So, about the RNC...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

So, about the RNC...

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:13 am

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.HTM

who here is still using it and for what applications?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:40 am

I just can't believe the the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor occurs so late in the evening. You'd think the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor would try to snare more east coast viewers by broadcasting the major speeches of the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor a little earlier in the prime-time slots maybe? Anyway, the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor has been interesting this week.

skiltrip
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: So, about the RNC...

Post by skiltrip » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:46 am

RefD wrote:http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.HTM

who here is still using it and for what applications?
I have my eyes on an RNC too. (no, not those GOP blowhards).
I don't know if it's worth it. I have a lot of in the box comps, like Massey CT4, T-Racks Tube Comp, Sonalksis, stock Digi comp, and a couple others i think.

There's just something about adding an outboard comp though for my vocal chain that appeals to me.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 am

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am

I use an RNC for tracking vocals all the time. It's very clean and uncolored in Super Nice Mode which is the main way I use it. I will apply more colored sounding opto or tube style compression at mix if necessary, but the RNC keeps everything in check when tracking without causing many artifacts. I've also used it to compress guitar tracks that need to sit in the mix without making them lose their punch. I use normal(non-super nice) mode for these tasks. It's a real clean compressor, but can get nasty if pushed although I'm not fond of it in that respect. I much prefer my old dbx or Valley compressors for smashing stuff.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 am

I still use one when I want something sorta fast for bass tracks and the 1176's are being used for something else. Or kick once in a while...I don't mind it on a kick. Or banjo. Peaky little bastards, those can be.

I don't much like what it does to the high end, particularly when NOT using "super nice" mode. It can be good for light, unobtrusive control but the highs get rolled off too much for my taste. I ain't a big vocal compression guy, but this wouldn't be my first choice for that application. And I've never thought it did a "super squash" kind of thing as nice as a Gain Brain, or an old dbx unit. Maybe that's just me...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:02 am

I'm using one all the time for live Vox.....sounds great! I liked it so well, I bought a second one to use on a pair of room mics for live recording....I'll let you know how that works after tonight!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 am

i've only ever used it in "super nice" mode on a stereo group of either percussion or keyboards to make things a bit more together.

i definitely wouldn't try to smash anything with it, just as a sort of "smoother".

never used it in normal mode.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:46 am

I can't really speak with authority because I have had to rely on my Waves C1, but I have wanted a rack space compressor and read, and held many discussions on this board. It seems like the consensus is:

RNC pretty awesome, pretty useful, pretty affordable
DBX 160 really awesome, really useful, really affordable

Two different tools, never hurts to have choices, but for folks like us who are trying to get compression happening outside of computer world I hear that DBX is a better starting point.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:58 am

I have both the RNC and the DBX 160A & am very happy with both....keep in mind, if you are on a budget (like anyone who records is ever on a budget!) the FMR RNC is a stereo unit for under $200.00 new. The DBX 160A.X or T, is mono, so you will have to buy two to use on the two buss. The DBX 160 usually runs $200 to $300 used & about $400 new... X 2 = $$
My DBX 160A works so well for bass guitar that it is doing permentnt duty there...and as I stated earlier....I use the RNC for live vox & liked it so well in that application that I bought another one. I think you are going to be happy no matter which one you choose.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Ah, just the prescription I need to be a happy and unfearful consumer. I was balking at laying down the dough for one of the two, to get some real world compression going on and they I went "Hey, I'm looking at $100-$300 max for one of the two units. I have to spend quite a bit more than that to knock any of the mics of my to get list."

I'm convinced it will be better to compress vox going in around 2:1 and bass 3.5:1 and then not need to use so much digital compression. It also will be fun to do sends, just slightly more labor intensive as I plan to have an 'effected' track recorded back into the computer and then mute the orig in case I ruin something.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 pm

get ready for the fun world of time-slurring on the effected track if you want to bring it back in (rather than just run it on mixdown).

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:24 pm

I've never really been thrilled by the RNC, but drumsound keeps a couple or few in his rack and his stuff sounds good, so there ya go.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:48 pm

sparky wrote:get ready for the fun world of time-slurring on the effected track if you want to bring it back in (rather than just run it on mixdown).
How much is the delay? Can't you just slide it back into place?

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:12 pm

losthighway wrote:
sparky wrote:get ready for the fun world of time-slurring on the effected track if you want to bring it back in (rather than just run it on mixdown).
How much is the delay? Can't you just slide it back into place?
Depends on your A/D conversion. However, you should be able to move it where it needs to be.