senneheiers e609 mic - i cant find a thing i like it for....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

senneheiers e609 mic - i cant find a thing i like it for....

Post by C_R_J » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:49 pm

so i bought one of these on a whim, and i must say that i simply cannot find something to record with it that i like how it comes out sounding. i understand this is personal taste and all, but every time ive tried to use it, even people that dont know anything about recording say "that sounds like shit". i tried it on a couple guitars, on a bass, snare drum, vocals. nothing. is there something these mics are perfect for that you guys have found? the only thing that i think it sounds remotely ok on is bottom of a snare, and i really only did that to see if i could find something this mic sounded good to me on.

sorry. kinda ranting. bear with me...
time is money and im wasting both...

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:16 pm

My understanding is that these were pretty much designed to hang by the cable, through your guitar amps handle, and sit right on the grill in live situations (even though I doubt that's what sennheiser's literature would say). It seemed like the antidote to doing the same with a 57 except this way, the mic element's actually facing the speaker, instead of at a 90 degree angle.

Granted, my understanding is based completely on conjecture, so I don't know for sure, but it would seem that if this is the case, it might be the type of mic that has an eq curve specifically designed to help put guitar amps in a good place for a FOH mix. ANd we all know that what works for the stage and what works for the studio are often times very different.

Can anyone back me up on my supposition about it's purposes?

I've never actually seen one used in a studio, so I don't know what it might be good for there, but it seems to do fine in live settings.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

i

Post by C_R_J » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:18 pm

i just happen to be a sound guy at a venue 2. i will try it out later. maybe this is the key ive been looking for...

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:37 pm

Yep, great rejection live... and a problem solver in some situations. Now that HEIL makes the pr-40 I would prefer that for a side address dynamic mic.

The 609s were relegated to bottom snare at the last place I worked. They're alright on guitars, but all the metal/hardcore/rock bands were coming through with dual rectifiers ala smiley-face EQ. That scooped mid guitar tone didn't work with the 609s at all. However, I've seen them draped over a Fender Super with great results.
Everything louder than everything else.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Drummerman,

in both form and function I think you are completely right. I can't find anything to "record" with it. It has a huge, bright presence bump that I can only imagine is intended to counteract the proximity effect of placing them directly on guitar cab grilles in live situations.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:18 pm

I've used them on guitar amps, bass amps, and drums where they worked well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:33 pm

I was surprised when I first tested mine at how colored the sound was.
Its definitely meant to be hung right on the cabinet.

I think it might work in some situations where the guitarist is looking for a fairly bright tone, especially when combined with another mic. I'm thinking of the All album, "Pummel" if anybody knows it. Maybe combined with a SM7b or RE20 to pick up more low end.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Forgot to mention, I also had some good luck with it on bass cabinet on a song where the bass player played almost entirely in the upper register.

For a while it really pissed me off whenever he would play a lot of high notes because it just got in the way of the guitar. With the 609 on bass (and an oktava mk219 on guitar) everything seemed to fit together.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

i

Post by C_R_J » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:13 am

i am glad that i am not the only one who shares the sentiment that this mic isnt a very good "all around" mic...

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:37 am

It is certainly NOT a good all-around mic. It is designed for a specific purpose. Ever try to sing through one? Not good.

Draped over a guitar amp for live sound? It sounds really good.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

i

Post by C_R_J » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:47 am

i am gonna try it out live tomorrow. i hope it works. ;)

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:06 am

0-it-hz wrote: Now that HEIL makes the pr-40 I would prefer that for a side address dynamic mic.
The PR40 is NOT a side address mic- it's an end address mic. When you buy one new, it's pretty hilarious how many stickers the company puts on the mic to warn new owners of that. I'm sure their tech support people are pretty sick of the question.

The MD421 is an end address mic too.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:11 am

As for the e609, I actually own the e906 (not a mistype- a 906).

There's an EQ switch that does dark, flat and bright. The bright setting turns the mic into a 609 (presence boost- somewhat like a SM57). The dark setting turns it into the 409 (the original Sennheiser capsule design that the 609/906 is based on, which gets raves around here). The flat setting is what most people like and use for the 906. I, for one, love the 906 on the guitar cab.

More info (including spec sheet) on the e906 here: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pr ... sid=500202

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 am

I heard some audio clips that someone recorded comparing the 609, 609 Silver, 906 (in bright and flat mode), and a 409. I have regular access to a 409 and it's a really fantastic mic, but the clips that I heard made the 906 sound really interesting. Im flat mode, t was definitely the closest of the bunch to the original 409. I've been meaning to check those out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:06 am

HA! Shows you what I know... :P
Everything louder than everything else.