BLA "sparrow" A/D Converter - anyone have/use one?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:00 pm

I would just like to see a stock, unmodded mbox2 or digi003 sound clip vs. an mbox2 using the sparrow...

too much to ask?
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:58 pm

pixeltarian wrote:I would just like to see a stock, unmodded mbox2 or digi003 sound clip vs. an mbox2 using the sparrow...

too much to ask?
There is a great soundclip of the BLA wordclock in action somewhere out there.. I imagine the results to share some similarities?
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 pm

jv wrote:Ned is right (I am an EE). I've heard lots of good things about Black Lion, so I'm sure they're doing a lot of things right, but this way of of spec-ing is just plain wrong.
Another EE here. Ned is completely correct and Black Lion's numbers/calculations are wrong.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 am

puffpastry wrote:The Tweak 003 adds another 15dbV to the headroom of the existing stock 003 design
I'm with Ned. The above phrase makes absolutely no sense to me. You can't have a "15dbV [sic] increase" in anything, but you can have a 15 dB increase. Going from 2 dBV to 17 dBV is a 15 dB (no "v"!!) increase.

Look at it this way, Matt:
If you modded something and took its max output (lets say) from a stock .5 volts max output to a modded 1 volt output (a difference of .5 volts), how would you mention that spec on your web site? In mine and Ned's world, that would be a modest but repectable 6 dB increase (doubling of the voltage). According to your logic, you would claim that on your web site as a "-6 dB increase"!!! (.5 volts is -6 dBV). You can't have it both ways!

No offense and all respect to Matt and BLA. Personally, I can't see myself trying to justify something because Digidesign does it. I would want to distinguish myself as different from that type of company as much as possible.
Last edited by GooberNumber9 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:19 am

pixeltarian wrote:I would just like to see a stock, unmodded mbox2 or digi003 sound clip vs. an mbox2 using the sparrow...

too much to ask?
I don't have a Sparrow (yet! - bad specs doesn't mean bad product any more than good specs means a good product). But I can say that after I started using an outboard A/D and D/A (and not a great one) on my MBox 2, I loved it a lot more. I'm a big non-fan of the Digidesign converters. If you're wondering whether it's better to use an external converter for your Digi rig, the answer is YES.