Headphone Repair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Headphone Repair

Post by lifeintime » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Greetings -

I have 2 AKG C-270's headphones. One was given to me in a non-functional state but appears to be a cable problem. I have had the other pair for about 5 years and now the cable sounds like Rice Crispies.

After UTFSE and not seeing anything just wondering who knows what to avoid when soldering ittty-bitty little cables and if anyone knows where to get said cable assembly.

AKC has a one-stop repair for a flat rate that is north of $100.00 and I am a cheap bastard with a nice soldering iron and some experience.

Thanks

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Anything works for these. Strong, quality stereo RCA wire is my preferred choice because

a) there's always some around

b) it always manages to fit well

but with these you have to get the left and the right side in on one side.. which then transfers it to the other side via the headband, like the c240s.

so that may not fit.

in which case, skinny XLR cable should work.

if you have any kind of cable around with a ground and two connectors inside of it, you won't have to buy new cable.

when soldering itty bitty cabling, instead of putting the copper through wherever I am soldering I like to melt a little bit of the rubber shielding with it as a strain relief.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York