Please help me with a drum problem...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

squaresteve
pluggin' in mics

Please help me with a drum problem...

Post by squaresteve » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Hey everyone,

Sorry this is a longer post. I hope someone can help me with my less than ideal situation :)

I recently had a band come in for a full length that started drum tracking with the intention of using the same drummer for every song. But... due to the technical nature of certain parts within a given song, a different drummer (who was actually the guitar player of the band) was needed in order to play the parts accurately enough. In some extreme cases, the drum tracks for certain songs became a conglomerate of THREE different drummers, all playing the parts that they were able to play up to par. Each of these drummers have wildly different striking velocities, resulting in a somewhat disjointed sound (to say the least). The punch-ins ranged in length from entire sections of song to measure-long fills.

This is a totally less than ideal situation, but it was the only way that their drum tracks could be completed. I should mention that no amount of trying to get them to match each other's playing styles convinced them to play any differently.

In light of that, I figured that sampling the entire kit was going to be the only way to make these tracks sound cohesive enough for listeners to believe that a single drummer was playing throughout the song. However, I almost NEVER sample the snare drum and usually will do whatever I can to salvage the original snare track. FYI--I am planning to use samples that I create from the actual drums that were played and I usually use aptrigga for sampling.

The question I have is two-fold:

1) Is there any way I can salvage the original snare track? Even the tones that come out of the drum are very different from player to player... Also, one drummer was heavy handed on the drums, and the other on the cymbals, so the bleed in the snare track sounds really different as well... What can I do to unify it, if anything? I've tried every conventional method I can think of with poor results.

2) If I do have to sample the snare track, how do I make certain that each hit is phase coherent? What if one hit that I chop up is a few wave cycles off from another hit that I chop up to make the samples? I still feel like there might be an element of human error even if I zoom in as far as I can and chop from the first visible sign of the transient.

Any suggestions, tips, or information would be helpful, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Steve

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:52 pm

if it were me, i would abandon the idea of making it sound like one drummer, just embrace the total clusterfuck you have on your hands, and make it sound CRAZY.

seriously.

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Check the latest TapeOp for a how-to on reamping drums.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:16 pm

If it's close to the click track, just send it to a real drummer and let them redo the whole drum track.
Harumph!

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:if it were me, i would abandon the idea of making it sound like one drummer, just embrace the total clusterfuck you have on your hands, and make it sound CRAZY.

seriously.
I was just going to say this. Forget trying to make it sound the same and just make each section sound different.

If that won't work, then you have a crap load of editing on your hands.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:29 pm

And don't tell Ringo, he'll get his feelings hurt and quit.

Again

:D
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 pm

dsw wrote:And don't tell Ringo, he'll get his feelings hurt and quit.

Again

:D
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Is this a "pride" issue for the bad drummer? Just retrack it with the best drummer and don't tell him.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:28 pm

T-rex wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:if it were me, i would abandon the idea of making it sound like one drummer, just embrace the total clusterfuck you have on your hands, and make it sound CRAZY.

seriously.
I was just going to say this. Forget trying to make it sound the same and just make each section sound different.

If that won't work, then you have a crap load of editing on your hands.
+2

embrace the madness :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:44 pm

i agree to embrace it. not knowing what the songs sound like, my first idea would be to process the trakcs totally differently and pan them differently. listen to beatles good day sunshine... one of the drum tracks is heavier on the cymbals, and the other might not even have any. i'd have to listen again.

-mike
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over our drummers - that our drum sounds had become unmanageable

Step 2 - Came to believe that a Message Board greater than ourselves could restore our tracks to sanity

Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our sounds and our mix over to the care of the TOMB as we understood the TOMB

Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless sonic inventory of ourselves

Step 5 - Admitted to the TOMB, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our bad drummers

Step 6 - Were entirely ready to have the TOMB remove all these defects of rushing, dragging, inconsistent technique, and reliance on splash cymbals

Step 7 - Humbly asked the TOMB to remove our crappy tracks

Step 8 - Made a list of all bands and performers we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all

Step 9 - Made direct amends to such musicians wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others

Step 10 - Continued to take personal inventory and when we got bad drum sounds promptly admitted it

Step 11 - Sought through prayer and constant internet access to improve our conscious contact with the TOMB as we understood the TOMB, praying only for knowledge of Larry Crane's will for us and the power to carry that out

Step 12 - Having had a sonic awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other engineers, and to practice these principles in all our projects
Prog out with your cog out.

squaresteve
pluggin' in mics

Post by squaresteve » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Embracing it is definitely a good thought. I think that may produce the coolest results. It might be a tough sell though...

Thanks,
Steve

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:21 pm

squaresteve wrote:Embracing it is definitely a good thought. I think that may produce the coolest results. It might be a tough sell though...

Thanks,
Steve
Why are you worried about selling it? They were the ones who went into the studio to record unable to play the parts. It's fine if the plan was to have each person play different sections but it was a kludge. I'd tell'em if they want it to sound like a consistent part then it's gonna cost them. Surely more than if they re-cut the parts with a competent player.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:14 pm

I like the embrace the madness idea myself. Reamping the drums like in the current issue, or possibly through a PA could also be cool.

It's gonna take a lot of work to make the drums work any method you try (including using samples). So my biggest advice is is charge hourly!

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Wow, that is one of the craziest situations that I have ever heard!
I think that you either have to embrace the insanity of it all as has been suggested, or you have to retrigger samples for the entire thing...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:23 pm

I thought the thread title was "Please help me with a drug problem ..." and then I read the 12-step post and realized it is! :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.