Trident S20 mod

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Trident S20 mod

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 am

Do you guys know of any people who have modded their S20 preamps? love the way mine sounds, but I'm just curious I guess. I DO have an issue that maybe someone can help me out with.

Every time that I record drums or guitars with it, it seems that the unit begins to clip before I reach 0. You can see a picture of what I mean here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA

The brightest white light represents 0, and you can move further to saturate the channels, however it seems that I get a grainy clipping sound when I am at -2 or so from zero. Is this just gain staging, or is the unit designed to sound like this? perhaps I need to have it calibrated?

Thanks!
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:15 am

These units come calibrated with a hot +4 output. Not right for all pieces of gear in a chain. That's true. If you can measure the voltage out the back, re-calibrating should be a snap.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 am

is the grainy clipping sound coming from the preamp or from clipping your converters? I'd imagine that you'd be clipping your converters before clipping that preamp.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:43 am

subatomic pieces wrote:is the grainy clipping sound coming from the preamp or from clipping your converters? I'd imagine that you'd be clipping your converters before clipping that preamp.
I would too, but I had a session yesterday and both the Trident and a Summit Audio preamp were going into a presonus interface. It's just weird. I'd think the unit would only start clipping or saturating past 0 or AT 0...

I've heard of people changing the opamps on this unit along with some other stuff. Anyone knows if this is do-able/worth it?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:36 am

metanoiastudios wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:is the grainy clipping sound coming from the preamp or from clipping your converters? I'd imagine that you'd be clipping your converters before clipping that preamp.
I would too, but I had a session yesterday and both the Trident and a Summit Audio preamp were going into a presonus interface. It's just weird. I'd think the unit would only start clipping or saturating past 0 or AT 0...

I've heard of people changing the opamps on this unit along with some other stuff. Anyone knows if this is do-able/worth it?
It is very likely the output is clean from the S20. It is also very likely it is the Presonus that is clipping input-wise because the signal coming in is a very clean +4.

Also, are you running balanced cable out of the S20 into a balanced input to the Presonus piece-O?

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:22 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
metanoiastudios wrote:

It is very likely the output is clean from the S20. It is also very likely it is the Presonus that is clipping input-wise because the signal coming in is a very clean +4.

Also, are you running balanced cable out of the S20 into a balanced input to the Presonus piece-O?
Yep, sure am. Feel free to suggest another interface, but so far I can turn my POS on, plug a mic, and hit record. It's all I need 8). Preamps may not be the best, but there are worst options out there.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 am

metanoiastudios wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
metanoiastudios wrote:

Yep, sure am. Feel free to suggest another interface, but so far I can turn my POS on, plug a mic, and hit record. It's all I need 8). Preamps may not be the best, but there are worst options out there.
Are you sure you're running into the 'line input' on the Presonus? Sounds like you might be running a line level signal into the mic pre of the Presonus.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:12 am

metanoiastudios wrote:I would too, but I had a session yesterday and both the Trident and a Summit Audio preamp were going into a presonus interface. It's just weird. I'd think the unit would only start clipping or saturating past 0 or AT 0...
so, the meters in your DAW were registering a level below 0dbFS and you were still hearing clipping?

are you looking at the meters on the pre or the meters on the interface/DAW?

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:23 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
metanoiastudios wrote:I would too, but I had a session yesterday and both the Trident and a Summit Audio preamp were going into a presonus interface. It's just weird. I'd think the unit would only start clipping or saturating past 0 or AT 0...
so, the meters in your DAW were registering a level below 0dbFS and you were still hearing clipping?

are you looking at the meters on the pre or the meters on the interface/DAW?
Both. The preamp level from the interface is barely open. Audio still comes in even with the preamp all the way down. I like to pretend that this bypasses the Presonus preamps :lol:
subatomic pieces wrote:Are you sure you're running into the 'line input' on the Presonus? Sounds like you might be running a line level signal into the mic pre of the Presonus.
I may be confused here. XLR out from the S20 into XLR in from the FireStudio. Isn't this balanced-to-balanced? The outputs on the FireStudio are line outs, but I'm not doing anything with those.

I do wonder if it may be an issue of A/D conversion, as well as calibration from the Trident...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:33 am

exactly which Presonus interface do you have?

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:50 am

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:04 pm

I don't know if there is software related to the Presonus nor do I know if there is a mic/line switch found on almost every recording ever made, but I am now deeply suspecting you are running a line level signal into a preamp.

Yikes. That would definitely distort.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:00 pm

According to the manual you have to use the 1/4" connectors to access the line level inputs. Use an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable and you should be fine. Don't use inputs 1 or 2, they're for mic or instrument level only.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 pm

some really loud signals, and their micro-transients, can clip the the opamps on the input stage in lower-end transformerless designs.

it sucks, you just have to pad it, even though the tone changes for the worse. still beats clipping.

FYI, the only time i have encountered this problem was during recording LOUD guitar amps (AC-30 on full-tilt, etc).

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 am

Just in case if you want to "mod" the S-20, install a socket for the SSM2017 mic pre chip. Then you can play with the improved replacements, the SSM 2019 from Analog Devices, the BurrBrown INA217 and the that 1510. The BB and AD parts you can order from Digi-key, the that part you can get from Mouser. There is a 5532 output driver opamp towards the rear, a LM6172 works great, also try a National LME49720. There is a 5532 surface mount chip on the back of the pcb. It's more tricky, but the National part works great there and if you want the DAV BG1 sound, use a AD OP-275.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades