What the hell is a demo anyway?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

airloom
gettin' sounds

What the hell is a demo anyway?

Post by airloom » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:58 am

So I get a call from some kids who just graduated high school.
They want to record a "demo"
I asked what the purpose was, and they said to shop around to labels for a record deal.
Does this even work anymore?
How the hell do you record a demo?
What the hell is the point of it?

I've never encountered this on it's own.
Ideas?
I love you.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:08 am

How the hell do you record a demo?
Do you mean demo as opposed to a polished studio record? These days I would look at a demo as a raw, mostly live record.
What the hell is the point of it?
You want to show venues and labels what the band actually sounds like without much producing or polishing. You know a realistic example of the live band's prowess.

Do it fast and make it honest.

airloom
gettin' sounds

Post by airloom » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:12 am

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me, but it's work.
Huh.
Demo.
I mean, if I'm teaching a song to a band, I'd 4-track it and that would be a demo, but why go into a studio just to do something live, you know?
I would think there is a better way to do things in a studio.
Maybe I'm just too hung up on what I think a demo is.
I love you.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:17 am

airloom wrote: Maybe I'm just too hung up on what I think a demo is.
I think that is the case. A demo can be a bunch of different things. To some it's just a short record. To other's a raw, quick recording done on the cheap. Others still think of a really good recording without a lot of 'extra frills.'

I think you'd be best off haveing a short meeting with the artists to find out what their definition of a demo is, and give them the best version of that that they and you are capable of. 15 minutes with them and you'll have a good idea on the approach to take.

You'll be fine!!!

airloom
gettin' sounds

Post by airloom » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:21 am

I think one of the things that threw me for a loop was them saying "We want to do it to tape."
I mean if you're not focusing on the recording, why spend all that damn money to go to tape.
I don't get it.
I love you.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:32 am

airloom wrote:I think one of the things that threw me for a loop was them saying "We want to do it to tape."
I mean if you're not focusing on the recording, why spend all that damn money to go to tape.
I don't get it.
Again I think you're hung up on a word. I think they want a really great sounding, simple recording. Set up and get solid, rocking, sounds. Record the tunes and do a really solid simple mix. Don't hire session guys, don't stack 8 harmony vocals, don't add horns and keys, leave the tambourine in the box in the corner. Set up rock band, press red button, take cash, be happy.

Not every project can be 'Dark side of the Moon" or "The Soft Bulletin."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:52 am

I agree with drumsound, and I'll add: be thankful that there's still a local band out there that doesn't think of every recording as an "album project."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

airloom
gettin' sounds

Post by airloom » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 am

Good call.
I'll just take 'er easy.
I love you.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:09 pm

dwlb wrote:I agree with drumsound, and I'll add: be thankful that there's still a local band out there that doesn't think of every recording as an "album project."
this is true... but, the other sad truth is that the majority of the time when a band says that they want to record a "demo", they really want the same quality of recording that they've heard other bands get at your place, just for a fraction of the cost.

"Demo" to me, says that I better be charging hourly for this session.

and, yeah... I don't think that a lot of bands get signed these days sending out unsolicited "demo" recordings to labels. In this case, it sounds like they may just not really know what to do or how to actually be a local band.

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:10 pm

A "demo" is a recording of a song that you later spend thousands of dollars and hours of time trying to recapture the spirit of, only to get 90% there.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:11 pm

In my experience it's usually a band's three best songs, recorded as quickly as possible with the best engineer you can afford. I think it depends on the purpose. Has sending out unsolicited demos to record labels EVER landed anyone a deal? The most common usage I've seen for demos is something to hand out for free at shows when you're starting out. These days it's usually songs to throw on myspace. I've seen bands do everything from home recording to doing it free through "a guy I know" or going to a full fledged studio and putting considerable amount of time and money into just a few tracks.

richierichie
ass engineer

Post by richierichie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:48 pm

I've always thought the traditional demo was indicative of a wider problem in music (Music, capital M?) - especially here in the UK. Lots and lots of artists desperatly seeking something without even knowing what it is they want. So they create very little - and produce a demo devoid of all the ideas and creativity which they will supposedly suddenly discover when given $100,000 to burn on studio time. That's not to say i haven't heard some great bands produce really great basic, functional recordings.

All tracks are keepers! Unless they're cr*p, of course.

Richie.
I like you mostly late at night

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:00 pm

I record demos often. For me they've been sketches and drafts. Ten years ago every unsigned band had a demo. But ten years ago a demo could get you a record deal. I think the paradigm has shifted and anyone looking for a record deal will be severely disappointed. So, gone are the days of demos, deals and DAT tapes. (I know a few of you are like "Screw that guy, I still use my DAT!") Hehe. Good luck wid dat.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:01 am

"I think one of the things that threw me for a loop was them saying "We want to do it to tape." "

Because they read in Tape Op that tape was cool. Sorry.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

evengangstersreadtapeop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by evengangstersreadtapeop » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:49 am

They want it to sound good, are willing to pay somebody to do it for them, but don't want to spend a lot of time laying down tracks for songs that they're probably still arranging and writing. You need some music to get people interested in you as a band, might as well make it sound decent.