Nomad plug-in's - opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Oldnsaxy
audio school graduate

Nomad plug-in's - opinions?

Post by Oldnsaxy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:18 am

I searched the forum for opinions on the Nomad plug-in's and found them to be favorable. BUT these reviews were 2 years ago and software has gotten better.

How do people feel these stand up to UAD, Waves and the others?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:26 am

I have the Vintage Studio bundle, and I reach for the limiters and compressors in it all of the time.

I use Digital Performer, and I really like the Masterworks EQ that comes with it. However, aside from that EQ most tracks that I record get compression and or limiting on them, and that's either the Waves Rencomp or some of the Blue Tubes stuff from Nomad Factory. I really like the sound of the Nomad stuff, and although I can't compare to UAD (which I hear are amazing), I can say that almost 2 yrs later I am still happy with the Vintage Studio bundle.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Nomad plug-in's - opinions?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Oldnsaxy wrote:I searched the forum for opinions on the Nomad plug-in's and found them to be favorable. BUT these reviews were 2 years ago and software has gotten better.

How do people feel these stand up to UAD, Waves and the others?
Hi,

I also have the Vintage Studio Bundle, and the Blue Tubes, as well as the "Motown" EQs and filters.

They are lovely. I still use them very often, for all sorts of stuff. They have their own sound, so it helps to know what you are going for somewhat, and if these get you there, then they are a great addition to your plugin list.

They don't emulate hardware the same as the other brands... and that is useful, as they impart their own character into the sound. they are a bit more aggressive than other EQs, and have the great feature of being able to add "tube" warmth right on the plugin. In other words they ROCK.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.