Logic 8 Users...!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

monkeyweasel
audio school graduate

Post by monkeyweasel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Montevideo wrote:
kojdogg wrote:currently using an apogee duet. i was using an echo audiofire12.
how do you like the duet?

I need a high i/o count and I'm using an HD-192 at this point but I was thinking about getting one of those for single or stereo track tracking. I'm not sure if those converters will make the difference.
im also using the duet and like it a lot. especially fun for tracking in unusual environments/conditions. if u have you have any need for that.

have occasionally had some problems with clicks and pops while tracking, but i suspect this was more to do with external hard disk and/or dodgy disk permissions

timbone
audio school graduate

Post by timbone » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:01 pm

metric halo uln-2. not one problem. this box is awesome!
How do it know?

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:08 pm

So, I was going to post this in a fresh thread in the near future, but I thought I'd stick it here cause it's somewhat relevant, as I am a Logic 8 user. Sorry if this is Hijacking.

The next chunk of money I land, I'm going to be upgrading my interface. My current I/O (orig. 828) has seen better days, and I want something that not only works better (i.e. correctly), but sounds better too. (I will eventually send the 828 to BLA to get it upgraded so I can use it as a second set of 8 ins when I need it, but have for now decided to just buy something new)

Here's the 2 things that seem like the best upgrade, in the $1000-$2000 range:

RME Multiface vs. Metric Halo 2882

-I don't need built in mic pre's (I run everything through outboard pre'sand a mixer)

-I don't care if it's mobile or not.

-I like the idea of the Multiface's pci DSP card to take up some processing slack. Does the Metric Halo DSP thing only help with their plugins, or does it actually do anything for the actual sound processing.

-I don't need built in plugins, or effects.

-All I really need is 8 of the best sounding analog ins and outs I can get (in my budget) AND that taxes my computer the least.

-Is there some other product I'm not thinking of that will do these things better?

If anybody has any suggestions or ideas about how these 2 devices compare, or anything else, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:53 pm

Apogee Ensemble.

After 6 years of PT + Digi001/002R, I switched to Logic late last year when 8 came out. In one evening I got rid of all things PT with new software to look at and a new interface to plug into. Best gear purchases I've made, ever.

Ensemble is out of this world good.

Sailor Ripley
audio school graduate

Post by Sailor Ripley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:28 am

Apogee Ensemble here too, and i love it!

Montevideo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Montevideo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:51 am

the Ensemble sounds temptiing but for some reason the firewire things makes me think twice about it.

I was thinking about getting an RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card and finding some good external A/Ds as I go. the card gives you 3 sets of ADAT i/o so I can just try to score up to 3 8 channel A/Ds for a total of 24 channels/analog ins and outs. sounds like it'll work, right?

Sailor Ripley
audio school graduate

Post by Sailor Ripley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 am

Montevideo wrote:the Ensemble sounds temptiing but for some reason the firewire things makes me think twice about it.
the most recent firmware updates sorted out the firewire issues. it was a major pain before that! all good now though.

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:03 pm

DrummerMan wrote:So, I was going to post this in a fresh thread in the near future, but I thought I'd stick it here cause it's somewhat relevant, as I am a Logic 8 user. Sorry if this is Hijacking.

The next chunk of money I land, I'm going to be upgrading my interface. My current I/O (orig. 828) has seen better days, and I want something that not only works better (i.e. correctly), but sounds better too. (I will eventually send the 828 to BLA to get it upgraded so I can use it as a second set of 8 ins when I need it, but have for now decided to just buy something new)

Here's the 2 things that seem like the best upgrade, in the $1000-$2000 range:

RME Multiface vs. Metric Halo 2882

-I don't need built in mic pre's (I run everything through outboard pre'sand a mixer)

-I don't care if it's mobile or not.

-I like the idea of the Multiface's pci DSP card to take up some processing slack. Does the Metric Halo DSP thing only help with their plugins, or does it actually do anything for the actual sound processing.

-I don't need built in plugins, or effects.

-All I really need is 8 of the best sounding analog ins and outs I can get (in my budget) AND that taxes my computer the least.

-Is there some other product I'm not thinking of that will do these things better?

If anybody has any suggestions or ideas about how these 2 devices compare, or anything else, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
I have and love the Metric Halo 2882 +DSP with the new 2d upgrade.
The pres are not as good as the 2 channel ULN-2 from Metric Halo, but are really good for rock and roll, just not as great for super quiet recordings.

If you are running external pres and the 2882 in line mode, it should work great for you. The A/D conversion is excellent. Rivaling, and arguably exceeding that of comparable Apogees or RME's. I have not done a shootout personally. So I do not claim to be the last word on this.

The processing power is only for the plugs in the cards console mixer, not your DAW unfortunately. But the flexibility is really great. The plug ins are handy and much easier to use with the new software.

You can do things like process the signal on the way in or out. Do mults of an incoming or outgoing signal and process them differently. And there are some cool pre emulations built into the new software.

I'm a fan. I would recommend you get a firewire PCI card for the 2882 though. It can eat up a lot of bandwidth if you are running multiple ins and outs.

The only other soundcard I've used recently was an Apogee mini-me running digitally direct to my MacBook Pro. It was borrowed, and as soon as I can afford it, I am buying one for myself.

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:06 am

Here are some tutorial movies showing off the new Metric Halo software's functionality.

A little dry like all tutorials, but very informative if you were wondering about the cards.

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/TutorialMovies.html

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:39 am

MOTU 828 mkII and also occasionally a Novation X-Station 25. No issues with either.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 am

Can anybody reccomend an after market instructional book for Logic Pro?

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:12 pm

LynxTWO B. No issues at all.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:19 pm

i bought some books for LP7. When I got LP8 none of the non-trivial books seemed to be out yet. In general though so far I'll recommend the tutorial videos from MacProVideo.com over any of the books I've had.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Montevideo wrote:the Ensemble sounds temptiing but for some reason the firewire things makes me think twice about it.

I was thinking about getting an RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card and finding some good external A/Ds as I go. the card gives you 3 sets of ADAT i/o so I can just try to score up to 3 8 channel A/Ds for a total of 24 channels/analog ins and outs. sounds like it'll work, right?
That's my setup, and it has been stable for years. I currently have Swissonic, Fontier Design and a just added MOTU 8-pre as converters. Works great with Logic.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:14 pm

For some good free video tutorials check out sflogicninja at youtube.