Gear, not guns

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Gear, not guns

Post by aitikin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 pm

pootkao wrote:UPDATE: the ad wasn't placed by API, it was made by the retailer. They emailed me back. The ad has been removed.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread. Its now unnecessary.
I'd say that it still is worth maintaining because there's still a good chance that someone here might see the ad and see the thread and learn not to contact said retailer. BTW, if you would like to settle my curiosity, who was the retailer. PM me if you'd prefer to keep it off the board.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

Patrick McAnulty
gettin' sounds

Post by Patrick McAnulty » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:30 pm

link to ad?
?_?

pootkao
gettin' sounds

Post by pootkao » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:33 am

its been taken down
"I choose not the suffocating anaesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the capital, that is my choice." (Virginia Woolf)

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:42 am

So: war is bad, but bullying some retailer over a (to you) objectionable theme for their ad, and then being cagey about it is okay? Why not give us the identity of the retailer now that they have demonstrated a willingness to retool their ad concept in the face of complaints? Really.

EDIT: Okay, I said that sort of snarkily. What I've been thinking since this thread first showed up: This is an example of PC being taken too far. Do you really think consumers are going to get confused by some 'war' themed ad for an audio device, and go out and shoot a bunch of people or petition their own federal government to invade another nation or something? Even the mention of 'violence' in your signature suggests that you (original poster) are comfortable with violence yourself, but worried that somebody else out there might be too stupid to understand the nuance of the ad. That's how a lot of these "I'm offended" scenarios are: a person, taking offense, actually isn't offended, but is just worried that somebody somewhere might be. There. That's what I really meant to say.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 am

no, i really was oddender.

wow, great typo...imma leave it.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:32 am

what exactly are the ramifications of PC being taken too far? and, how did anyone get bullied here? the poster sent them an email with his concerns and they took the ad down. Is it really tragic that there's one less company using WAR as a marketing gimmick? Oh no! They've really taken this PC thing too far this time! :roll:

I think that it's quite a stretch to suggest that the mention of "violence" in the quote in his signature implies that he's somehow cool with violence. And, it certainly doesn't give us any insight into his opinions of violence as a marketing tool.

I also think that the whole "it doesn't even offend you" argument is lame. I'm white... yet, I'm still greatly offended by racist comments. I'm a man. Yet, I'm still quite offended by sexism. If we're all only offended by things that are directed right at us personally, then we'd have surely missed out on a good 50+ years of social progress where civil rights are concerned.

Political Correctness is a way for people in the majority to show a little bit of compassion and understanding about what it's like to be a minority. The backlash against "PC" is because people with unpopular beliefs are really bummed about looking like a moron for expressing them.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

Well, I'm off to celebrate my nation's long history of armed conflict, symbolized by dramatic displays of our pyrotechnic prowess in the night sky over my fine city ...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:42 am

Tatertot wrote:Well, I'm off to celebrate my nation's long history of armed conflict,
I don't think that that's exactly the point of Independence Day. But, celebrate how you see fit.

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 am

Smitty wrote:
mjau wrote:While we're discussing bad marketing, am I the only one offended by the joke on Mercenary's website about battered women?
for real. saw that after i placed an order with them and immediately wished i hadn't. i'll take my business elsewhere in the future.
Seriously? Do you have a link to this?
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:49 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Well, I'm off to celebrate my nation's long history of armed conflict,
I don't think that that's exactly the point of Independence Day. But, celebrate how you see fit.
Yeah, it's completely not the point of Independence Day, but whatever. It's hip to be down on America these days apparently.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 am

dwlb wrote:Yeah, it's completely not the point of Independence Day, but whatever. It's hip to be down on America these days apparently.
i'll be celebrating what i hope we can regain, rather than what we currently have.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 am

dwlb wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
Yeah, it's completely not the point of Independence Day, but whatever. It's hip to be down on America these days apparently.
i love my country, but i sure as shit don't love my government.

there is an important difference.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:02 am

Wow, how off topic can we send this?
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:04 am

aitikin wrote:Wow, how off topic can we send this?
oh my, is this a challenge? :D

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
i love my country, but i sure as shit don't love my government.

there is an important difference.
Don't think I don't know that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/