Wiring up studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Wiring up studio

Post by markee2004 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm currently switching to an analog studio at home. I've aqquired all the main pieces: soundcraft M12 mixer, Tascam TSR8 tape machine, and some Tannoy monitors. I just need some help wiring it up.

My main problems are that I'm not sure if the inputs and outputs on the tape machine, and mixer are balanced or unbalanced? and if the 1/4 jack cables I need are the same as TRS cables which seem to be what most manufacturers refer to them as.

The other thing is I'm planning to use an output loom with y-cables from the 12 channells of the mixer to the 8 inputs of the tape machine, to give me more flexibility and micing options. Do most people get looms like this/most of their studio cabling custom ordered? as I can't really find what I need anywhere at the moment.

I'm planning to go with hosa cabling with the snake and mic cables as well as the looms, but I'm not really sure if it would be worth me spending more in this area, seeming as I certainly don't want to lose any audio qaulity through the cabling. Although I suppose it is always a matter of opinion.

Thanks.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

79_Limited
pluggin' in mics

Post by 79_Limited » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:54 pm

I had a similar setup as yours and run unbalanced is fine. The TSR8 runs the RCA connections which I believe are unbalanced.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:10 pm

skip the Hosa stuff (and also skip Monster products while you're at it!), cabling is an area you should never skimp on.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca