Vista question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Vista question

Post by mikehattem » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:36 pm

I imagine this has been gone over before but I couldn't find anything in a search.

I am upgrading, finally, from an old 1.3GHz 512mb RAM Dell PC I got used about 4 years ago. I have been able to run Sonar4 and 6 on it along with Reason, EZ Drummer, and a fair amount of plugins despite its specs. My new desktop will be an Intel Core2 Duo 2.534GHz dual-core with 3GB RAM. But Dell will not ship with XP anymore. So, I was wondering if anyone is still having issues with Vista regarding Sonar, Reason, or Waves. I have other plugins that I could go without if necessary but not Reason or my few Waves plugs. Since I hadn't even considered switching to Vista and wasn't planning on the good fortune that helped me get the new PC I didn't keep up on the compatibility issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Have you ever bought a computer with xp on it, that you dont use anymore?

If you have, then you have bought a license to use it. As long as you purchased a pc with xp on it( or a actual xp install disc) then you have 1 license of xp.

Install it on the new pc and forget vista. It is a RAM hog.

( tinyxp5 is great )
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Vista is much worse than just a RAM hog.

it's an utter piece of crap.

MS has even decided to extend support for XP in light of how much Vista is a broken lump of utter SHITE.

stick with XP.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:28 pm

vista is a practical joke

a well funded joke, but a joke nonetheless
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 pm

vista is just there to fund Windows 7 development. Don't take the bait, Audio programs will all be 64-bit ready by the time windows 7 comes out. Until then the only POSSIBLE reason to use vista is 64-bit... and it's not ready.
Everything louder than everything else.

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:33 am

I didn't plan on even trying to bother with the 64-bit Vista... and I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll probably have to format it and install XP (I do have a license from my current PC).

However, I thought i might get around having to do it since I don't need a 300% increase in processing power over the machine I have now just more stability. Even if Vista does eat up CPU it would surely still leave me far more power than I have now (from 1.3GHz 512 RAM to 2.53GHz dual core 3gb RAM), no??

However, if there were compatibility issues with Sonar, Reason, or Waves then I would obviously not even bother trying Vista or if they haven't resolved the ASIO issues yet.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 am

Um.... if you get it working yes, it will be a little faster. If you install XP it will be lots faster because the Kernel will have a bout half the footprint and less memory leakage and general hog-itude.

You could partition if you don't want to wipe vista, installing XP on a fast machine should take less than an hour.
Everything louder than everything else.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:04 am

*installs DOS 6.22 in under five minutes*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

vista rules

Post by timmymacdd » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:10 am

WIndows vista kicks XP's butt all the way around. UNLESS you have compatability issues.....which should be rare.

Otherwise though it runs smoother and better and if you have updated your computer and have the correct amount of ram in it than vista is incredible.

I know us music makers use lots of ram but I have had vista on my system for over a year now....and I have not had to reload the operating system once...unlike XP where I had to reload windows every 5 months.

Never had a problem with anything I actually needed......sure some old digital camera or printer that went out of business won't have drivers yet..........or ever- BUT other than that it works flawlessly.

I am not sure where the windows haters started this type of hatred of microsoft or why they keep it going.

I hate microsoft too for some reason.....I use mozilla firefox. I hate apple too. linux is crap that doesn't work for recording. BUT windows Vista has been the easiest and fastest best working machine I have ever had.

Hell even one further I use a stolen copy with a fake motherboard bios....and I had to delete security files to get it to upgrade......and it still works flawlessly. One install in a year. SO I bought a real copy and haven't even installed it since my first version is still working with everything I use.

I cannot really figure out why people dog it.

TRUE there are a few new things and problems that need to be figured out but in computers you always have to keep on learning to fix things at a spur of the moment thing. I would never go back to XP or suggest it.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:05 pm

I fucking am hating vista right now with sonar. I use a computer provided by my job and i get a new one every 2 years. since 2000 i have recorded on these laptops with sonar. no proplems, rock solid. this new one with vista. sucks. big time. haven't figured out why yet. had to "upgrade" to sonar 7 to work with vista. crashes alot, lots of clicks and pops, etc. boo

i am fucking hating computer recording these days, for the first time. sooooo tired of compatability issues -- hardware, software, operating systems, versions etc.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:42 pm

I don't know... I haven't had any compatibility issues yet and I've installed all my software. I have 3gb of RAM and Vista was using enough that BFD was stuttering and I was getting Memory Low warnings from an 800mb kit. Anyway, I went online and did some optimizing tweaks and while its still using way more memory than any OS should ever need to I have been able to free up about 2gb of RAM. I still have some further tweaks as well.

How would I go about partitioning my C:\ drive and installing XP on it?? Would I then have to reinstall all my software on the partition?? I've never done that before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:56 pm

HHMMMM>>>

First of all.....If you are going to XP then probably don't use vista too......

Duo operating systems are stupid. WHat are you planning-to shut down XP from you audio program to go check your email in vista?

THAt would be stupid.

AND BFD is freaking a hugs memory binder when using it. especially an 800 megabite sample file..........

In order to use that you should be using your freeze track button.....so after using each instrument you need to freeze edit it in whatever program that you are using and ru the resulting file as a simple audio file......so that your computer doesn't have to keep on running that vst as it does your eq's and other audio and plugins.

Vista should not have to be tweeked and doing so will probably mess it up more than it helps.

It would be better to run two seperate hard drives with vista on one and all of your audio recording to another.......

THere are lots of things that can jack up a computer..........usually it has something to do with something hardware......

It is hard to tell without knowing your actual stuff.......but with a 3 gig of ram computer you shouldn't have much trouble in vista at all. and you shouldn't need any tweeks. Unless you put that into an older computer......

I also should note that I don't run vista on the same drive as my recording audio drive......and I have fast drives as of a year and a half ago.....so I guess they are slow by now....but I use two....and maybe that's why I don't have a problem with vista.

Also I keep all of my crappy videos and songs and what not on an external hard drive or two.......that keeps my computer light and working.........

Hope that helps./....give more data and someone might be able to help you more.

But if you only have one hard drive than you can't load vista and xp together anyways.

And I would imagine that your computer problem has nothing to do with vista it still wouldn't work with xp and an 800 meg sample either.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:02 am

mikehattem wrote:How would I go about partitioning my C:\ drive and installing XP on it?? Would I then have to reinstall all my software on the partition?? I've never done that before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I did this using the directions at apcmag. Works fine. Your computer will look at the partition just like another drive.

I had to do this because one of my jobs requires using some legacy software. Otherwise I actually like Vista. I agree it should not use so much of your computer's resources but it can be tweaked. I actually don't like having to boot in XP anymore. I don't see what the big deal is.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 am

I agree with the guy above....

But if you don't have 2 internal hard drives start there first...IMO

Usually putting two or three partitions on big hard drives is a really neat way to work and helps keep things organized.

I haven't tried tweaks with vista because I haven't had to yet.

keeping drives fragmented is a touch easier if the operating and program files are together.........they don't change as much as the audio folder does.

LOL and anyone that has double booted will definately tell you it sucks butt.....hence the reason why linux can't get off the ground.

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:16 am

OKay let me see if I got this...

I should get a new external HD and load XP on it... then reinstall all my software to that HD except for the BFD samples?? And from then on just use the boot option when I want to boot up to record??

One more question if you guys don't mind... I have an internal SATA HD so would it be better to have the BFD samples on my internal drive if I'm booting from an external HD to take advantage of the way higher transfer rates of the SATA drive rather than the other USB external HD I have right now. I imagine I would have no problems then since even with Vista running I don't have many problems with BFD. The machine handles BFD but I haven't yet done a full project and want to maximize my plug-in potential. I could always freeze BFD which wouldn't be too much of a hassle in Sonar and I used to do it with EZD on my previous PC which was very weak.

BTW, I am running an Intel Core2Duo dual core 2.53Ghz with 3Gb RAM with a 250gb SATA HD and another 250GB on an external USB HD.