Help me spend $600

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 pm

+1 on the Mouse, I hear great things.

I have a pair of AT4050s that are great go to LDC mics. They fill out my closet nicely (need ribbons, though). I also have an SM7b, a 414 B/ULS, and an AT4047, and I think that the AT4050s are well-rounded workhorses.

Preamps... so many opinions... Do a lot of research. It would be nice to have some API-ish and Neve-ish clones in your arsenal, as well as something super clean like the Sytek MPX-4Aii.

Jeff

oldhouse
pluggin' in mics

Post by oldhouse » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations, and I am definately going to continue to research all my options before I buy. My one limitation is that I pretty much have to stick to guitar center for my purchases. Although, the person I deal with there is good at getting stuff they don't normally carry. I am aware that all this stuff is so relative to individual taste and experience. I haven't had the chance to work with any of these products, and I probably won't get the chance. I just hope to get quality pieces that will be useful for a long time to come. TOMB is where I always come to begin my research and see what others are using. Thanks.
?The gun went off accidentally.? -Phil Spector

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:46 pm

do you have an aversion to mail order/internet ordering?
Ido hold my nose and go into GC once or twice a year. But I've rarely been able to meaningfully evaluate any pro audio gear there. Its either not plugged in (and good luck getting them to plug it in) or it is plugged in but you have a background of un-coordinated guitar solos to contend with. I get a lot of my stuff from American musical supply, markertek, B&H and sweetwater. Once or twice I have used mercenary, but not as much as I'd like.

and about GC, what is it with those guys that they have to ask you if you are going to buy today, when you are just checking it out? hey some of us plan ahead and audition things before we get the next paycheck bub! (end soapbox)
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 am

Thanks to GC Pro, the regular stores can get quite a bit of high-end stuff that isn't on display. For example, I introduced my GC Pro rep to John Hardy, and I think his products are now available through them. Talk to your guy at the local store, tell him what you're thinking, and ask him to get in touch with one of the GC Pro reps. As well, you can check out their line card online.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:50 am

channelcat wrote:Thanks to GC Pro, the regular stores can get quite a bit of high-end stuff that isn't on display. For example, I introduced my GC Pro rep to John Hardy, and I think his products are now available through them. Talk to your guy at the local store, tell him what you're thinking, and ask him to get in touch with one of the GC Pro reps. As well, you can check out their line card online.
i wouldn't buy something from GC even if it was at cost.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 am

RefD wrote:[i wouldn't buy something from GC even if it was at cost.
Hey, I hear ya brother! I was just trying to provide a solution for the OP since he's limited in where he can shop.

Honestly, I stormed out of the local "shopping center" GC (these things are everywhere now), after cussing everyone out. I think it was right after they changed the commission structure, and the uppity little bitch running the accessories counter wouldn't check for something for me in the pro audio dept. system since she wasn't going to make any money on it. Said item should've been in accessories anyway, but they obviously don't give a crap or have a friggin clue what's what. The majority of my order was from accessories anyway, so she just screwed herself out of some coin. Such piss poor management taboot!

I'll give my buds at GC Pro some business in the future, but I'll never step foot in that crappy little satellite store again. I only went in there because someone gave me a gift card. I'd rather give my hard earned money to Warren, Nathan, Tony B., and Fletcher.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:52 am

or in my case I go to Leos Pro Audio and a few music stores. GC=walmart
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:22 am

put the $600 in a shoe box, and every time you make some cash, put a few $20's in the box... you could double that $600 figure pretty quick... instead of beers for a weekend, put that drinking money into the 'mic box'... then buy something really good...

that is my technique for saving... it works. if it goes in the bank, i spend it. if it sits in a box that says 'mic savings' on it, i don't touch it until i can buy something classic.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:30 am

toaster3000 wrote:put the $600 in a shoe box, and every time you make some cash, put a few $20's in the box... you could double that $600 figure pretty quick... instead of beers for a weekend, put that drinking money into the 'mic box'... then buy something really good...

that is my technique for saving... it works. if it goes in the bank, i spend it. if it sits in a box that says 'mic savings' on it, i don't touch it until i can buy something classic.

john
Its called 6 month CD. Banks are going nuts with their CD rates right now.
Prog out with your cog out.

oldhouse
pluggin' in mics

Post by oldhouse » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:32 am

I am going to spend the $600 on something, and it is going to be at Guitar Center. Thanks for all your advice, opinions, etc. I'll let you know what I decide on.
?The gun went off accidentally.? -Phil Spector

Lukey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lukey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:19 pm

I'll throw in a quick +1 for the reflexion filter.

Not the greatest thing to ever happen, but I've been really impressed with its ability to save vocals in really crappy rooms. It's been a lifesaver doing on-the-fly video stuff. probably would be useful in an untreated room.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:42 pm

channelcat wrote:
RefD wrote:i wouldn't buy something from GC even if it was at cost.
Hey, I hear ya brother! I was just trying to provide a solution for the OP since he's limited in where he can shop.
whoops, i somehow missed that! :oops:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 am

oldhouse wrote:I want to get something that I am going to love and use for a long time.
oldhouse wrote:What about the Neumann TLM-103?
These two are at odds with each other

:ar15: :ar15: new neumanns :ar15: :ar15: :ar15:
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:50 am

channelcat wrote:Honestly, I stormed out of the local "shopping center" GC (these things are everywhere now), after cussing everyone out. I think it was right after they changed the commission structure, and the uppity little bitch running the accessories counter wouldn't check for something for me in the pro audio dept. system since she wasn't going to make any money on it. Said item should've been in accessories anyway, but they obviously don't give a crap or have a friggin clue what's what. The majority of my order was from accessories anyway, so she just screwed herself out of some coin. Such piss poor management taboot!
no offense but if i made minimum wage and had to call people dude i wouldn't give a fuck about you either!

national retail chain jobs suck. luckily i ended that when I was 17.

all people who have a stake in GC give a fuck about is stock price - customer service is not a priority.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:56 am

someone is selling a vintage 414 on here. if i had $600, i would probably buy it.... the important this is buying something that is going to last and have both sonic AND name value... sorry, but it is true. telling someone they are singing through a vinage AKG will make them way more excited than telling them they are singing through a *insert brand new mic from GC here*

whatever you do, i hope you get some gear you enjoy.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/