Shinybox "Si" mic pre wow.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Shinybox "Si" mic pre wow.

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:22 pm

SO I got a single channel of the Shinybox "Si" mic pre, and tried it out as a drum room mic, and also for some guitars. The room mic I used with the "Si" was my Telefunken U47, lofted WAY up (like 15'plus) to the ceiling at Studio G. I use Latch Lake stands for this kind of thing, so i dont even sweat a nice mic like that being way the heck up in a crazy position like that.

Anyway,
This is a mic and a position I know very well, so it is easy for me to evaluate other aspects of the chain. This mic pre is really great. I was really surprised to hear how solid, forward, and detailed this pre was sounding.. to the point where I made sure I hadnt patched up my usual chain to be sure.
It was patched correctly, and I patched up one channel of a Neve 33609 limiter after the pre, for some oomph on the way in. I was recording straight into protools HD in this case. clocked atomically(antelope 10M and isochrone), through apogee and Digi converters. Certainly resolute enough to judge this pre, at least for my own personal use. I didnt realize I woul like it so much that i would feel compelled to write an unsolicited review here.

If you have a 500 series based lunchbox: This mic pre is worth getting. Like 100% worth getting. It sounds really, really good. It has a TON of gain (72db!!), and has what I believe is a 10Db trim pot as well, so you can scorch the input a little and chill out the output (for that type of sound).
The metering is quite good for a 500 series pre, and who cares anyway, because you are watching the level on the capture device MUCh more than on the mic pre, but it is nice as a "signal present" light if you are troubleshooting a complex input chain.
The pots feel completely sturdy and well made, and the pre is completely sealed in its own box.. it looks waterproof! (please do not use this in the bathtub then email me about how you died, or swim with it and email me about how IT died).

Long story short:

This mic pre is totally great, and I cant believe it costs as little as it does. Getting a lunchbox with a pair of these an a couple of EQ's in there would be an INSANE semi-mobile rig, or totally worthwhile in any studio. Keep in mind that I have a vintage neve console, and I will totally be using this mic pre, and getting another soon!
You really need to get a pair of these. The company is cool, the pre is cool, and it is super well made and affordable! what else could we possibly want?
Thanks for making this great pre, Jon!

http://www.shinybox.com/studioe.php

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm

*counts day until Joel is quoted in advertisement*

:P

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:32 pm

Electricide wrote:*counts day until Joel is quoted in advertisement*

:P
:)
If I am, it is ok only because I actually mean it. Shinybox can use any or all of those words wherever they want. I am going to buy another "Si" from them and continue to enjoy using them to make the best recordings I can! its not like we are talking about Focusrite??????? here... :)

:roll:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Hey Joel,

Probably too early for you to know this, but what kind of apps do you see the pair of Si's being used in your day to day use? I ask cause you seem to have some usual suspects for usual circumstances (like sage pres for kick and snare), and curious where you would see the pair showing up the most.

thanks.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:12 pm

trodden wrote:Hey Joel,

Probably too early for you to know this, but what kind of apps do you see the pair of Si's being used in your day to day use? I ask cause you seem to have some usual suspects for usual circumstances (like sage pres for kick and snare), and curious where you would see the pair showing up the most.

thanks.
Probably room mics and / or toms. I would just use outboard EQ if i needed some on the way in, which I rarely do on toms at all.
Either that or Bass mic and one mono room mic. The pre is super "smack-ey" which I LOVE for bass mic. SOmething that really pulls in the growl of the bass from the mic, as I will use the DI under normal circumstances for the low end anyway.
Put it this way, in very broad terms,the "si" is like a cross between an API 312 and a jensen J99 type of pre. Fast, honkingly awesome mids, and tons of forward-but-not-bright presence. Can be JUST the right thing for a bunch of apps.
You are right, I have my go-to's worked out pretty well, and the "si" is going to live along side the germs and the neve's and the sage's and the old manley tube reference stuff... so it is with great respect that I say, "welcome"... :)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:04 pm

And for what it's worth, Jon at Shinybox is a totally cool dude. We worked out a trade a couple of years ago, and the pair of 46mxl's I got were amazing.

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

What's the plural of Si?

Post by channelcat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Joel, thanks for the unsolicited review. Please let us know if you use them on kick and/or snare.

The Si sounds really promising. It's the only transformerless 500-series pre out, right? I wonder what it'd sound like paired with my TLM170, maybe as a mono overhead. The price is oh so righteous too! I hope Jon sells a bunch of these; a package deal with a pair of his mics would be really enticing.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks for the review Joel! I've been waiting on this one. The Si is getting moved to the top of my "to buy" list. Used to be a Great River for my lunchbox, but given the good review and the price difference, I'm chomping at the bit to try the Shiny Box out for myself.

Smitty
tinnitus

Re: What's the plural of Si?

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:58 pm

channelcat wrote:The Si sounds really promising. It's the only transformerless 500-series pre out, right?
the Shadow Hills Mono Gama is switchably transformerless, and i believe the Mint Julep is transformerless as well.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 am

its funny,
I dont normally like transformerless stuff, but this thing has so much "oomph" to it... Really worthy.

True what mjau said about Jon. Super great person. You can feel good about supporting shinybox. The company is certainly not some mega conglomerate. it is Jon.

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Re: What's the plural of Si?

Post by channelcat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:22 am

Smitty wrote:
channelcat wrote:The Si sounds really promising. It's the only transformerless 500-series pre out, right?
the Shadow Hills Mono Gama is switchably transformerless, and i believe the Mint Julep is transformerless as well.
Don't know how I forgot about the Mint Julep. Smitty, you're correct, it is transformerless. I didn't realize the Mono Gama had that option too. Nice!

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am

joel hamilton wrote: True what mjau said about Jon. Super great person. You can feel good about supporting shinybox. The company is certainly not some mega conglomerate. it is Jon.

+1. Awesome guy. I approached him at AES in New York last year, and he knew who I was before I introduced myself, just by my name badge. Super friendly, and cool dude.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

pan60
audio school graduate

Post by pan60 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:28 pm

+2
Jon is a great guy! 8)
check out pan60.com

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Man, I go on vacation for a few days, and you guys go and talk behind my back :wink:

Thanks for the comments and support everyone. It really means a lot.

Joel, I'm glad you like the sound of it! I'll be combing over (ha, comb over!) your posts to see what marketing weazelness can be eeked out of it :P

Be sure to play with the hi-z switch on ribbon and dynamic mics! :D

Regards

Jon

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:34 pm

For sure I need to check out the hi-z switch.
I did mess with it, but only with a tube condenser connected, and even still, the two different characters were interesting.