GTR pedal Leslie simulator

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gtr_joe
studio intern

GTR pedal Leslie simulator

Post by gtr_joe » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:21 am

Would like to get a pedal that simulates the Leslie rotating speaker.

Two affordable choices are the Danelectro "Rocky Road" and the Rocktron Vertigo.

Anyone have an opinion? Which is better.

Thanks.
gtr_joe

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:58 pm

the old Korg Toneworks G4 pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rcMhNB4ag

not cheap, tho.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:41 pm

I remember when that came out. What a great pedal. Very convincing.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:05 pm

Digitech XP200

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:34 pm

This thing Destonation Rotation Single sounds pretty damn good. the spin up/spin down thing is pretty realistic.

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm

I have this thing called an Excelsior LS-1 Rotating Speaker Simulator. It's Italian, and I believe was made for accordions. I bought mine in an accordion shop in North Dakota. It sounds pretty good, and does ramp up and down.

I'd seen it in the shop they year before, priced at $225 or something. It was still there the next time we passed through. I tried to deal with the guy, but he didn't budge much. He handed me his card to call if I changed my mind. I opened my wallet, and he saw a $100 bill. He put his cig down for a second, and wheezed, "I'll take the hundred". It's got three inputs, one for the "flutes" which is the leslie sound, and two non-effected inputs, so it also works like a mixer. One of my secret weapons in the studio.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 pm

wicked.

?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Darn, I'd like a G4, and the LS-1 looks great fun... I end up using digital-emulations when there's no leslie around, but none of them are that vibey IMHO.
But, I've really warmed to some of the univibe-type pedals, it's not the same thing, but great in it's own way...

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:04 pm

I like the Rocky Road ok, but it's not that great. I feel like I played a Vertigo once but wasn't that impressed but it could have been another make/model of vibe sound. The Boss RT20 is kind of interesting, pretty usable IMO, but even used it's still probably 120-180 US. The overdrive on it sucks though. I would like to find one of the old destination rotation pedals, as the new ones are meant to recreate the single rotor Leslies and Fender Vibratone speakers. (SRV "Cold Shot" sound). The clips sound awesome, but I want the twin rotor sound 90% of the time. Luckily I have Leslies.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:23 pm

I haven't tried the Line 6 Leslie modeler, but the two Leslies (Vibratone and horn/rotor Leslie) in the MM4 are not terrible, which leads me to think that the dedicated pedal is even better, which leads me to think that the Behringer clone you can buy for $30 is probably not bad at all. There is one at my local store, so I should try it out and give y'all a review.

That Excelsior pedal looks awesome! It looks just like my Leslie combo preamp that I use to run my guitar into my Leslie 825. How does it sound?

By the way, other than a real Leslie, which is pretty much impossible to beat, my favorite studio leslie simulation is running audio through the Native B4II plug-in. It has a nice grungy swirl that has really impressed me.

Roger

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotospheres were fun - discontinued, but I bet you can find them at your local superweb auction site.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:57 pm

The Voce "twin spin" was pretty great.

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:15 am

Rodgre wrote:......

That Excelsior pedal looks awesome! It looks just like my Leslie combo preamp that I use to run my guitar into my Leslie 825. How does it sound?

Roger
Here is a link to a song I used the Excelsior on... the organ is probably running through it, but its the guitar solo at the end, and the piano that show it off

http://www.careerrecords.com/old_pix.html

the link is at the top right of the page, you can't miss it
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks for the song clip GLEA. That sounds cool.

Hey does anybody know if any of these pedals have a stereo output? you know, a useful one, so I could run it to two different guitar amps to get the w i d e sound?
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

transient camp
audio school graduate

Post by transient camp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 am

The Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere has stereo outs. It also sounds great. Great slow-to-fast ramp-up and vise versa. Also has a breaker switch that will wind the rotation down to none. And a switch for guitar or keyboard output. I've had one I bought used on my severely abused, sweated-on and beer-spilt-on board for years now and it still works great.