mackie get spanked by Rokit.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:42 pm

losthighway wrote:Hopefully this time the pro audio department won't try to convince me to replace all my drum mics with Audix products.
Not to get amazingly off topic, but what the hell is with GC and marketing the hell out of Audix? Every time someone I know goes into the one by me looking for an SM58, they respond, "Trust me, you want an Audix OM instead!" It's like clockwork!
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:53 pm

aitikin wrote:
losthighway wrote:Hopefully this time the pro audio department won't try to convince me to replace all my drum mics with Audix products.
Not to get amazingly off topic, but what the hell is with GC and marketing the hell out of Audix? Every time someone I know goes into the one by me looking for an SM58, they respond, "Trust me, you want an Audix OM instead!" It's like clockwork!
haha, when I bought a PA a few years ago, I was going to buy 3 SM57's and the guy was pushing the Audix i5's on me, I ended up getting them only because he took like an extra 40$ off on each of the speakers I bought and took 10$ off per mic. They're not bad mics but I usually still go for the 57 first, although I would like to experiment a little more with the i5. ( I don't do any live sound anymore)

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:35 pm

I went to GC about 8 months ago to do comparison shopping for Actives. I had had experience with the older Mackie 824's and liked them (mostly when compared to my Tannoy Reveal's that I hated. I had moved into a shared studio space a couple of years ago with a guy who had the 824's and my mixes improved DRAMATICALLY once I switched to his Mackies from my Tannoys).

So I was going to buy some new monitors and wanted to see how other things I'd heard about compared to the 824's. I was pretty much looking at the Adam A7's, Dynaudio BM6's, the Yamaha HS80's, and the Mackie's. None of the KRK's seemed to sound clear enough to me when compared to these, but I'd remembered liking them in studios I'd been to before. The Yamaha's would be nice as a, like, 4th alternative to listen to mixes through, when I can afford to do that sort of thing.

The monitors that came out of left field for me, and which I ended up getting, were the JBL 4328P, which were more money than most everything else I was looking at, but when comparing the sound quality, I really couldn't justify saving $500 to get something that just didn't work as well. Again, for those of you don't know, my philosophy for buying gear generally is, "really nice... OR really cheap (trying to avoid the middle ground that never seems to satisfy either side)"

The JBL's floored the Mackies in clarity and Frequency Range (both top and bottom). I had brought in a CD with a variety of my own mixes that I liked, ones I found problematic, and other people's mastered tracks that I think sound great. It ended up coming down to the JBL's and the DynAudio's, which I can only describe as being really "fun" to listen through, but in the end I went with the JBL's that I hadn't ever heard shit about, and I have been VERY happy with my purchase so far.

The only other monitors that I liked more, but REALLY ACTUALLY COULDN'T AFFORD, were some higher priced Adams ( I can't remember if it was the p11 or p22), but those sounded SLIGHTLY better/truer, to me, than the JBL's, but I couldn't justify almost doubling the price for what I saw/heard as a SMALL improvement.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Ive got the Rokit 5's they've been pretty good to me so far.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Those yamaha HS80's are getting some good user reviews on a number of sites. Somehow I never see them set up in the "monitor room" of any retailers though. They always get relegated to keyboard monitors along with the Genelec 8020's and such. Hard to make a judgement based on what a minikorg will do to them.
thanks to my eekonomick stim-you-luss check I am looking at the $400-600 range which puts me firmly in KRK and Yamaha land.

now that my motu is sounding better with the BLA mod I am looking at getting the next step in the chain upgraded. Its that or another pre, another comp or another mic.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 am

aitikin wrote: Not to get amazingly off topic, but what the hell is with GC and marketing the hell out of Audix?
I don't want to compartmentalize every employee there, because I've definitely talked to some smart people, but GC seems overrun with employees under 21 who are very subject to fads. Guys that love to make a mix where everything is gated and each channel has like four or five different plugins on it, no matter what.

A lot of the Audix mics (I'm thinking of my Audix kick mic) seem to have some of the most aggressive, unnatural, frequency response curves that hype the shit out of whatever they're designed for. This is the kind of stuff that a testosterone crazy 18 year old hears and goes "Man, you hear all that fucking bass?!!! AKG d112's are for pussies!"

In all honesty, I did an acoustic show recently where I sang through some Audix in the OM series and I felt like I enjoyed hearing my voice more. That's as much a sign of an SM58's trustworthy mediocrity, as Audix superiority.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:i am interested in the events also, but they didnt have any set up. I also am looking at the white cone yammies. But cnat find anyplace that has them setup in a reasonable situation.
but back to the KRKs. They had a couple sets of Adams there. I had a hard time telling when the Adams were on and the Krks were on. They sounded very close. Now of course it is waaaaaay different when you are mixing stuff than when you are auditioning pre-mixed songs off of albums by succesful artists like Stevie, Slayer and Tom Waits.
That is how I wound up wih the adam's. They sounded like old friends, but at EVERY volume. Which I cannot say the same of the KRK's. I had to crank up the KRK's a bit to get them to tell the truth. They sound covered until you turn them up a little, then they come to life, but at a relatively loud volume. I like to rock out when I am mixing, but not like "i am deaf now" rock out. Especially for prolonged periods of time.
The ADAM P22A's with the sub (after trying a few) really did it for me. I work on all kinds of music, least of all Hip hop (which I love to listen to though) most of all rock, but I usually like the speakers that hip hop guys like: big, wide, and loud sounds.

The P22's image like crazy. seriously like insanely. Sitting in the sweet spot the mix just wraps around you, and I never felt that with my KRK's. I have had all kinds ofmonitors, and I have finally landed on the ADAM's as a really great modern midfield choice. keep in mind that I can not even remotely figure out how anyone could like the dynaudio's, so if you like those, you porbably wont like adam or KRK monitors.

xx3479327
studio intern

Post by xx3479327 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 am

I've got the RP6's, bought for 220 a pair on eBay, kinda lucked out.. not much to complain about really, mixes seem to translate pretty nicely and they don't give me ear fatigue like some of the other choices in this price range. I will add that they tend to run a lot hotter than many other active monitors I've tried in the past, but I don't often use them at high volume for super-extended periods of time (cause that's not the purpose of a nearfield monitor, right?), so it's not too much of a concern. I'll probably be giving the RP10 subwoofer a shot sometime down the line as well.

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:Those yamaha HS80's are getting some good user reviews on a number of sites. Somehow I never see them set up in the "monitor room" of any retailers though. They always get relegated to keyboard monitors along with the Genelec 8020's and such. Hard to make a judgement based on what a minikorg will do to them.
thanks to my eekonomick stim-you-luss check I am looking at the $400-600 range which puts me firmly in KRK and Yamaha land.

now that my motu is sounding better with the BLA mod I am looking at getting the next step in the chain upgraded. Its that or another pre, another comp or another mic.
I Really like my Yamahas, and to be fair, most of the time when i go into the "Monitor Demo Rooms" NOTHING is hooked up right, ya know ONE Mackie will work, and then the one pair of really expensive Genelecs will too, but thats its.

ALso, which MOTU unit did you get upgraded? I'm thinking of sending my 21i/o out to get worked on.

LATE
Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:43 pm

aitikin wrote:
Audix mics have more profit in them...

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:45 pm

I have a pair of KRK Rockit 8's. Maybe it's my room. But they lie lie lie! Hyped high end that's hard to tame with the rear panel knob without just making them worse. And when pushed, they compress instead of clipping. I use them at the space to make sure I'm actually getting sound onto disk, but for mixing I come home to a more controlled environment and a pair of Soliloquy 5.0s that translate very well.

Sloan
pluggin' in mics

Post by Sloan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:17 pm

I tracked a band in their basement for one song and got some Rokit 5's as payment. They work well. Things translate fairly good.

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:29 pm

losthighway wrote:wow, you can get the older rokit 5's for like 200 bones a pair on ebay no problem. Maybe this is an incredibly affordable, albeit mild, upgrade from my Alesis M1's.
I picked up my Rokit 5's locally for $150, and the following week I saw a pair on CL for $100. I almost picked up a second set. Anyway, they sound pretty good to me for nearfield purposes. I wouldn't spend $200/pr though.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Most recent speakers I plugged in were these:

www.equatoraudio.com

Holy crap!

I've been around alot of monitors nearfields, mid-fields, mains, etc. The consumer crap at Guitar Center are toys by comparison. When it's time to start getting serious about what you do, I highly recommend a pair of the Q12s.

Don't forget to save up $4k first.

Sloan
pluggin' in mics

Post by Sloan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 pm

I've never understood all this expensive shit. Make up your mind, are you gonna make money or are you gonna make music?