Monster pwn'd: Finally they lose a lawsuit!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:08 am

ubertar wrote:
trodden wrote:
Holy Wolf wrote:YEEEEES!! FUCK THAT COMPANY!!

I despise them and I also despise there cables. They fucking blow!! The only good thing about monster is you only need to buy them once and there are warrantied for life no matter what. In highschool I would fuck so many of there cables up on stage I would just take them back all mangled without receipt and they would just replace them at any store that carried them. It was awesome. Do they still do that? Now that I am older and care more about tone and such though, I do not care what they offer, I will not buy that shit!! I like george L's just fine!!
its good that they still do that, cause after a few years of using their shit, the slightly LARGER 1/4 jack will affect your input jack on your guitar, making regular 1/4 instrument cables buzz and not make good contacts.. happened to two people i play with. they ended up switching out their inputs and never using monster again..
I had a similar experience with your mom. :wink:
Solid delivery.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:28 am

Nobody ever rushes to monster's defense in these threads. They are apparently even more universally reviled than gc, behringer, windows, or walmart.

So, we have skipped the devils advocate flamewar and gone right to 'your mom'/weenis jokes.

Holy Wolf
gettin' sounds

Post by Holy Wolf » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Tatertot wrote:Nobody ever rushes to monster's defense in these threads. They are apparently even more universally reviled than gc, behringer, windows, or walmart.

So, we have skipped the devils advocate flamewar and gone right to 'your mom'/weenis jokes.
Your mom's weenis

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Tatertot wrote:Nobody ever rushes to monster's defense in these threads. They are apparently even more universally reviled than gc, behringer, windows, or walmart.
I dislike all those companies except behringer. If you buy their cheap shit, your loss, not mine. Atleast they're not suing everyone, making shitty operating systems, or trying to take over the world.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:52 am

Neato. Mention wal
-mart, behringer or msft and the thread lurches back to life.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:55 am

ubertar wrote:
trodden wrote:
Holy Wolf wrote:YEEEEES!! FUCK THAT COMPANY!!

I despise them and I also despise there cables. They fucking blow!! The only good thing about monster is you only need to buy them once and there are warrantied for life no matter what. In highschool I would fuck so many of there cables up on stage I would just take them back all mangled without receipt and they would just replace them at any store that carried them. It was awesome. Do they still do that? Now that I am older and care more about tone and such though, I do not care what they offer, I will not buy that shit!! I like george L's just fine!!
its good that they still do that, cause after a few years of using their shit, the slightly LARGER 1/4 jack will affect your input jack on your guitar, making regular 1/4 instrument cables buzz and not make good contacts.. happened to two people i play with. they ended up switching out their inputs and never using monster again..
I had a similar experience with your mom. :wink:
oh! you're mommy's little monster!

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:45 pm

on the litiguous side, even Behringer is not immune. They were after all sued by the hated Mackie for copying their gear too closely from mackies stuff.
Well that and they got busted for just slapping UL and CE logos on stuff that had never been certified by either.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:54 pm

trodden wrote:
Holy Wolf wrote:its good that they still do that, cause after a few years of using their shit, the slightly LARGER 1/4 jack will affect your input jack on your guitar, making regular 1/4 instrument cables buzz and not make good contacts.. happened to two people i play with. they ended up switching out their inputs and never using monster again..
Yes, I had a guitarist (with a good ear for tone) in who used munster stuff, and all his jack sockets were screwed - pedals, amp, guitar, the lot. We couldn't use any of our cables tap into his signal chain.
Ironically, he said he used it because it was robust, he couldn't hear any difference with regular cables.

The idea that the jack fits "better" is a weird one IMHO, there may be more pressure on the earthing sleve, but the tip contact isn't going to be any different in terms of contact area AFAIK.
If I'm not mistaken, the plating will strip-off the jack and sockets quicker, and the plating on the socket isn't gold, so there's very little benefit from having one part of the contact gold and not the other: pressure creates heat, which speeds up oxidation on the socket.

All said, reading;
"Multiple Time Correct windings phase align signal for natural reproduction of midrange frequencies." and "other cables can smother sound, increase distortion and flatten bass" in their promo copy should ring alarm-bells for anyone... Distortion from a straight-wire cable, that's audible above the hiss, hum and distortion of a guitar amp (even set "clean"). There's a concept.
Last edited by Vogon on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Monster pwn'd: Finally they lose a lawsuit!

Post by Andy Peters » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:21 pm

I wonder if Monster will sue Fred Schneider for that song that goes, "There's a Monster in my pants ..."

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Monster pwn'd: Finally they lose a lawsuit!

Post by ubertar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:10 am

Andy Peters wrote:I wonder if Monster will sue Fred Schneider for that song that goes, "There's a Monster in my pants ..."

-a
If it's 20 feet long and a quarter inch wide, it's really not something to brag about. :D