mackie get spanked by Rokit.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

mackie get spanked by Rokit.

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:00 pm

So I had been working in San Francisco a lot last week. Doing some installs at the Lucas digital arts center. I happened to stop by the hated GC on the way home to check some shit out. I got to check out some monitors in an okay setup. It was Itunes out of an HD3 to a passive switcher. Actually didnt sound too bad.
I tried the Mackie's, the KRK's the Adams' and some Maudios. Unfortuneately they didnt have the Genelecs or Yamahas in the same room.
The Maudios were way too hyped sounding.
The Krks, for each driver size sounded the same regardeless of the model line. The VXTs having a tad more high end clarity (or maybe the back panel swtiches were goosed?).
The KRK Rockit 8's totally clowned the Mackies. Much better bass. Clearer mids. Less harsh treble. For about half the price!
Anyone using these cheap KRKs? The new versions seem to sound good. I listened to hip hop, metal, Tom Waits, Classical and even some Stevie and it all sounded very open and detailed without being hyped.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:58 pm

I had V88's for a few years as my midfields.
I like the V8.
KRK's always have kind of an aggressive top end.
I have adams, with an adam sub these days. the P22A's with the matching 10" ADAM sub. those are along side of some NS10's, a boom box, and some JBL 4412A's mounted in place of mains (with a sub).

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:05 pm

I agree, the M-Audios may make nice playback speakers, but no where near flat.

The mackies I tried out at Banjo Mart faired the same, the Rockits sounded better. They had the new yamahas, I liked them, but the Event TR8s beat them all. It was a close race between them and the yammies but I went for the TR8s.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:28 pm

i am interested in the events also, but they didnt have any set up. I also am looking at the white cone yammies. But cnat find anyplace that has them setup in a reasonable situation.
but back to the KRKs. They had a couple sets of Adams there. I had a hard time telling when the Adams were on and the Krks were on. They sounded very close. Now of course it is waaaaaay different when you are mixing stuff than when you are auditioning pre-mixed songs off of albums by succesful artists like Stevie, Slayer and Tom Waits.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Have I plugged these enough yet?

:D

Absolute truth. :]
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:02 pm

rwc wrote: [snipped image for sake of space]
Have I plugged these enough yet?

:D

Absolute truth. :]
Hmm, what about a pair of these:

I've heard that they're amazing...
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:31 pm

I remember the first time I plugged those in and felt like an idiot calibrating the stf-2 sub I had for use when I noticed these had more low end extension and fidelity than a quality 10" HSU sub.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:02 am

I'm a fan of KRK's. I had a pair of Alesis Monitor 1's for years and then switched over to the Rokit 6 (or 5, can't remember). I noticed the difference right away. I could hear the bass and my mixes translate really well to other systems.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:15 am

I have a friend with Rockit's and I was surprised at how much I like them.

BTW, I don't think Thiel makes those CS3.6s any more. I wonder how much they are used? They certainly sound amazing.

thecheat
pushin' record

Re: mackie get spanked by Rokit.

Post by thecheat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:34 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:So I had been working in San Francisco a lot last week. Doing some installs at the Lucas digital arts center. I happened to stop by the hated GC on the way home to check some shit out. I got to check out some monitors in an okay setup. It was Itunes out of an HD3 to a passive switcher. Actually didnt sound too bad.
I tried the Mackie's, the KRK's the Adams' and some Maudios. Unfortuneately they didnt have the Genelecs or Yamahas in the same room.
The Maudios were way too hyped sounding.
The Krks, for each driver size sounded the same regardeless of the model line. The VXTs having a tad more high end clarity (or maybe the back panel swtiches were goosed?).
The KRK Rockit 8's totally clowned the Mackies. Much better bass. Clearer mids. Less harsh treble. For about half the price!
Anyone using these cheap KRKs? The new versions seem to sound good. I listened to hip hop, metal, Tom Waits, Classical and even some Stevie and it all sounded very open and detailed without being hyped.
Wait, Stevie Wonder or Stevie Nicks? It makes a BIG difference!

I had a KRK Rokit 12 sub that I loved, never tried the tops tho.

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

calaverasgrandes

Re: mackie get spanked by Rokit.

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 pm

thecheat wrote:
Wait, Stevie Wonder or Stevie Nicks? It makes a BIG difference!

I had a KRK Rokit 12 sub that I loved, never tried the tops tho.

Chris
there is only one "Stevie". If you have to ask, you just dont know.
Wonder of course!
I surely wish he would get back to his ass kicking 70's 80's self though.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:19 pm

These KRK Rokit 6's look pretty good. I would be concerned about their lowest frequency being 49hz, but then again, I'm the guy that posted last week asking for help on monitor selection, so what do I know?

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:40 pm

About the Stevie comment, THANK GOD! Anybody see the South Park with,'Stevie Nicks" going to Iraq?
losthighway wrote:These KRK Rokit 6's look pretty good. I would be concerned about their lowest frequency being 49hz, but then again, I'm the guy that posted last week asking for help on monitor selection, so what do I know?
I wouldn't get too caught up in the specs of anything recording and sound wise, only one thing matters, does it sound good, and can you get work done with them? 49 hz is pretty low, if you want any concise extension below that with ANY monitors, you're probably gonna need a sub anyway. Guitar Center's 30 day (at that time) return policy really helped me in my monitor choice, I just put a pair on the Old Master Card, did a mix, decided if i hated it or not, took em back, and then tried again with a different pair. Yeah I know ill probably get some crap for this, but I did end up keeping the Yamaha HS80Ms!

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Dynaudio bm6a !
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:18 pm

wow, you can get the older rokit 5's for like 200 bones a pair on ebay no problem. Maybe this is an incredibly affordable, albeit mild, upgrade from my Alesis M1's. I might have to brave GC today to do some listening. Hopefully this time the pro audio department won't try to convince me to replace all my drum mics with Audix products.