rogercollege
ass engineer

Pre Amp Comparison

Post by rogercollege » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Avalon AD2022 or
Vintech 1272 or
Vintech 273 or
Universal Audio 2-610S Silverface

What do you guys like and why? I'm recording a lot of acoustic based indie band type music. Drums. Electric guitar. Hushed vocals.
I have OK mics. Blue Bottleneck, 414, Rode, CAD

Looking for a versatile quality dual preamp

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46 pm

I wonder how you came to those specific conclusions. I find it interesting that you don't have api or any 500 series stuff listed there.

Your mics are plenty fine, btw, as long as you use them well.

I do appreciate you trying to find a "ringer" preamp, as I find them to make every mic, regardless of price, a more useful implement. There are many ways you could go with this, and there's no one right way. I would really grab a good (API or Averill - not a cheap one, as the power supply may be lacking) 500 chassis, and a pair of API's and start there. You can then explore the many options out there.

Best wishes finding the right tools for the job.
-H

PS - don't forget to invest in good dynamic mics. They are truly a great complement to the mics you have listed.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:19 am

I don't think that the choices you mention are all that "versatile".

I agree that starting with some API pre amps would be a good place to start.

The Neve Portico is an incredibly versatile piece for the kind of music that you're doing.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:45 am

Sytek MPX-4Aii with Burr-Brown option on two of the channels. Why? For under $1K new, or in my case, $600 used, you can have four channels of solid clean preamps that will not let you down. Great for most material, drums, etc. From there I would invest in some API or 500 series somethings, a Neve clone, or possibly a dual rack of PM1000 for that transformer character.

I'm not in a position to put out money for API or Neve, however at some point I will be and I plan on it. I do own the Sytek and a single channel of PM1000, plus other preamps in the cleaner category (Burr-Brown Presonus MP20, Black Lion preamps on my 828mk2, Apogee Duet preamps). I feel like for what I've been doing the past few years this covers most bases rather nicely.

Also, for under $200, the Symetrix SX202 is a steller two channel preamp from the 1980s/early 1990s. I owned one and only sold it because I felt that it was redundant with the Sytek (yes it sounded that good). I used the cash to pay for part of my PM1000.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:12 am

For the price range you're looking in, it would be hard to beat a great river or john hardy dual channel unit. I also really like the Speck units.

If you're just looking at a pair of channels, I wouldn't look at a 500 rack, unless you were expecting to expand in the near future.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:42 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Sytek MPX-4Aii with Burr-Brown option on two of the channels. Why? For under $1K new, or in my case, $600 used, you can have four channels of solid clean preamps that will not let you down. Great for most material, drums, etc. From there I would invest in some API or 500 series somethings, a Neve clone, or possibly a dual rack of PM1000 for that transformer character.

I'm not in a position to put out money for API or Neve, however at some point I will be and I plan on it. I do own the Sytek and a single channel of PM1000, plus other preamps in the cleaner category (Burr-Brown Presonus MP20, Black Lion preamps on my 828mk2, Apogee Duet preamps). I feel like for what I've been doing the past few years this covers most bases rather nicely.

Also, for under $200, the Symetrix SX202 is a steller two channel preamp from the 1980s/early 1990s. I owned one and only sold it because I felt that it was redundant with the Sytek (yes it sounded that good). I used the cash to pay for part of my PM1000.

Jeff
+1. I recorded the last record I did on only a Sytek and a pair of PM1000 without EQ. www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic if you want to check it out in all its ground up fidelity.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:22 pm

THAT1512

you can make it yourself, it is simple.

....but, I wouldn't use the new UA one, if I had to choose from those. All the knobs and sexy looking thingfishes from the 40 year old gear and none of the sonic qualities that they imply.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York