here is my ebay problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

here is my ebay problem

Post by versuviusx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 am

ok so i sold 2 pedals on ebay. 1 was a turbo rat which cost 40 bucks the other was a atomic that sold for 100 bucks. well some how the new winners got the wrong pedals and now the one who got the atomic won't send it backt to me so i can correct this ordeal. what can i do?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 am

Shit that sucks, and with evilbay's new policy not allowing sellers to post bad feeback....

Even after explaining the situation the guy has no intention of sending it back??
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 am

refund the $100 to the guy who bought the atomic and have him send you back the Rat (at your cost). resell the Rat.

pursue the recovery of the atomic as best you can, and resell it if you can get it back.

if you can't, take the loss as an object lesson in making sure you mail boxes properly. i've been on the buyer's end of this situation numerous times, and expecting the buyer (who is probably already understandably pissed at the situation) to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to help you fix your goof isn't going to go over well.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 am

Agree with smitty. I've done some stupid ebay things like mail something without delivery confirmation. If they say they never recieved it, you can't prove otherwise so you're almost obligated to refund them thier money. In you're situation I would just try to come out the best you can and usre it as a lesson unfortunately.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Smitty wrote:refund the $100 to the guy who bought the atomic and have him send you back the Rat (at your cost). resell the Rat.

pursue the recovery of the atomic as best you can, and resell it if you can get it back.

if you can't, take the loss as an object lesson in making sure you mail boxes properly. i've been on the buyer's end of this situation numerous times, and expecting the buyer (who is probably already understandably pissed at the situation) to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to help you fix your goof isn't going to go over well.
i would add:
and never use ebay again.
seriously.

Tears of Rage
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tears of Rage » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Are all of the communications with both buyers done through eBay as opposed to direct emailing?

If so, could eBay look at the communications and threaten the dude with canceling his account if he doesn't return the pedal or pay the difference for what it sold on the other auction? Doubtful, but a thought...

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 am

The monster known as eBay stopped for a moment to turn and fix it's beady glare on versuviusx. For a moment, he almost thought his presence would illicit some sort of response from the beast. But after a second's passing, it returned it's attention to the giant pile of money, shoveling it into it's horrible mouth with both hands.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:52 am

Tears of Rage wrote:Are all of the communications with both buyers done through eBay as opposed to direct emailing?

If so, could eBay look at the communications and threaten the dude with canceling his account if he doesn't return the pedal or pay the difference for what it sold on the other auction? Doubtful, but a thought...
Doubtful, since there is really no way of proving which pedal was sent in the first place. It's the seller's word against the buyer's, which is how eBay manages to do so little in the way of dispute resolution.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 am

joel hamilton wrote:
Smitty wrote:refund the $100 to the guy who bought the atomic and have him send you back the Rat (at your cost). resell the Rat.

i would add:
seriously.
that's kind of a rash suggestion.

i've been using ebay for almost 10 years now. i've only once had a minor problem.

it works for me with great results...

like anything, you have to use caution...

joel, are there any political reasons for not using ebay? i lost you there...

Tears of Rage
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tears of Rage » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:26 am

the finger genius wrote:
Tears of Rage wrote:Are all of the communications with both buyers done through eBay as opposed to direct emailing?

Doubtful, since there is really no way of proving which pedal was sent in the first place. It's the seller's word against the buyer's, which is how eBay manages to do so little in the way of dispute resolution.
I agree...I just wondered if both buyers acknowledged that they received the wrong pedals using the emails through eBay. If so, possibly eBay could access them.

Just a thought......shitty situation.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 am

mobtownstudios wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:

i would add:
seriously.
that's kind of a rash suggestion.

i've been using ebay for almost 10 years now. i've only once had a minor problem.

it works for me with great results...

like anything, you have to use caution...

joel, are there any political reasons for not using ebay? i lost you there...
It is just my opinion. I have had seemingly very good people sell me very broken things, and misrepresent them all the while. over and over.
There are so many great gear dealers that stand behind their stuff, even the used stuff. Places like vintage king, sonic circus, paul at odyssey... they all actually sell things that work, and are represented properly.
Ebay is like a cross between a flea market, and a used car lot... you know what you are getting into when you "go in" there, but it still has the ability to feel "scammy" for used audio equipment specifically. I shouldnt have made such a blanket statement. If you want autographed pictures of paris hilton, or a set of forks, ebay can be great. for pro audio, especially vintage pro audio..a couple of bad apples has simply spoiled it for me all around.
this is SO far off topic.
I hope the OP found a decent resolution for this, and though I sympathize with you.. it is exactly this kind of mis-step, even with the best of intentions, that would bum me out eventually... having had things like this happen, coupled with paypal nightmares... no thatnks. no more ebay for pro audio or vuntage stuff unless it is the most amazing thing ever for 50 dollars. (wont happen).

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 am

joel hamilton wrote: no more ebay for pro audio or vuntage stuff unless it is the most amazing thing ever for 50 dollars. (wont happen).
Just wait till I post THIS auction:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 am

joel hamilton wrote:i would add:
seriously.
Then, next time you're out of town, take the guy's address with you and go to a large book store. Pull every subscription card you can out of every magazine and fill them out with his name and information on them. Send them in from wherever you are.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 am

cgarges wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:i would add:
seriously.
Then, next time you're out of town, take the guy's address with you and go to a large book store. Pull every subscription card you can out of every magazine and fill them out with his name and information on them. Send them in from wherever you are.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
*Looks up ex-girlfriends' addresses...*

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:56 pm

or I'm sure someone on these forums lives in the persons Area, you can pay one of us to go to there house and get it back :D