Crackling/Distortion in my ear, am I the only one??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

burn
pushin' record

Crackling/Distortion in my ear, am I the only one??

Post by burn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:28 am

A few years ago I listened to a kick drum way too loud in the monitors and I damaged something in my left ear (I was earing crackling/distortion when listening to a loud sound) I checked my ears at the hospital and they found nothing, they said everything was fine... After a few weeks/month the crackling disapeared but it was still a bit sensitive.

So yesterday, while working on a guitar sound I went in front of the hiwatt cab and it was very loud, and after that I started to ear distortion/crackling again while listening to some frequencies (mostly mids)...

Anybody here with a similar experience? Am I going crazy?

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:56 am

I have a crackling in my left ear that comes and goes. My doctor said it was a very minor infection, and gave me some antibiotics which seemed to help. The crackling came back a couple of weeks ago, so it might be time to go see him again.

C

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 am

Colorblind wrote:I have a crackling in my left ear that comes and goes. My doctor said it was a very minor infection, and gave me some antibiotics which seemed to help. The crackling came back a couple of weeks ago, so it might be time to go see him again.

C
Was it caused by a loud sound?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 am

I ended up with crackling in an ear after getting the side of my head smacked by a wave while surfing. It was really loud and stunned me for a few seconds. The crackling seemed to go away within a few weeks.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:01 am

I have suffered from the crackling almost my whole life. Sounds like a torn speaker cone...

Originally, when I was like 10 years old, I would only experience it if my head was lower than my chest, or maybe lying down flat. Listening to headphones while lying flat never works, I get the blown speaker crackling every time. Eventually my life in bands and studio work brought it out fully. There have been times when I believed I had some amount of psychological control over it... :shock: For instance, it never bothers me while playing super loud music, only when I'm listening to it. It always flairs up in restaurants that are echo-y and loud, that's the worst. Or pickup truck cabs with the stereo playing. Too small, too much glass. Hasn't been too bad lately, and for that I am thankful.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:21 am

sometimes with really transient sounds my ears pop a little bit. doesn't hurt at all, it's just annoying. could be anything and it doesn't have to be terribly loud....for example the clatter of dishes is brutal.

btw burn, ms morespace is from montreal and it's nice to see you type the way she speaks, i.e. 'ear' for 'hear'. :D

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:sometimes with really transient sounds my ears pop a little bit. doesn't hurt at all, it's just annoying. could be anything and it doesn't have to be terribly loud....for example the clatter of dishes is brutal.

btw burn, ms morespace is from montreal and it's nice to see you type the way she speaks, i.e. 'ear' for 'hear'. :D
and I suppose she pronounce "though" and "dough" the same way? even when writing we can't hide we're french canadians!

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 pm

I suffer from it too. Only happens when I sing loud.
Led to the end of my days as a frontman.
I figure the eardrum might be slightly seperated from whatever it's anchored to, but I've never had it checked out.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:36 pm

burn wrote:and I suppose she pronounce "though" and "dough" the same way? even when writing we can't hide we're french canadians!
yeah, "th" doesn't exist for her.

"i think i 'twould be bedder if we went with your brudder to see your mudder anudder time."

she also says "ID" for "idea" and "in fire" instead of "on fire". so charming.

we visited your fine city a couple weeks ago, i loved it.