What are all the Adat/SPDIF options for a Digi002?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theenvycorps
ass engineer

What are all the Adat/SPDIF options for a Digi002?

Post by theenvycorps » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:32 pm

I know this topic has been covered quite a bit on this forum, after doing a pretty lengthy search I'm still unsure if the unit I want is even out there.

Ideally, I just want 8 channels of A/D and 2 of D/A at 24/48 to connect to my Digi002. I don't want any included preamps (unless they can be bypassed). Does such a unit exist, or perhaps separate A/D and D/A boxes? Ideally less than $1000.

Thus far it looks like a Rosetta 800 is the closest I could come, but it goes over budget. To stay under I'd be willing to go with a 2 channel solution, the Mini me looks like a fairly good deal in this regard. I'm not really interested in the BLA mod because I would rather have the extra channels in a pinch.

What's out there? I hear other names like Lucid and Lynx and am wondering if possibly an older unit could fit my needs.

Lastly, would there be any merit to getting something like a fireface? Unless I'm totally confused and that wouldn't work.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:44 pm

you can do up to 8 tracks via the ADAT by hooking up an external converter (like the Apogee), but only at 24/48 or less. If you want to use higher sample rates, I believe it cuts the number of possible simultaneous tracks in half.

SPDIF allows you 2 inputs via an external converter at up to 24/96, IIRC.

Between the built in pres, the 4 line inputs, ADAT and SPDIF, you can have up to 18 tracks going in or out simultaneously at 24/48 or lower.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

theenvycorps
ass engineer

Post by theenvycorps » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Recycled. I've familiarized myself with how I can expand the Digi, now I'm looking for opinions on what converter might fit my needs. I don't record over 48k, and can't via ADAT anyhow, so paying extra for a unit that goes up to 96 (which are most I've found) seems wasteful.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:06 pm

theenvycorps wrote:Thanks for the reply, Recycled. I've familiarized myself with how I can expand the Digi, now I'm looking for opinions on what converter might fit my needs. I don't record over 48k, and can't via ADAT anyhow, so paying extra for a unit that goes up to 96 (which are most I've found) seems wasteful.
I think you'll have a hard time finding a current production converter that doesn't go up to at least 96. It seems most nowadays go all the way to 192.

I'm a bit out of my depth as far as recommendations go on this one. I've been checking out the Lynx Aurora series myself, but that's out of your stated budget area (and mine for the time being) I think.

Best of luck.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

theenvycorps
ass engineer

Post by theenvycorps » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Yeah, I'm willing to buy used if the price is right. Some of the RME stuff looks good to me, but I wonder if the difference is justifiable.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:20 pm

you won't get a "day and night difference" upgrade in your budget.

but, you can expand your capabilities within your budget.

The RME stuff would be a noticeable improvement over the stock 002 converters. But, it probably won't be a "blow your mind!" kind of improvement.

I'd say that if you're looking to expand your i/o, then you can do a good job of it for $1000. But, if you're looking for a significant upgrade to the quality of converters, then you need to increase your budget a bit.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:22 pm

A lot of people really like the Frontier Design Tango24. They are around $300 used. 8 channels AD/DA.

You could probably get a AD-8000 for $1000.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:13 pm

What is your price range?

Recycled_Brains wrote:you can do up to 8 tracks via the ADAT by hooking up an external converter (like the Apogee), but only at 24/48 or less. If you want to use higher sample rates, I believe it cuts the number of possible simultaneous tracks in half.
What you are talking about here is the SMUX protocol and the 001/002/003 does not support SMUX. You can only do up to 24bit/48k on the ADAT input.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:55 pm

I've been considering the RME ADI-2 for a while. It's only 2-in, 2-out, but it's also only $700 new, and it seems like many people are very happy with the conversion quality. Also, since it connects S/PDIF instead of ADAT, you could run up to 96 kHz, if you ever wanted to.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADI2/