Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:15 pm

So, since my cab was destroyed by the aforementioned basement flooding, i need to get a new one.

any experience with avatar bass cabs? i'm thinking about the 4x10. sounds like a lot of cab for the dollar, giggably light but giggably loud.

i know i could theoretically post about this on talkbass or something but i'm interested in the opinions of people who like...don't play a active-pickuped strangewood six string into like a 9U live rack. i don't really care about jaco pastorius too much honestly.

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm

I can't comment on the bass cabs, but I will say that I love their guitar cabs. I have three of them that spend part of their time at the studio, and part of their time on the road. They sound great and have held up well on the road.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:41 pm

I use their 2x10 cab with a '68 Fender Bassman head and a MIM Jazzbass. Plenty loud enough for practicing with anything but a ridiculously loud band. Sounds incredible mic'ed up on stage, too.

I've been thrilled to death with the sound of mine.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm also looking at getting an Avatar 2x10 bass cab.

I have a 2x12 guitar cab and a couple of my friends also have avatar cabs and I will never buy any other brand guitar cab.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:22 pm

I've used an Avatar 1x15 for about 8 years. One of the best bangs-for-the-buck you can get. They're very well built, and they use good drivers, so how can you lose?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:33 pm

mattwhritenour wrote:I'm also looking at getting an Avatar 2x10 bass cab.
you won't regret it.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Re: Avatar Bass Cabs?

Post by thunderboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Oddly, I have yet to hear an Avatar cab, so I can't comment on them. My personal favorite these days is Bergantino. Super tight, deep bass in a fairly small package. Also, if you like them really small, Check out Harry Kolb. Tiny single 12" cab that sounds fantastic, IMO.

That said, I found this comment both amusing and befuddling:
sparky wrote: i'm interested in the opinions of people who like...don't play a active-pickuped strangewood six string into like a 9U live rack. i don't really care about jaco pastorius too much honestly.
Are you suggesting that Jaco was a bass whore? Shame on you!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:13 pm

no, jaco himself is cool, and what little of his music i've heard i'm like, "yeah, thats some pretty cool bass playing." its the people who want to talk about jaco all the time. "well, jaco played with twin 18" cabs on either side of.."

Its the same problem i have with john bonham. i love john bonham, but i've got no love for the k's of people who want to bonhamify every drum part everywhere (who are generally inversely correlated with people who might have a reasonable chance of succeeding in this fool's errand). i think some people who play instruments less obviously ego-rewarding (like even people's moms will be like "hendrix. righteous." but i mean, "who's her favorite bassist?" is a famous "Infrequently Asked Questions" joke.) see somebody who takes a non-lead instrument and makes it the center of attention and then they want to ape that all the time and be like, "haha now i can get as many panties thrown at me as the singer!! RAGE! Check it out this bass has 13 strings how can the ladies resist me!" This is also related to "zany bass player syndrome" wherein in an average crappy band the bass player is the most likely to wear a ridiculous hat or similar on stage. Its like dude, suck it up. Learn to play lead guitar if thats what you want to do.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Nothing but the truth!

jt
- Discs of Tron

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:20 pm

which reminds me i read this thing on like...maybe a david eden message board about how ceramic mags "wear out" in some pretty short amount of time, like 10yrs? But how neo's wear out in way less. Like two years or something with reasonable playing time assumptions. Is this BS? I mean I've played plenty of old ass ampeg 8x10s and sunns and bassmans and what not and I don't think they'd all been re-drivered. Sounded ok to me.

Ahhh here it is. thanks firefox awesomebar:
2. Neo doesn't last as long as ceramic. According to available research, the average life expectancy for a neo driver used with regularity (4-10 times a week, depending on length of use each time), will wear out in 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years. Compare this to a ceramic which would last 8-10 years under the same conditions. David believes that our neo design should last 6-8 years... still not as good as ceramic, but a whole lot better than other neos."
http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/t ... C_ID=11399

This dude also works for David Eden. He's not like some crazy diyaudio.com nut talking about how he filled his car's tires with sand and now the bass from his shower radio is much 'faster'.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:06 pm

sparky wrote:no, jaco himself is cool, and what little of his music i've heard i'm like, "yeah, thats some pretty cool bass playing." its the people who want to talk about jaco all the time. "well, jaco played with twin 18" cabs on either side of.."

Its the same problem i have with john bonham. i love john bonham, but i've got no love for the k's of people who want to bonhamify every drum part everywhere (who are generally inversely correlated with people who might have a reasonable chance of succeeding in this fool's errand). i think some people who play instruments less obviously ego-rewarding (like even people's moms will be like "hendrix. righteous." but i mean, "who's her favorite bassist?" is a famous "Infrequently Asked Questions" joke.) see somebody who takes a non-lead instrument and makes it the center of attention and then they want to ape that all the time and be like, "haha now i can get as many panties thrown at me as the singer!! RAGE! Check it out this bass has 13 strings how can the ladies resist me!" This is also related to "zany bass player syndrome" wherein in an average crappy band the bass player is the most likely to wear a ridiculous hat or similar on stage. Its like dude, suck it up. Learn to play lead guitar if thats what you want to do.
This is the exact problem we had with the bassist in a band I was in up until recently.

To stay on topic, for awhile he used a pretty great Avatar cab. Can't remember the speaker setup ( 4 by 10?) but it sounded great and help up real well.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30 pm

sparky wrote:He's not like some crazy diyaudio.com nut talking about how he filled his car's tires with sand and now the bass from his shower radio is much 'faster'.
So, do you mean completely filled, like no innertube, or what? And what kind of sand? Can't wait to try this mod!

jt
- Discs of Tron

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:02 pm

So, do you mean completely filled, like no innertube, or what? And what kind of sand? Can't wait to try this mod!
It really depends on the magnetic declination at your latitude (obvi). I can sell you a unicorn hair calibration mat for six million dollars though.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 am

I've been playing with a avatar mini-cube 12 cabinet (not made anymore last time I checked) that I like a lot. Most of the time I'm pairing it with a homemade 15" cab, powered by an ampeg tube preamp and stewart audio power amp. The avatar is great sounding, and can take a lot of power.

...and I've got a lead on some unicorn hair from china on the cheap if you're interested.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:39 am

I don't have one of their bass cabs but I have an Avatar 4x12 and it sounds amazing. I used to have a Marshall 4x12 and the Avatar blew it away. The Marshall sounded like it had a blanket over it compared to the Avatar.