Waves goes to V6 finally

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ron Obvious
alignin' 24-trk

Waves goes to V6 finally

Post by Ron Obvious » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Well Waves has finally moved up to V6, that only took 6 years!!! I'm guessing that this topic will be very active over the next few weeks. Lots of downloads and authorizations + ilok time.

They have some video tutorials on their site about how to do this. Lets hope that it won't be TOO painful!! It's free if you have your WUP - up to date.

REMEMBER TO BACKUP your "customized" PRESETS folder, before you UPDATE, just encase this folder is overwritten with a clean EMPTY one. Also BACKUP of all your downloaded IR responses. I already lost this once.

I also have an APA-44 connected to my G4 laptop. V5.97 was not at all compatible with this external unit. I only use the APA-44 in ProTools LE mixdown, for IR reverbs and stereo mixbuss comps (LinMb and L3). Hope that this will now work. Oh Oh it appears that my APA-44, costing me $1,200+ 1year 1 month ago, is now NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Gone from their website. No support (.)

Good luck everyone.
Last edited by Ron Obvious on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Re: Waves goes to V6 finally

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Ron Obvious wrote:Well Waves has finally moved up to V6, that only took 6 years!!! I'm guessing that this topic will be very active over the next few weeks. Lots of downloads and authorizations + ilok time.
+ WUP-induced garment rending and teeth gnashing
Prog out with your cog out.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Waves' proprietary authorizers in v5 were way too convoluted. A lot of people dislike iLok.com support, but at least it'll make the authorization process easier.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 pm

I downloaded V6 yesterday and had good luck with it. I mixed 4 songs that I had been using V 5.9.7 on. Came back exactly the same. Did not save my presets. But they came back.

I have Native Platinum, SSL and API bundles.

Mike

Randy
tinnitus

Re: Waves goes to V6 finally

Post by Randy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Ron Obvious wrote:I also have an APA-44 connected to my G4 laptop. V5.97 was not at all compatible with this external unit. I only use the APA-44 in ProTools LE mixdown, for IR reverbs and stereo mixbuss comps (LinMb and L3). Hope that this will now work. Oh Oh it appears that my APA-44, costing me $1,200+ 1year 1 month ago, is now NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Gone from their website. No support (.)

Good luck everyone.
It just makes me dizzy with glee that I stopped opening my wallet to those hucksters.

(waves goodbye)
not to worry, just keep tracking....

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm

I also have an APA-44 connected to my G4 laptop. V5.97 was not at all compatible with this external unit. I only use the APA-44 in ProTools LE mixdown, for IR reverbs and stereo mixbuss comps (LinMb and L3). Hope that this will now work. Oh Oh it appears that my APA-44, costing me $1,200+ 1year 1 month ago, is now NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Gone from their website. No support (.)
After reading this yesterday I went and looked into it because I found it hard to believe that it was not only discontinued, but STILL FOR SALE at most major retailers. As bad as it is for Waves to stop supporting it, I find it much worse for Sweetwater to still be selling it for full price like it was still a supported product!

ALSO, get this. Apparently these APA boxes are just super cheap consumer-level computers running cheesy, outdated parts with a custom BIOS. What that tells me is A. They were ripping people off from the start, B. They have the technology to tether multiple computers together to run their plug-ins but hold it back to sell you this junk, and C. That it should be possible to hack this type of setup and create your own DIY APA box that would blow away the performance of their little POS which is probably exactly why they stopped supporting it!

Waves plugs USED to be my go to processors, but they have really fallen behind and become such a pain to use that I'd rather use ANYTHING else.

Fuck you Waves.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:27 pm

jessemesasavage wrote:Fuck you Waves.
my sentiments exactly.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York