Best All-Round 500 Series Pre (1st in the rack)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pan60
audio school graduate

Post by pan60 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 am

you are far to kind Smitty :shock:
thank you for the very kind words and the warm welcome: )~
check out pan60.com

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:33 pm

I started with a pair of older OSA mutants. I now also have the mono gama and a couple API clones. The OSA was a great place to start. They sound great and came at a price that worked for me.

Jason

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 pm

jason, how are you liking the gama? i'm intrigued by it but strong opinions on it are hard to come by.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 am

i liked the p-1's a lot. i had two and unfortunately i sold them both (one to get something else, the other because my car needed to get fixed). i've ended up with an avedis ma5 and a lachapell 583s-- both of which i really like. i wish i still had at least one of those p-1's though, as they sound different than either of the 500 compatible pres i have right now. i also had an eisen pre and osa mp1c-- both of which were very good too.
________
Teen videos
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

pan60
audio school graduate

Post by pan60 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:24 pm

bummer on having to part with the P-1s : (~ maybe you can replace them someday.
i have some OSA pres and like them as well.
check out pan60.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:23 pm

i have a pair of P1's I'm now using mostly for drum overheads, although bass usually sounds pretty good and vocals are nice through these as well. I also have a pair of OSA MP1A's and a pair of OSA MP1C's. I had an Eisen but just sold it. then I bought a pair of those really old OSA's that were on eBay a week or so ago ($279 each!). they only have a single gain knob and different input trannies than my otehr OSAs. Only tried them shortly to make sure they work but I've overflowed my lunchbox now... I considered going to a 10-slot API or Purple but then over the 4th I got an email for a 20% off and the A-Designs 500HR was included in that - so I got a sweet deal on one (should arrive tomorow). Glad I did because I have actually taken my lunchbox to another studio and its nice to have the option.

But if I had to go with only 1, it would probably be the P1 as they are quite versatile. I've only had 1 experience where it did not sound good and that was on a '76 gibson Firebird bass with a soapbar pickup. It jsut sounded thin, but in my PM1000 it sounded huge so go figure... I figure probably an impedance mismatch.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com