Gear, not guns

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am

dwlb wrote:It's hip to be down on America these days apparently.
is there really any evidence of that in this thread?

But, yeah... I'll cop to being down on America. The idea that I (or anyone else really) feel this way because "it's hip" is insulting and ridiculous. You have noticed that America has been screwing the pooch quite a bit lately, right? It's sensible and prudent to be down on America these days apparently. I'm quite embarrassed by my government. I'm also embarrassed by the disconnect and general ignorance that many Americans seem to take some kind of warped pride in. But, I firmly believe in what America is supposed to be and supposed to represent.

So, what does this have to do with this thread again?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I'm quite embarrassed by my government. I'm also embarrassed by the disconnect and general ignorance that many Americans seem to take some kind of warped pride in. But, I firmly believe in what America is supposed to be and supposed to represent.
sounds like where i'm at, but i certainly don't hate America.
subatomic pieces wrote:So, what does this have to do with this thread again?
not a thing!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 am

the idea that anyone who questions American policy or motivations is someone who "hates America" is one of the most outrageously deceptive, bullshit ploys that's ever been foisted on the masses by a power structure desperate to stay in control so that they can continue to profit. They rely on the ignorance of the people who throw around claims of "hates America" to shield the putrid nonsense that they do in our country's name.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 am

Smitty wrote:i'll be celebrating what i hope we can regain, rather than what we currently have.
here here!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
So, what does this have to do with this thread again?
nothing. messageboard threads occasionally veer off-topic, especially when there's no actual Off-Topic section to the messageboard. My apologies.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 pm

it's cool. I was obviously happy to follow you off topic. Where to next, sir?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:18 pm

Rock and roll is ruining America.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:21 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:it's cool. I was obviously happy to follow you off topic. Where to next, sir?
I'm goin' to Disneyland!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Tatertot wrote:Rock and roll is ruining America.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Tony Danza
audio school

Post by Tony Danza » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Hey-o! I love America. What a great country.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 am

If I was going to get a tattoo, it'd be that cassette-tape skull & crossbones. Someplace obvious, like a shoulder.

(OK, really I just wanted to get a post in before the thread gets locked down. I've been locked down once and now I want more. More! MORE!)
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:56 am

I don't see this as much as a strive towards political correctness; rather, I see it as a fight against stupidity and lame advertizing, which I am ALL FOR!

I don't mind completely un-PC advertizing when it is not stupid, and lame. But come on.. tough guy attitude towards "arsenal" gear to get ready for "war" ? WTF? recording isn't war.

The "frat boy" like engineers, producers, techs, and assistants I have met have been some of the most annoying insecure people in the world. I have no sympathy towards those who are chastised for appealing to them.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:23 am

rwc wrote: The "frat boy" like engineers, producers, techs, and assistants I have met have been some of the most annoying insecure people in the world. F API for appealing to them!
well, if it wasn't API who designed the ad...

I thought the name of the brand was sort of corny, but I guess from an advertising standpoint... the look and name sort of point to the big ol' green/gray one knob/giant VU gear made for military and government use in the way back days people go all ga-ga over now. The Federals, Dept of Commerce, sort of stuff. From the marketing standpoint, trying to cash in on the apparent love for that whole vibe makes sense. Cheesy? Sorta. But in the scheme of things there are plenty more things to be offended about.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:29 am

i can't wait to buy the 2 channel preamp

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Have people checked out the soundclips on the vintageking site? I was really excited about the EQ and then really underwhelmed with the clips.