley, rosemary, etc.

-Jeremy