Pretty lame.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Send them a personal email first. If that doesn't work a cease and desist letter from n attorney, or at least on letterhead that looks like it comes from an attorney.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Re: Pretty lame.

Post by the finger genius » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:They're using large portions of my FAQ without permission. Lame-ola.
http://www.side3.com/faq.html
Can you link to your FAQ page? Can't find it on the site listed in your signature.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: Pretty lame.

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:59 pm

the finger genius wrote:Can you link to your FAQ page? Can't find it on the site listed in your signature.
it's in the "www" link below. :)
The one in my sig is my "label" site - the one in that "www" link is the studio.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:14 pm

I read your FAQ. Its a good one! I would be pissed if it was stolen too. Looks like you put a lot of time into it.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm

dynomike wrote:I read your FAQ. Its a good one! I would be pissed if it was stolen too. Looks like you put a lot of time into it.
Thanks! :D I did. When we first revamped the site - years ago - I had more spare time and really spent time on the text, the content there. Although technically a work in progress (shouldn't a FAQ be?!) it's been a long while since I updated the FAQ page - most of it was done right at the inception of the new site.

So, read theirs... as it goes along, and they're no longer swiping my words, their answers get filled with needless punctuation, become more mono-syllabic and, well, quite short. Clearly lazy.

I stand firm. Lame--o--rama.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 pm

If they stole stuff word-for-word, you should totally ask them to write their own copy. I mean, it IS a FAQ section and you and I have some of the same questions on ours with similar answers and I've seen plenty of studios and engineers with similar pages. I think it's a good idea in general, but if they directly stole your stuff, then yeah-- not cool.

I've had people steal descriptions from my gear page for ebay listings a couple of times and have asked them to stop.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 pm

LOTS of it word-for-word there. Boo.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:04 pm

RedCrownStudios wrote:PS,

the video is cheesy, but maybe I am not as spoiled as some of you peeps because I'd sell my left nut to have my studio as nice as that.

My largest tracking room is only 300 square feet.

:(
Damn right I'm jealous! :P Them schmucks should donate that space to the TOMB community!! VIVA LA PEOPLE!!!!! :^:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 pm

I had a chuckle at those constantly moving faders.

Jordan K
audio school graduate

Post by Jordan K » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:49 am

A lot of it is word for word. Not cool. How hard is it to write a FAQ section for your own studio? Every studio has different answers to these frequently asked questions.

One little thing about their FAQ section is they added an extra $1000 to the costs of Nirvanas "Bleach". Not sure why they would do that if they just copied and pasted the text. I'd probably be a little suspicious if they're giving false information on a hugely successful punk record which has the actual costs of the album written on the back of the freakin' record! FAQ that! Do they even own that record?.... probably just a typo though.
Jordan
http://www.emergency-room.ca
Vancouver, BC

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:57 am

Jordan K wrote:A lot of it is word for word. Not cool. How hard is it to write a FAQ section for your own studio? Every studio has different answers to these frequently asked questions.

One little thing about their FAQ section is they added an extra $1000 to the costs of Nirvanas "Bleach". Not sure why they would do that if they just copied and pasted the text. I'd probably be a little suspicious if they're giving false information on a hugely successful punk record which has the actual costs of the album written on the back of the freakin' record! FAQ that! Do they even own that record?.... probably just a typo though.
Typo? Don't they know how to use copy and paste? Very suspicious indeed.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:11 pm

With the amount of straight copy and paste going on from my FAQ to theirs, I suspect that's not a typo, but a way of keeping rates higher... :|
Seeing as it's a pretty commonly known number, I'm surprised they'd be so foolish...
...no, I'm not, actually.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:13 pm

what is amazing is how much that studio sucks!

imagine deciding that the majority of your budget was going to go to a rotating control room... they are really targeting the hiphop world...

'oh shit, son! it's spinnin'!!!'

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:05 pm

WHY would you want a rotating control room?

the phrase "take your project to the next level" should be banned from any studio/engineer's website.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:33 pm

i took your mom to the next level.
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/