Jazzmaster tremolo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rogercollege
ass engineer

Jazzmaster tremolo

Post by rogercollege » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 am

In the center of the Jazzmaster tremolo plate, just behind the bridge pickup, there is a flat circular switch that moves back and forth horizontally (like the strings.)

Anyone know what this does? When the switch is in forward or back position, it doesn't seem to affect the tremolo response.

poopdealer
audio school graduate

Post by poopdealer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:50 am

It's the trem lock. I believe you slide it backward to lock the bridge from de-tuning. I lock mine because I only ever dive on the whammy -a la MBV.

I think it was meant to lock the bridge in case a string breaks, not all of the strings would de-tune.
Frigg off, Ricky.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:04 am

i often see it engaged and the arm removed.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 am

With the "button" slid all the way towards the pickups, you have to push the bar all the way down, then still holding bar down slide the button towards the bridge. It places a spacer in between the bar mechanism and the bridge plate so it barely moves at all. If you see the bottom of one of these bridges it's easy to see what it does. When it's in place properly the bar is useless, up or down. I engage it when I change strings. I would use it all the time if I was never going to use the bar, but then what's the point of playing the J.master! Also wrapping electrical tape around the posts of the saddle greatly reduces movement with heavy bar use, keeps it in almost perfect tune even when going bar crazy.

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Jaguars have the same setup, but have a shorter scale neck - and also a funky foam string mute and almost as much chrome as a '58 Buick.
Song-Writer

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:07 am

Some '60s Egmonds (mine looks like a black leatherette-covered JM, but actually sounds closer to a Gretsch than a Fender?) )have a very similar wang bar arrangement to the jazz/jag, but that part is actually cooler- instead of having a sliding thingy to lock the tailpiece down, it actually has a screw that adjusts the amount of "give" in the bar, from completely locked and immoble to ridiculously wobbly. Maybe actually the coolest vibrato device ever...wonder if, given the similar size and shape, it'd actually fit in a jag or jazz? hmmmm....
I like pie.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:08 am

j_howell wrote:Some '60s Egmonds (mine looks like a black leatherette-covered JM, but actually sounds closer to a Gretsch than a Fender?) )have a very similar wang bar arrangement to the jazz/jag, but that part is actually cooler- instead of having a sliding thingy to lock the tailpiece down, it actually has a screw that adjusts the amount of "give" in the bar, from completely locked and immoble to ridiculously wobbly. Maybe actually the coolest vibrato device ever...wonder if, given the similar size and shape, it'd actually fit in a jag or jazz? hmmmm....
Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Bass VI vibrato systems also have a screw adjustment for tension as well.

Roger

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:17 am

Really? Wow...I've never owned one, and the rare times we had one in at the shop where I used to work, we never had them long enough for me to thoroughly check them out- seems like we always had about enough time for me to use the "trem-lok" long enough to change strings, then they'd be back out the door...

That said, the Jazzmaster is probably my favorite electric guitar ever. Hope I can afford one someday!

Speaking of...is it just me, or does it seem like the Jazzmaster's neck is typically a little wider (side to side) but not as thick (front-to-back) as a Strat's of similar age?
I like pie.