severe ear infections... both ears too!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Slider
george martin

severe ear infections... both ears too!

Post by Slider » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Why do these things always happen at the worst possible time?
My ears hurt and sound like they are underwater. I can't work at all.
Canceled a bunch of sessions. People are pissed.
So frustrating. Music sounds even more annoying than it normally does.
I'll be so happy when I can hear again. I'm praying the antibiotics get rid of this fast.
It really freaks me out when my ears don't work right.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:28 pm

those pissed off people need to realise you have a potentially serious illness and need to get it sorted out!

i got a raging middle ear infection in 1990 right near the end of mxing a project.

i bulled my way thru it without seeing a doctor and the day i finished my cousin was driving me to Dallas and me right eardrum burst and spewed blood and pus across my right shoulder and onto the passenger-side window.

it hurt so much that for a moment i thought i'd been shot but then i got a noseful of pus stench and knew.

it took nearly a month of agony, deafness, antibiotics and sleeping 18 hours a day before i was over it and my hearing didn't recover to near normal until early the following year.

btw, i had to redo everything i'd done while my ear was messed up, so i pretty much wasted a bunch of time and money that could've been saved if only i'd postponed the work and taken care of my health problem first.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 pm

RefD wrote:
i bulled my way thru it without seeing a doctor and the day i finished my cousin was driving me to Dallas and me right eardrum burst and spewed blood and pus across my right shoulder and onto the passenger-side window.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:48 pm

newfuturevintage wrote:
RefD wrote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
+1

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:50 pm

i sympathize.... i used to have severe ear infections constantly as a kid... i thought Amoxicillin was candy.

get well soon!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 pm

thanks everyone! I'm going to take as much time off as needed to hear normally again. My left ear sounds like a blown out speaker. It's like I have the "you really got me" guitar tone built into that ear. lol

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 am

Not sure where you are, but I know a great DR at Columbia in NYC who literally saved the hearing in my right ear. This is after another Dr had under prescribed a dose to correct it, and my hearing was rapidly on the way out.

PM me if you are anywhere near NYC and want his info.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:33 am

Man, sorry to hear that. Ref, that's a hell of a story. Best wishes, Slider! Hope it gets better soon.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:36 am

cgarges wrote:Man, sorry to hear that. Ref, that's a hell of a story. Best wishes, Slider! Hope it gets better soon.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
+1
Prog out with your cog out.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:01 am

+2

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:14 am

RefD wrote: i bulled my way thru it without seeing a doctor and the day i finished my cousin was driving me to Dallas and me right eardrum burst and spewed blood and pus across my right shoulder and onto the passenger-side window.
:shock: holy shit!.....

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Can't say I spewed bloody pus like RefD, but I did have both eardrums rupture from the pressure and I oozed bloody pus from both ears for a couple days. That was what got me to go to a GP and get Augmentin to replace the wussy Amoxicillin they had given me at the emergency room.

I had red earwax coming out for a good couple years or so after that. I think my ears are back to normal, but who knows, maybe they just got used to how they sound now.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:44 pm

i think i caught mine from a pair of dirty headphones.

ppl, please clean yr cans...and your headphones too!

*buhdumbum*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Smitty wrote:i sympathize.... i used to have severe ear infections constantly as a kid... i thought Amoxicillin was candy.

get well soon!
Me too. I still get them once a year but these days my pain threshold is crazy high and I somehow manage to bully my way through work. It suck though.

Stopping smoking made a huge difference (if that helps at all).

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:00 pm

yeah, it's a wonder i can hear at all at this point.

funny story about that...

when i was little, my parents thought something was up and took me to get my hearing tested. the lady gave me some kind of verbal hearing test and i passed with a good score. she then covered her mouth and gave me the same test over again and i failed miserably.

she came out and told my parents... well, your son is mostly deaf... but he's taught himself to read lips!

some surgeries later, much of my hearing got restored... and now i'm killing it again with that nasty rock'n'roll... :wink:
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks