Contact Mic: Has Anyone Ever Done This?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

Contact Mic: Has Anyone Ever Done This?

Post by maxadocious » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:15 pm

I really want to add a contact mic to my classical guitar using the technique described in cigarboxguitars.com:

http://cigarboxguitars.com/workshops/Pi ... sducer.php

But I am not sure about one stupid (on my part) aspect. Do I fasten the element itself to the soundboard, or do I want them to just touch. Also, should the tape go over the element or just around the outside. Any additional advice would also be appreciated.

PS: will this even work on a classical guitar?

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: Contact Mic: Has Anyone Ever Done This?

Post by Dakota » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Yes, this will work on a classical guitar. I've done the radio shack piezos converted to contact pickups on a lot of guitars and experimental instruments. The page you linked to is accurate enough for a basic go at it.

You can attach the pickup to the body a wide variety of ways - the timbre will vary *a lot* depending on how tight it's attached and where on the body it's placed. Experiment, and use your ears more than anything else.

You can use double sided sticky tape if you want, or just tape over it to put it in direct contact with the body. Or glue it on. Sometimes a thin bit of cork between the pickup and the body can help even out the sound.

I've also had good luck inserting these right inside bridge pieces on guitars (cutting a space to slide them into tightly), or into the wood foot-and-saddle type bridge on archtop guitars.

If needed, you can use scissors cut disc piezos like this into smaller chunks and they'll still work. Usually. Not a big financial risk if you break one experimenting.

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by maxadocious » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm

OMG thank you so much. I'm going to make something good. I've always liked the way classical guitars play/sound so much more than steel strings but I don't like the feel of having an onboard pre-amp. I think this will be a neat thing. Do you have any tips as to getting different sorts of intonations from soundboard placement? IE: how do I make it sound bassy or trebly and stuff like that? Thanks again.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:02 pm

are you looking to mount this inside or outside the guitar?

If you're looking to put it inside the guitar, and your issue with on-board preamps is the bout-mounted control set, you might try one of these:

http://www.acousticpreamp.com/servlet/t ... -PZ/Detail

$30, and it's got a buffer amp in the endpin jack, something to me that's very important to minimize the piezo harshness / low output.

I'm not affiliated with the company, but it is my quote and guitar on the home page http://www.acousticpreamp.com/servlet/StoreFront . I've not used the endpin jack advertised, but it's the same piezo element in my system. Sounds about as good as an under-saddle PU can.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:52 am

Google 'matrix tuner pickup'. I got one of these (or another brand), you can stick it on various parts of the guitar (uke in my case) soundboard to see where you're getting the best sound. 10 bucks and no soldering or gluing.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:58 am

maxadocious wrote:OMG thank you so much. I'm going to make something good. I've always liked the way classical guitars play/sound so much more than steel strings but I don't like the feel of having an onboard pre-amp. I think this will be a neat thing. Do you have any tips as to getting different sorts of intonations from soundboard placement? IE: how do I make it sound bassy or trebly and stuff like that? Thanks again.
Putting it near the bridge is a good place to start. The more the wood is moving in whatever area you put it, the higher the volume output will be. As far as bassy/trebly, that varies a lot depending on how tightly the pickup is in contact with the wood. And tap with your finger on areas near the bridge - the spots that have a bassier thomp sound will likelier sound bassier if a pickup is placed there.

Keep in mind moving a piezo by an eighth or quarter inch can make a huge difference in sound, so experiment a lot moving it around and listening. Use your ears to place it.