Steve Albini Recorded All Wave Movement

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Steve Albini Recorded All Wave Movement

Post by jckinnick » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:16 pm

I came across this on a blog

"Along with producer Steve Albini, Kim Deal from the Breeders has been at the forefront of designing a forward-thinking, punk-ethos upholding concept pertaining to the recording of their (and hopefully more artists') music in the years to come: The All-Wave Recording Movement.

Their creed is loosely stated as "everything should be an analog sound recording of someone playing or singing, rather than using a computer to generate or digitally manipulate sounds separated from the dimension of time in which they were performed. In short, to record All Wave one must use no computers, no digital recording, no auto-tuning, or any other mainstays of contemporary production. A parallel drawn with the realist film movement . . . is not inappropriate." The 2008 Breeders album Mountain Battles was recorded using All-Wave philosophy, and Deal has even designed a pretty kickass logo (above) to shine as a beacon from the cases of those albums that would choose to adopt this philosophy as well.

The goal, Steve Albini writes, is to create a movement that is "at least as significant as the Ska revival, or perhaps the WNBA." Ooh, godspeed with that one."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Well, surely this will generate MEGA-CONTROVERSY.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 pm

I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:08 pm

HA, I'm always a sucker for a WNBA slam!
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm

yawn...

does this mean the poor should have to buy expensive instruments and rehearsal spaces and pay for studio time now in order to make music? very punk, thanks, midwest.

forward-thinking?

i'm just stoking the dialogue, aren't i? i'm sorry.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:50 pm

I'd like to take this moment to announce the launch of the All-Paper Card Movement.
This creed is loosely stated as "everything should be an analog card deck used to play or gamble, rather than using a computer to log on and blow through your car payment separated from the dimension of time in which your addiction started. In short, to gamble All Card one must use no computers, no internet, no online poker forums, or any other mainstays of contemporary gambling degeneracy.
Prog out with your cog out.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:55 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:very punk, thanks, midwest.
Hey, don't lump us all in, man.

All Wave should team up with Dogme 95 and make insufferably snooty soundtracks to insufferably snooty films.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:57 pm

superaction80 wrote:I'd like to take this moment to announce the launch of the All-Paper Card Movement.
LMAO!

CG

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:30 pm

It was very disturbing to see the far away look in Kim Deal's eyes as she tried to explain, rationally and coherently, what exactly it was about computer recording and processing that was so wicked or flawed or whatever it was that was so bad about it.

She did fasten onto that phrase, "dimension of time," with a fervor that supposedly explained everything. I got the impression that her real beef was with engineers who would do things behind her back, y'know, 'improving" stuff that she thought was fine... and that this real wave, real time, always-tape-stock-moving-past-a-head was the surest way to avoid these pitfalls. I kind of ended up feeling like a heretic at the Spanish Inquisition, maybe the whole thing was a deja vu moment from a previous life?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:51 pm

Well, if you want to get into "dimension of time," then can The Pixies come to my house every time I feel like listening to Surfer Rosa? I mean, where does it end? Can that stuff never be released on CD? I guess I really need to check out their official mantra and stuff before I start making judgments, but at face value, it seems kind of like flag-waving. That's cool and all, but I'm suspicious of the boundaries of that kind of thing.

Does the logo look like those old A/A/D, A/D/D, and D/D/D logos on the back of CDs? Isn't that kind of the same thing?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Aha. Just saw it. Sounds like flag-waving to me. Not manipulating time stuff is one thing, but swearing off hard-drives as storage medium has nothing to so with the changing of dimensions from performance any more than mixing after the fact. I'm curious to know if there was any splicing between takes, punches, or overdubs done after the initial performance.

Again, that's cool and all, but I'm a little unclear as to why there needs to be an organized movement about it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:05 pm

cgarges wrote: Does the logo look like those old A/A/D, A/D/D, and D/D/D logos on the back of CDs? Isn't that kind of the same thing?
Ha, the SPARS code! Awesome. Another marketing ploy...just like this is.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 pm

I guess the people on the flipside of that would be the "all .wav recording movement" :P

Bah-Dum, Bum!
(I figured someone would get there sooner or later. Might as well be me)

I always find it funny how some people will claim to swear off of modern technology in favor of the "old-school" way of doing things, when, in fact, in the "old days", most people were using the best, most modern technology they could get their hands on.

I love the way tape machines and live, unedited takes sound, but I'd feel a little hypocritical stating that technology is only "cool" up to, like, 1979 (or whatever arbitrary year people pick as the end of the "vintage" age).

I find flag waving very frustrating. Why does this shit have to be so damn partisan? Can?t we all just get along??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Steve Albini Recorded All Wave Movement

Post by leigh » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:08 pm

jckinnick wrote:...and Deal has even designed a pretty kickass logo (above) to shine as a beacon from the cases of those albums that would choose to adopt this philosophy as well.
For the record, that page says Deal commissioned the logo, not designed it herself.

Also for the record, Opera doesn't want to show any of the images on that site, so I can't see said logo.

Also, also for the record, this dogma sounds boring, like all dogma. No doubt, some groups can make some great records using this method. However, I would cringe to hear a crappy record from a group that was then backed up with any sort of justification along the lines of, "Well, we could have made the record better, but we're part of the All-Wave Movement." ... *gag*.

Leigh

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 pm

dwlb wrote:All Wave should team up with Dogme 95 and make insufferably snooty soundtracks to insufferably snooty films.
Ya beat me to it. Quick, don't call Lars Von Trier.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."