Your Favorite Intel Mac VST/AU Plugins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aaronburr
gettin' sounds

Your Favorite Intel Mac VST/AU Plugins

Post by aaronburr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:48 pm

i've enjoyed using guitar rig lately. i used to be a tube amp purist but man, running a lead direct through this helps when i want to conserve negative space in the recording and have a really dry sound.

also i downloaded the W1 Limiter (http://www.yohng.com/w1limit.html) and its AWESOME. way better than my logic limiters that come w/ it.

your favorites of late?

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:24 pm

Reaktor 5
Prog out with your cog out.

Jewish Guitar Hero
ass engineer

Post by Jewish Guitar Hero » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 am

Audio Damage Discord
cheap, yet brilliant

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Sonalksis EQ and Comp - great "musical" performance from both of these.

Andrew Garber Warp Drive Distortion - seriously awesome distortion plugin. There are hardly any parameters but this thing really does what I want a distortion plugin to do.

Camel Audio stuff is fun sometimes when you're just looking for a wacky idea.

Vember Audio SURGE - Highly recommended, versatile soft synth.

Back when I was on PC I used to have a great little free soft synth called NINJA. I loved that thing. I think there may have been a mac version too, but the manufacturers have stopped distributing it completely.

The Logic Tape Delay gets a lot of use as well.

mandolin
audio school graduate

Re: Your Favorite Intel Mac VST/AU Plugins

Post by mandolin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm

aaronburr wrote:i've enjoyed using guitar rig lately. i used to be a tube amp purist but man, running a lead direct through this helps when i want to conserve negative space in the recording and have a really dry sound.

also i downloaded the W1 Limiter (http://www.yohng.com/w1limit.html) and its AWESOME. way better than my logic limiters that come w/ it.

your favorites of late?
Yeah I use the W1 for squashing mono overhead drums all the time, so good.

Other free AU Plug ins I love:

-MDA's Degrate (the best bit cruncher I've found)

-iZotope Vinyl (The scratches are stupid and so is the "vinyl" noise most of the time but the EQ of the 70s setting with a little bit of dust and wear really adds a cool sound to pianos, vocals and other things sometimes.)

-SSL LMC-1 (A great simple to use compressor that totally changes the EQ of what ever you put through it. Really good on drum overheads, acoustic guitars, background vocals.... just be warned that it has a low cut built in). Also, in Digital Performer it won't respond to the normal "engaged/bypassed" buttons and automation. To turn on and off you much use the "in" button on the plug in its self.

:)
Todd

freakmech
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Your Favorite Intel Mac VST/AU Plugins

Post by freakmech » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:47 pm

[quote/]
-SSL LMC-1 (A great simple to use compressor that totally changes the EQ of what ever you put through it. Really good on drum overheads, acoustic guitars, background vocals.... just be warned that it has a low cut built in). Also, in Digital Performer it won't respond to the normal "engaged/bypassed" buttons and automation. To turn on and off you much use the "in" button on the plug in its self.

:)
Todd[/quote]

I cant for the life of me get this to show up in Garageband. But it works in Logic. Hmmmm This sucks because I usually start projects in GB then import to Logic.

Also fond of the W-1, its free!

And I like PSP EQ's and the Vintage Warmer II
Friends dont let friends buy when they can build!

Maurice
ass engineer

Post by Maurice » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 am

Some freebies I use a lot are MDA's Looplex, Ring Mod, and Dub Delay: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/ (Looplex isn't listed there, and I'm not sure if it's in the package for download, but the developer has ported it to x86, and will send it to you if you email him--that's how I got the x86 Looplex. Hat tip to MDA there.)

I'm a total sucker for putting Green Oak's Delayifier on a send channel. It's a four-tap tape delay simulator, with adjustable wow/flutter. http://www.greenoak.com/vst.html

If you're into sound-mangling, there's interesting stuff from destroyfx, notably buffer override: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

Really, any of the SmartElectronix sub-sites are worth a look, though they don't seem to have updated in a couple years, unfortunately. Well, people get busy.

troymess
pluggin' in mics

Post by troymess » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 am

This is a great post...just downloaded a bunch of these for Logic. I'm looking forward to trying these out!

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:07 am

troymess wrote:This is a great post...just downloaded a bunch of these for Logic. I'm looking forward to trying these out!
Um, you mean you just downloaded the free ones, right?
Prog out with your cog out.

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 am

Mabye we should start a sticky for a list of free plugins people like?
mine are

Kajerhous Audio Classic Series, All of them

Digital Fish Phones, All of them

and of course KT drum trigger, theres more but i dont have them in front of me.

and for paid stuff, i can get just about anything done with the Waves renaissance bundle, and Battery 2.

enjoy!

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

troymess
pluggin' in mics

Post by troymess » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:50 am

superaction80 wrote:
troymess wrote:This is a great post...just downloaded a bunch of these for Logic. I'm looking forward to trying these out!
Um, you mean you just downloaded the free ones, right?
Yeah, just the free ones...and while on the subject, I was having a really hard time getting the plug-ins to show up in Logic. The W1 eventually showed up, but the SSL one isn't showing up?