Cascade vs. Shinybox

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Cascade vs. Shinybox

Post by losthighway » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:18 pm

One of these days I'm gonna buy a ribbon, while I wish it was a Royer 121, I probably won't have the dough. That new Cascade Gomez sounds like a pretty good poor man's 121. The Fat Head doesn't sound quite as nice but the price looks good.

Shinybox has gotten a lot of praise around here as well.

If you were only getting one, and it was your first and only ribbon mic in your mic locker, which would you buy?

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 pm

I don't know about the Shinybox mics but I will say that I like my Fathead II mics. They get used a lot. I'll probably get a few more models of Cascades. There seems to be a lot of affordable ribbons to choose from these days. I have a pair of Fathead IIs, a pair of Cad Trions which are just as nice as the Fatheads but maybe a little darker, A Nady R5, a pair of old Reslos which need to be refurbed and a Beyer M160 which is the best of them all. Depending on your needs you might be just as well off saving up for a Beyer unless you really need the whole figure 8 thing going on.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:28 pm

I've never used a Fathead, but I own a Shinybox with the Cinemag tranny, and I really like it a lot. It's beautiful on vocals, ac. instruments, and one of my favorites for el. guitar. Jon is a great dude and the customer service rules. Very easy to get in touch with if you have questions. That, to me, goes a long way.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 pm

I just picked up a pair of Cascade Fat Head Model C "Scoops" w/ Cinemag CM9888 transformers, and they are really smooth. I was on the fence about which model to get (FH or FHII, stock or upgraded transformer, etc.) until I saw these new mics on their site. Michael at Cascade was very friendly and helpful, and quick to respond to questions. I intend on picking up a Gomez, too, when funds allow (and maybe an Elroy).

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Another option is to get standard Nady RSM-4 ($79 each) and have it modded by Michael Joly.

I have an old model Shinybox and I like it, though I have to re-ribbon it, and install the Cinemag tranny (STILL haven't gotten around to it.... grumble).

oldhouse
pluggin' in mics

Post by oldhouse » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am

Are any of these ribbons good for a mono drum overhead?
?The gun went off accidentally.? -Phil Spector

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:16 am

I've only used the Scoops on guitar cab so far, so no comment RE: mono overhead usage.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 pm

oldhouse wrote:Are any of these ribbons good for a mono drum overhead?
Joly modded TOMB ribbon mic. Pre Joly mod, the TOMB ribbon is similar to one of the Nady/Apex models. Can't think of it right now.

I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with the shiny box models or a Joly modded version of the cheapies, both guys/companies offer awesome product and customer service. positive.

ceylon
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ceylon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

i got one ribbon mic--shinybox with lundahl. used it on my most problematic guitar setup last week. this one, a slightly modded jcm 800 50wt thru a good marshall 4x12 (w/25s) slant, sounds better than any setup at our space, but only in the room. it is always a real hassle to mic it to where it sounds anything like it really does in the room. so i set up last week, dropped the shinybox in front of it, got the sickest waves of texture and tone i'd ever heard on this rig thru a console...was very surprised. i expected the sound to improve but not this much (c'mon--a $50 mxl990 and a $400 ribbon?). set up the shinybox bottom right about 12-16 inches from the cone, dead center. set up an mxl 990 top left, 12-16 inches from the cone, dead center. wow. that was really easy. usually i'm behind the console while someone moves the mic around for 20 minutes as we almost get it to sound good.

ceylon
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ceylon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

i got one ribbon mic--shinybox with lundahl. used it on my most problematic guitar setup last week. this one, a slightly modded jcm 800 50wt thru a good marshall 4x12 (w/25s) slant, sounds better than any setup at our space, but only in the room. it is always a real hassle to mic it to where it sounds anything like it really does in the room. so i set up last week, dropped the shinybox in front of it, got the sickest waves of texture and tone i'd ever heard on this rig thru a console...was very surprised. i expected the sound to improve but not this much (c'mon--a $50 mxl990 and a $400 ribbon?). set up the shinybox bottom right about 12-16 inches from the cone, dead center. set up an mxl 990 top left, 12-16 inches from the cone, dead center. wow. that was really easy. usually i'm behind the console while someone moves the mic around for 20 minutes as we almost get it to sound good.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:26 pm

I have a fathead that i like a lot, def in the smooth and dark category. i usually use it with a triton fethead. i've used it on voice, guitar cab (not loud), acoustic bass and synth all to good effect.
Going to record a couple folkies (dylanesque singing and guitar) with it in a couple days.
Nice mic for cheap. The shinybox looks interesting as well. The fathead II is only different cosmetically, i don't get it, but whatever floats one's boat is good i guess.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 pm

ceylon wrote: set up an mxl 990 top left, 12-16 inches from the cone, dead center. wow.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes a 990 on guitar cabs. Dampen that cheap metal body to get rid of the resonance issues and it's all good.

Still sitting on the fence whether or not I should send it to Joly for a PE upgrade. Not so sure it needs it really.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 am

KennyLusk wrote:
ceylon wrote: set up an mxl 990 top left, 12-16 inches from the cone, dead center. wow.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes a 990 on guitar cabs. Dampen that cheap metal body to get rid of the resonance issues and it's all good.

Still sitting on the fence whether or not I should send it to Joly for a PE upgrade. Not so sure it needs it really.
Try it on snare! You'll be surprised! After reading a number of posts here and there about using a condenser on snare, and I figured I might as well try the cheapest condenser I had :P I actually really like it, and while I haven't had a great chance to use it on the right drummer, I plan on definitely keeping it in the running for snare on my next album. I've never tried it seriously on guitar cab, I'm going to have to try that!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 am

wow old post. if anyones looking for new ribbons ive been using a pair of Audio Technica AT4080 this week and they are pretty pretty nice. Normally in an MS pair and getting a pretty nice spread. not as much top end as you would think for a new ribbon.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 am

Hey,

I don't know about FatHead, or Cascade (but they look very coolio).

I did purchase a ShinyBox, and it is excellent. Similar to the RCA's I worked with years ago. And it comes very well-packed, btw.

GJ