help me build bass traps. pics inside of my croom.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wonder
audio school

help me build bass traps. pics inside of my croom.

Post by wonder » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Here's my control room I just moved in to. i need bass traps ... does anyone have any good links to DIY bass traps seeing how money is tight and buying some is out of the question.

thanks!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:49 pm

maybe build some Super Chunks?

or get some bass trap bags from Ready Traps Ready Bags.
how-to: http://www.readyacoustics.com/documents ... lation.pdf
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:40 am

well, you could just pick up some 4" thick panels of Owens Corning 703 and wrap them in fabric, then hang them so they staddle your corners (including the horizontal ones).

I just found and picked up today (actually) some 2" 705 at CWCI Insulation, in the City of Industry, but I'm pretty sure I got the last of it from them. I got the impression that they might have some 703 still though. If not, the CWCI in San Diego has some 703, or at least did last week when I called them.

You could also go superchunk with this stuff as well.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:51 am

I followed these step by step directions...once you get going you can make them pretty quickly. The biggest cost is the OC 703 or OC 705. If i remember it cost me about $90 for enough 703 to make six 4" traps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

Gerry

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:36 am

You can also use this stuff instead of 703 if I am not mistaken: http://store.greendepot.com/-strse-375/ ... Detail.bok

I'll be treating a room in my new house in the next month or two and I'm planning on using UltraTouch.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:26 pm

Wow that bag tutorial gave me everything I need not to buy the bag and cover the absorber myself. I'll put something in that attaches easily to a hook in the wall and some foam backing to give it a little space. Saving $$ has never been so easy.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:34 pm

I wish I had a croom.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:50 am

b3groover wrote:I wish I had a croom.
seriously. i just showed for the croom photos.

yeah, owens corning 703, or do a search for "Ethan Winer".

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 pm

I was right in the middle of making a couple sets of these as the thread was posted, so I took a couple of photos and made a quick how-to for y'all:

How to make Acoustic Absorption Panels (Gobos)

These are thinner gobos for moving around, but I've got the same things hanging on the walls and ceiling, only thicker (3" instead of 1").

I love the bag idea, as linked above! I should make a bunch of these for the final round of ceiling panels in my live room...

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 am

I don't even need to make gobos anytime soon, but I just wanted to say props on the how-to.

damn i love this board...
off somewhere listening.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm

trask wrote:I don't even need to make gobos anytime soon, but I just wanted to say props on the how-to.

damn i love this board...
+1

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I just settled into a row home in Philly and although I have decided that I'm going to eventually build a room-in-a-room in my basement, it's a plan that isn't going to happen for at least a year.

In the meantime, I have a middle bedroom that has hardwood and is approximately 8x12 (possibly larger, need to measure) with 8' to 10' ceilings. However, it is a rectangle, and the only window in the room is not leaving much space between its edge and one of the room's corners. I'm imagining this as a control room, feeding a snake to different rooms (lots of hardwood and 10' ceilings) & down to the basement. I want to be able to mix and do some tracking in the control room. Investing in one of those Deadroom iso cabs, too.

So I need bass traps and some extra treatment to deaden the very reflective bedroom. It's all old original plaster and hardwood floors. I want to build modular treatments that can eventually be moved to the basement when I build down there.

Question for the OP... What are your room dimensions?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

shoemakesmusic
audio school graduate

Post by shoemakesmusic » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Anybody recommend a different fabric than burlap? My wife is having issues with that. From what I've read most every one says burlap, but maybe there is something slightly more attractive to the woman eye.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:46 pm

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:25 pm

shoemakesmusic wrote:Anybody recommend a different fabric than burlap? My wife is having issues with that. From what I've read most every one says burlap, but maybe there is something slightly more attractive to the woman eye.
You can get burlap in multiple colors. The fabric store by my house has it in off white, olive, chocolate and this weird red. I wasn't able to buy it in a dimension large enough to cover a 703 panel in one piece, it required two. A couple of times I mixed and matched these colors. When my girlfriend saw the live room for the first time in a while she thought I was getting interested in interior decorating. This stuff can look like yuppie art snob decoration. For real!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:12 am

I know they ain't dirt cheap ($649 list it says), but SpringTraps are rocking my control room. Consider this too: if you move or change things around it's easy to deal with these. Shit, you can even sell them to someone else. You can't do that with a pile of 703...

http://www.msr-inc.com/studio/springtra ... gtrap.html
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com