Apogee Ensemble Problems

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

oldhouse
pluggin' in mics

Apogee Ensemble Problems

Post by oldhouse » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 am

I just got an Ensemble this weekend. I was using an M Audio 1814 as my interface. I am running Logic Studio on an Intel Mac. Here is the problem:

Before I switched to the new interface I had no latency problems. I could hear what I was tracking, as I was tracking, while my recorded tracks played back, but when I hooked up the Ensemble the latency was there. Now I can't hear what I am tracking, as I am tracking, unless I turn on software monitoring which has a delay. Anyone know how to fix this? Surely the Ensemble should be able to out perform the M Audio 1814.

Thanks!
?The gun went off accidentally.? -Phil Spector

palinilap
buyin' gear

Re: Apogee Ensemble Problems

Post by palinilap » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:48 pm

oldhouse wrote:I just got an Ensemble this weekend. I was using an M Audio 1814 as my interface. I am running Logic Studio on an Intel Mac. Here is the problem:

Before I switched to the new interface I had no latency problems. I could hear what I was tracking, as I was tracking, while my recorded tracks played back, but when I hooked up the Ensemble the latency was there. Now I can't hear what I am tracking, as I am tracking, unless I turn on software monitoring which has a delay. Anyone know how to fix this? Surely the Ensemble should be able to out perform the M Audio 1814.

Thanks!
Page 13 of the latest Maestro User Guide has some good information on configuring Maestro with Logic. You can download the pdf here:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/documents.php

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:09 am

other than that how do you like the ensemble, I'm considering upgrading from a firepod.

Jewish Guitar Hero
ass engineer

Post by Jewish Guitar Hero » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:03 am

Do it!

I've had mine about 9 months now. I had some teething problems at first, as there were bugs using it with a Mackie Control and Logic 8 (well documented on the internet), and it took a while to get Leopard comptible. But these are the inevitable problems of early-adopting.

Since then it's been stable, and the converters & preamps are really good.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:51 am

You know I've had mine for approx. 6 months now...Although the bugs are being weeded out w/ updates I just cant seem to get as good sounding records as I once did when exclusively using the Apogee Trak2...Why? What is it? I have no idea but my albums w/ the Trak2 were the best I had made...Now I cant even come close...Perhaps it's me perhaps it's not...All I know is that my records sounded better back then and I cant get there again....

peace

Just my shit I guess...
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!