Mod 828mk2 or get a Duet? Or good A/D?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mangoose
alignin' 24-trk

Mod 828mk2 or get a Duet? Or good A/D?

Post by mangoose » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Hello,

I want to upgrade my signal path a little bit. I currently have an MOTU 828mk2 as the center piece of my home set up. I don't normally track more than 2-3 sources at a time, but I like the flexible I/O of the 828, as I can keep all my synths and pres plugged in, no need for a patch bay.

so im thinking, either:

a) have BLA do their thing on the analog stages of the 828, and maybe pickup their external clock to clean up that whole thing.

b) get an apogee duet, keep the 828 for tracking synths, or the rare ocassion i need more than 2inputs.

c) get a 2-channel mytek or similar A/D, lightpipe into the 828, and eventually a mytek D/A.

the advantage to a) is getting 10 channels of pretty darn good conversion for very little cost/channel. However, it means subjecting a 5 year old piece of kit to the rigors of shipping, and modding. Plus I don't have a backup interface so I'll be 100% down for a few weeks.

b) is neat because its the cheapest option, I can keep my 828 for MIDI input and ill have a backup interface, plus two more preamp flavors. It's not neat cause my 828 basically turns into big paperweight, and the Duet, with only 2 ins means either getting a patchbay so i can make use of all my outboard, or connecting and reconnecting things.

c) is great because i maintain the flexibility of having the 828, i can clock the 828 to the mytek, and overall the mytek will give me the best sound. obviously this is the most expensive option, and i wont be able to buy A/D and D/A at the same time. I'll also need a patchbay to easily route my different pres to the 2-channel mytek though...

what would you do? Money isn't tight, it's nonexistent. But i can't even start saving because i don't know what my goal is. paralyzed by indecision i guess.

thanks!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:20 am

do the BLA. I love my BLA modded 828.
Make sure you check all your channels when you get it back. Mine came back with a sputtering mic pre.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:02 pm

if you get the mod and a MicroClock, i'd recommend buying 3ft of the Evidence Audio Monorail cable and have BLA terminate the ends to BNC.

that combo will kick some serious butt.

never heard a Duet, so i can't comment on that one.

rwc
resurrected

Re: Mod 828mk2 or get a Duet? Or good A/D?

Post by rwc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:50 pm

mangoose wrote: But i can't even start saving because i don't know what my goal is. paralyzed by indecision i guess.
woah

you can always start saving!

I had a ton saved up by the time I was 17 from various jobs. I had no idea I'd blow so much on loser stocks and audio gear... but it was there when I wanted it to be!

the cool thing about saving is once you know what you want, the money will be there. I had no idea what I'd spend what I got on, until I wanted it.. but when I wanted it, it was there.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:32 pm

I have both a BLA modified 828mk2 (2006 analog/clock mod) and an Apogee Duet. Both options sound really great. If you need the flexibility of having multiple i/o + MIDI, mod the 828mk2. You will not be disappointed as it is a great little interface after Black Lion sends it back.

I love my Duet and I've been using it for 95% of everything since December. Why? Because I've been mostly mixing or self-recording. I have the BLA 828mk2 for drums, multiple channels, etc.

Jeff