what is the best angle to point a mic at an Acoustic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:46 am

Over the shoulder! Put a mic as close to the players ear as possible, they will love it in their HP mix plus it will almost always sound good. Stereo acoustic guitar rocks!
Mmm, lung butter.

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Had very good luck with a figure 8 setup, with the pick in the "shadow" of the strings... mixed with some Omni at the 14th fret (after testing for phase).... beautiful.

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:47 pm

firesine wrote:Over the shoulder! Put a mic as close to the players ear as possible, they will love it in their HP mix plus it will almost always sound good. Stereo acoustic guitar rocks!
I like this technique too I usually have a second sdc pointing around the 12th fret in front and it works really well.

You need headphones with really good isolation though or you may have to deal with click bleed, remember to mute or lower the click on sustained chords.

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 am

Jon~T wrote: You need headphones with really good isolation though or you may have to deal with click bleed, remember to mute or lower the click on sustained chords.
True, this works best with some nice Senn 280's or the like.

Also, someone around here mention the MPC click in protools and now thats all I use. I has really helped cut down the click bleed, but muting at the end of songs and sustained chords is still neccisary.
Mmm, lung butter.

k Holmes
pluggin' in mics

Re: what is the best angle to point a mic at an Acoustic?

Post by k Holmes » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 pm

cooters wrote:I was wondering which angle i could get the best sound.
The one that sounds the best. Close your eyes and move it...or, close your eyes and listen and have someone else move it for you.

Sonic Surgeon
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sonic Surgeon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:16 am

Bob and weave. Seriously.

Point the boom at someone playing the guitar, and listen for sweet spots. Bob and weave towards the guitar with no headphones on for a good starting point.

There are no definitive rules, but I think the bulk of the great ideas have already been covered by the fellas in this thread. Just thought I'd remind you to bob and weave, and to listen like a mic would. That technique is outlined in a lot of pro books on the micing, as well.

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks for all of the help. I like the mic pointed at the twelth fret but slightly pointed toward the sound hole. It cut down the low end but still gives a lot of my guitars naturally warm sound.

:worthy: I bow the knowledge of everyone. :D