Synchronizing two tape decks: TSR-8, R8

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Synchronizing two tape decks: TSR-8, R8

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:38 pm

Anybody know anything about sync'ing up two tape decks?

The decks: Tascam TSR-8, Fostex R-8. (I also have a DA-38 that I'd like to work in at some point, but not yet.)
The SMPTE device: J.L. Cooper PPS-2

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is this: do either of the analog decks have a device on-board that will allow the synchronizer to vary the capstan speed? Or will the PPS-2 do that?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Both machines (or at lease one) need to have some sort of external speed control input. Then the higest track needs to have smpte time code striped on them. Then you should really have an external syncronizer that can calculate the offsets and tell each machine what to do when.

I think the cooper box will just allow smpte to be converted to MTC to sync sequencers and stuff via MIDI.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:37 pm

I once managed to sync my R8 to my mac once using the MTC-1 unit that attaches to the R8's serial port and allows control via MIDI. But it was a right old headache :roll:

I've got a pdf of the R8 manual if that's any use to you, but it only really mentions 'tape sync' with regard to drum machines I'm afraid ...

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:15 pm

I have a fostex model 80, which is an earlier 1/4" 8-track machine, and it has a connector in the back to hook up a fostex synchronizer. If you could find one of those (I think it was a model 4030?), then you should be able to do it as drumsound describes.