Save your Behringer!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 am

rwc wrote:
RedCrownStudios wrote:Ah gear snobs.........
And I thought this forum was different.

I dont see any point in recapping a behringer, but i think a great record can made on just about anything.

Hayden, Sufjan Stevens, tons of people have had good success on marginal gear.

Its not the gear, its the knowledge of how to use it and most importantly, THE SONG that counts.
spoken like someone who owns a eurodesk! :roll:

For real, I'm almost done getting all the behringer junk out of here. I like crown, I like soundcraft, I like marantz and sytek. I like shit that can be fixed when it breaks, and that works well while it works, but behringer is garbage through and through. there are few devices I would estimate degrade the signal, and behringer doesn't make a single one I wouldn't put in that category
indeed, there is 1980s Tascam "marginal" and then there's utter rubbish "marginal".

if i was faced with 80s Tascam i would actually be happy to work with it, at least it has something going for it sound-wise.

i got my 'Ringer line mixer cos it was borderline free and i was skint.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am

RefD wrote:i got my 'Ringer line mixer cos it was borderline free and i was skint.
that the whole reason for Behringer's existence. I can't imagine that anyone is gonna rush out and pick up a Eurodesk because of Jeff's ringing endorsement of the post-recap airy high end! ;)

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:28 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
RefD wrote:i got my 'Ringer line mixer cos it was borderline free and i was skint.
that the whole reason for Behringer's existence.
pretty much, yah.

that and to elevate Alesis and Mackie. :wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:02 pm

ha!

then, along comes Nady and Phonic and suddenly, a recapped Behringer mixer is a desirable piece of gear!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:14 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:ha!

then, along comes Nady and Phonic and suddenly, a recapped Behringer mixer is a desirable piece of gear!
ALMOST!

actually, i use a Nady Starpower 3 dynamic into an Aphex 107 with HPF in for miking acoustic guitar BBC stylee.

really.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Smitty wrote: And in the midwest, you can buy a battered Behringer unit on Craigslist for only twice it's original cost!
Well, of course, then it's VINTAGE Behringer! :roll:
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:54 pm

remember back in the 80's when peeeeeavey was the equivalent of behriiiinger?
At least the shitty sounding peavey stuff was hard to break!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:06 pm

RedCrownStudios wrote:Its not the gear, its the knowledge of how to use it and most importantly, THE SONG that counts.
I don't think it so much the sound of the behringer stuff that everyones putting down. It's how it'll just stop working after using it a couple times, or better yet some channels won't be working when you receive it.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:56 pm

I put down both.

there comes a point where if you're charging money, you have to care about the fidelity of even "trivial" pieces of gear IMO.

patchbays that potentially ruin a recording because the air moving from one side of the room to the other moved the patch cable enough to fuck up the connection have no place in a professional recording studio.

I can cite a case of something different, but equally take-ruining in its annoyingness in every piece of gear from behringer I have ever been forced to use.

I have a pronounced dislike for people running "hacked" studios, that are close to falling apart at any given time. avoiding most behringer gear is key to avoiding such an environment.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I had some behringer AD/DA, some dynamics and other stuff. I finally realized that a lot of the difficulty I was having mixing wasnt my micing techniques or my DAW, it was the dull haze of crap that Behringers hose over everything. They arent just cheap because they are made in China. they also use cheap components. If its on sale for $100 than it must only cost $15 in parts and labor to make.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:24 pm

what amazes me is how they managed to sell an 8 channel headphone amp for $45.

I gave it a listen. Yeah, it's noisy, but what interests me is that the closer I turn the volume down, to ground, the more RF I hear.

I have _NEVER_ heard RF in a headphone amp before using a behringer product, for real. I've put together my own headphone amps before, from scratch when I was 17, after building a cmoy and wanting to design my own that did not have this problem. I have no fucking idea how they manage to fuck this simple shit up, if I didn't two years ago.

The issue is not when played loud, but rather when used with real sensitive headphones. you have to turn the volume up to blistering levels I would never use with ety er4s or shure e3cs just to get the music over the RF - no thanks.

Eventually I want to learn enough to make a basic 4-6 channel headphone amp with insert points for each channel, that doesn't suck total cock & balls. college & work have gotten in the way of this, although I hope to eventually get to it... if not just to say I can make one. :D

I will stop here because if I dedicate a single post to every piece of garbage I've used from them that fucked up a take or acted retarded, I'll have a ten page thread of just my posts...
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:I had some behringer AD/DA, some dynamics and other stuff. I finally realized that a lot of the difficulty I was having mixing wasnt my micing techniques or my DAW, it was the dull haze of crap that Behringers hose over everything. They arent just cheap because they are made in China. they also use cheap components. If its on sale for $100 than it must only cost $15 in parts and labor to make.
Which is exactly why this mod can be imperative. Look, most of the people on this messageboard are looking for, usable, cheap gear. The re-cap with decent caps can make almost ANY Behringer box sound better for pennies. Not sure why people would be against this...

As for the design, it's a miracle they can sell these as cheap as they do. It took me 2 1/2 hours to do the re-cap on the UB802. How long did the guy/girl work in Asia to put the entire thing together?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 am

rwc wrote:what amazes me is how they managed to sell an 8 channel headphone amp for $45.

I gave it a listen. Yeah, it's noisy, but what interests me is that the closer I turn the volume down, to ground, the more RF I hear.

I have _NEVER_ heard RF in a headphone amp before using a behringer product, for real. I've put together my own headphone amps before, from scratch when I was 17, after building a cmoy and wanting to design my own that did not have this problem. I have no fucking idea how they manage to fuck this simple shit up, if I didn't two years ago.
This is weird, because mine is completely clean when doing the same thing. You should check the main earth in your studio and make sure all related outlets are connected to the same ground. Barring that, replace the unit.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:01 am

usually a recap only benefits old gear that has "tired" caps. New gear benfits from opamp swaps a la BLA mods. Or the chip swap some folks do on their Symetrix stuff.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:29 am

I've used the FCB 1010 midi footpedal for like 4 years now and it's been a workhorse...Depends on what you're using..

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!