Tree Audio 500 Console by Inward Connections

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Tree Audio 500 Console by Inward Connections

Post by musikman316 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm

http://vintageking.com/Tree-Audio-500-b ... onnections

Oh how I want one... 24 channels, 3 buckets plus 16 more slots in the master section (so 88 500 series slots). 4 busses, and beautiful.

$38,750.00

Josh

Edit: It looks like they have a $295.00 500 series meter that you can use as well, that's what is on the top row of the console. The console can also be used as a summing mixer without any 500 series modules installed.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 pm

this certainly does not help me cure my lust for 500-series gear...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Wow, mega gear boner.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:33 am

that's pretty much nearing 6-figures though, loaded, isn't it? I'm sure it's super well built and who hasn't dreamed of a 500 series console, but nearing $100k for a 4-bus console that it appears would void the warranty of many of the modules made for it (heard nothing of VPR status yet...) is a hard swallow.

but yea. in terms of "forget the money..." - awesome. Be cool to have options for rear connectors though. D-subs to wire into the patchbays without having an extra 200lbs of cables laying around.

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 am

weatherbox wrote:Be cool to have options for rear connectors though. D-subs to wire into the patchbays without having an extra 200lbs of cables laying around.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine spending that kind of money on a console and being forced to use XLR's and the like to wire it up.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:32 pm

weatherbox wrote:that's pretty much nearing 6-figures though, loaded, isn't it?
With the stuff they are showing in it, it would be VERY expensive for sure. At least someone FINALLY did this though. Havent we all lamented the fact that there wasnt a completely modular console, using this form factor, for years?
The 500 series stuff, even when it was mostly api, with some random MXR stuff and a couple of others thrown in (aengus and the like), could have totally made getting a frame, then upgrading to more pre's... a reality! Next we will prbably see summing boxes with 500 series slots built in... then watch for 500 series pan pots... with USB inputs...;)

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:20 am

This is simply an evolution of the concept Rupert Neve Designs originated in its 5088 desk - build a great-sounding routing platform for whatever modules the owner wants to install (in RND's case, of course, just its own modules). The fact that the Inward desk fits 500 series modules will make it a far more popular product, but it's still beyond the budgetary reach of most players. Rupert's original concept was to provide an affordable platform for those recordists who already had scads of outboard and wanted an integrated line mixer. That morphed into a desk that is twice the original cost of entry, unloaded.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:30 pm

It's definitely a cool concept, good observation about the Neve comparison. $100K for one of those loaded isn't much of a stretch at all and if you didn't have the modules to load it up what would be the point? They mention 2 different power sources but I have to wonder how it would work out with all the mixing and matching of different manufacturers. I know Chandler makes a big disclaimer about the fact that their germanium 500 isn't compatible with the API lunchbox's internal power source. I'd have to imagine that they've put the R&D in to make sure everything works well and there's a low s/n ratio. At least I'd hope so for that price tag.

I'll go ahead and pop that and a few dozen new 500 modules at the top of my letter to Santa this year.