Tape residue problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Tape residue problem

Post by hugheju » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 pm

I am currently borrowing a Tascam 38 1/2" reel to reel 8 track for my band's recording project. We have been using RMG Studio Master 900 tape. For some reason there is a high level of tape residue build-up on all three tape heads, requiring constant cleaning. Is this normal or could it be a problem with the tape or the machine?
Record it before you forget it. You can always record it better later.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Sounds like you have a dirty transport.

This tape is exceptionally well manufactured. I've been running the 468, 911 and 900 formulations on a Studer for 2 years and it's shown no shed issues.

What you have going sounds like 'glue' (possibly from edits) or an already dirty transport.

Oxide on ANY metal component, if not cleaned off, begets and attracts and collects and scrapes off, more oxide from the tape.

For the really fussy stuff that's hard to get off, use plain Fantastik on a Q-tip, paper towel or Tex-wipe to get off.

btw, one of the ignored or forgotten areas to clean are the lifters of the tape machine. Be sure yours are clean as well.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:37 pm

jeff, you have been lucky then... I have had some really really REALLY shitty reels of RMGi... on two VERY clean Studers... like "80's 456 diaper-smear-on-the-heads" type of shedding... i have also had some reels that were totally cool. They had some really bad batches early on, sounds like his might be from one of those batches.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:38 pm

A lot of people are having issues with shed with RMG. They will say it's due to improper slitting of Quantegy resulting in edge wear. They also say they have had issues with their raw materials resulting in about 2% of their tape having shed.
I have had a lot of customers who have had this problem.
Try ATR tape.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Sounds like sticky tape. You can damage the tape machine using sticky tape. If I were you, I wouldn't try to use it anymore.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:33 pm

i avoid sticky tape at all costs, but, what exactly is the damage it can cause to a tape machine? i just know it can be a pain in the arse....

john

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm

I always thought it could damage the heads if you couldn't get it all off, or at least have to be cleaned using a magnifying glass. It could also potentially harm the motors or cause the tension to need re-adjustment from stresses caused by sticking and slowing the tape down. I could be wrong though. My old MCI did have to have the transport realigned after getting gunked up once. I think my tech at the time said something about the stress on the transport components.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:51 pm

hmmm... my studers seem to be fine. i think the motors on the A80 are the same as for the trams in z?rich, tho...

i have always noticed it right away, and never had any serious messes.

john

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:38 pm

I don't theink the RMGI boys have it together quite yet. I can somewhat buy they "if you ran Ampex and there are grooves from the slightly narrower tape" think that they are trying to pitch. I did experience some tapes that didn't shed much on my 1/4" but did at mastering. BUT, the last 2 batches I got from RMGI have been a ginormous pain in my ass. I think I'm done with their tape.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:28 pm

Sticky tape is old tape. Don't think any of the RMG will be old enough to get sticky already.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 pm

dsw wrote:Sticky tape is old tape. Don't think any of the RMG will be old enough to get sticky already.
+1

and

Yup.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:08 pm

But just today I had another customer with RMG that had shedding problems.

*wags finger at RMG*

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:09 am

sticky tape is shitty tape.

doesn't matter how old it is, RMG has shitty sticky shed residue.

john

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 am

toaster3000 wrote:sticky tape is shitty tape.

doesn't matter how old it is, RMG has shitty sticky shed residue.

john
Quantegy is in the process of building a new plant that will be a smaller operation, but they are not up and running yet. I did get a call recently from their rep.

As for RMGI, perhaps their problem would be remedied by reducing their product line to a single formulation. They make small batches of 468, 911 and 900 and just cycle around those three.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:55 am

i hope quantegy is good.... i really hope they can pull it together. i used to really like the emtec/basf formulations, but i don't understand where RMG is going wrong with all this shedding... same formulas, same plant, but somehow all these issues i never saw with 'real' 900 or 911...

ATR is great, but too expensive for most clients.

john