Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:25 am

I've had one of there neo 4x10's I liked it a whole lot more than the swr goliath I had, which I was really let down by. Their guitar cabs are also totally awesome. I wish avatar would make an 8x10 bass cab.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

wow. this is like the most all-around positive review in tomb history. i hope you guys dont all work for avatar. though at $400 for a new 4x10 neo i dont' think they could afford astroturfing.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:49 pm

I was looking to get a 2x10 cab and emailed the Avatar people. They were really nice and responded quickly. I ended up going the powered sub route (this was for an extension bass cabinet for my Leslie) but it's nice to know that Avatar is held is such high regard. Some of those guitar cabs look sweet!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:15 am

My bass player has a 4x10 avatar. He's a tone freak and realy into hi end gear.
He loves it and I love to record it! It's a killer bass cab.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:36 pm

I love the poo out of my 2x12 guitar cab. Exact same specs as an orange only slightly thinner wood. Sounds and looks great. And its cheap. Do it.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Sat May 02, 2009 5:06 pm

I just got an Avatar NEO212B bass cab today, mostly due to positive reviews here and everywhere else.

I ordered it on Monday, and I wasn't expecting to get it until next week, but here it is, custom tolex and everything. Looks great, and it's 13 lbs. lighter than my current cab.

I plugged my Ashdown ABM500 into it and futzed for a few minutes here in the apartment. So far so good - can't wait to really crank it up.

I have a gig tonight, so I'll report back as to how it works out in the real world.

[<|>]

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat May 02, 2009 8:34 pm

My all time favorite bass sound was a fella that was running a 2x12 and a 2x10. It was a strange set up. The 2x10 was a regular SWR I think. The 2x12 was actually a custom job made at Meyer sound. apparently the fella worked in their shipping dept or somthing and they just banged one together for him for kicks. That 2x12 was the equal of any 15".
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 pm

kdarr wrote:I just got an Avatar NEO212B bass cab today, mostly due to positive reviews here and everywhere else...

...I have a gig tonight, so I'll report back as to how it works out in the real world.
Okay, so it sounded superfantastic. I keep the tweeter at maybe 10%, just to open the top up a tiny bit. The 12s really are like the best of both worlds - super thick on the bottom, but without the sluggishness that a 15 can sometimes exhibit.

Pretty hard to believe that the cab was only 500 bucks AFTER shipping. A really incredible deal for the quality. I am officially a believer in Avatar.

[<|>]

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 03, 2009 3:59 pm

I have been onto twelves for bass for years. More because of the mids that come out of 15's being too much, with twelves that croaky mid is enough higher to beout of the way. and the bass is just about as good. Especially when you compare an 8ohm 2x12 to an 8 ohm 15. They will weigh about the same, but the 12's will be louder. 10's are cool too, but they only seem to work as 4x10's. Whenever I have tried to do that 2x10 thingthey always farted out too easy.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."